SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 20-03-13, 07:37 PM   #51
Griff-SV

Default Re: Anyone for Castle Combe 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomor View Post
even if it does bring down your insurance, im sure their 'admin fee' will just happen to be the same amount

Haha too true!
Old 10-04-13, 02:07 PM   #52
Griff-SV

Hopefully this doesn't make me sound like I'm on the scrounge, but I was thinking the other day as I will only be able to ride up to a trackday it limits what tools/kit I can bring as I only have a backpack to carry stuff.

If I happened to be going to one on the same day as any of you guys here would it be ok to 'team up' (sounds very corny I know!) with regards to tools/kit etc. Plus having not popped my trackday cherry yet I have no idea how the day is run & what to expect during

Cheers
Old 10-04-13, 10:47 PM   #53
ogden
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff-SV View Post
Hopefully this doesn't make me sound like I'm on the scrounge, but I was thinking the other day as I will only be able to ride up to a trackday it limits what tools/kit I can bring as I only have a backpack to carry stuff.

If I happened to be going to one on the same day as any of you guys here would it be ok to 'team up' (sounds very corny I know!) with regards to tools/kit etc.
Personally, yes, totally. If you needed to borrow tools, or if I knew in advance you'd need some fuel bringing along, I could probably sort you out. I'd be surprised if anyone on here said otherwise. Do unto others, etc.

The level of camaraderie at a trackday varies - sometimes you find yourself sharing a garage with a complete bunch of ********s, other times it's like a family picnic - but generally if someone in the same garage, stranger or not, needed to borrow some tools or whatever then unless I had a reason to think I was being screwed over I'd be more than happy to help.

For context, I've been ripped off before, where I've lent something to someone at a trackday and not got it back. Wouldn't stop me lending again (though I might draw the line at something expensive like a torque wrench unless I had eyeballs on it throughout)

I often do trackdays on my own, just out of necessity. Sometimes I run into people I know, sometimes I have friends pop along to say hello during the day, other times I just get chatting with people I'm parked up next to in the pit box or paddock. It's rare to be lonely at a trackday.

So. Donington, No Limits, 27th of May, £139. Do it. You know you want to.

PS. Van hire is often cheaper than you think, and at least if you bin it you'll have a way to get home. Just ask Treacle.
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 09:12 AM   #54
Griff-SV

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I will have a look into Donington, are you taking a van up there then?

I did think about investing in a bike trailer maybe later on this year, or making one if I can
Cheers
Old 11-04-13, 01:30 PM   #55
ogden
Mega Poster

Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate it.

I will have a look into Donington, are you taking a van up there then?
Yeah, I've only once ridden to a trackday. Much prefer to take a van - it's comfier, means I can put sticky tyres on the bike and not destroy them riding to/from the track, and if I bin the bike I can just throw it in the van, not sit at the track wondering where it all went wrong.
Old 11-04-13, 02:14 PM   #56
Griff-SV

Do you stop over or just do an all in one day trip?
Old 11-04-13, 02:31 PM   #57
ogden
Mega Poster

I stay somewhere near the track the night before. It's bad enough being at the track for 7.30 am as it is without having a two hour drive beforehand.
Old 20-04-13, 08:47 PM   #58
Griff-SV

I have well and truly been bitten by the trackway bug now, even though I only got the one 15 minute session today at bikesafe I absolutely loved it! Booking one asap!
Old 21-04-13, 12:06 AM   #59
Skybaba

Default Anyone for Castle Combe 2013?

Quote:
I have well and truly been bitten by the trackway bug now, even though I only got the one 15 minute session today at bikesafe I absolutely loved it! Booking one asap!
Ha ha, sounds like we have a racer in the making!!

So we're textiles allowed on the track?

Quote:
I bought myself some leathers anyway this month as I felt it was worth getting a set for future exploits
I see you've already shelled out for some leathers.
Old 21-04-13, 06:05 AM   #60
Griff-SV

Haha maybe!

Yeah they let people with textiles on track. I bought a set of leathers as I intend to do more track days from now on