SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-03-09, 12:25 PM   #51
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Default Re: Still need help, last chance this is!

All this talk of dropping it - Please confirm you have good quality crash bungs on it
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 12:26 PM   #52
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
which will give you a minor on the new bike test.
Good (& I know) Anything the teach you on DAS is probably wrong
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 12:26 PM   #53
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthja2801 View Post
If one foot is enough what about when wanting to turn right? If i had my left foot down would i be able to support the bike! I just worry about sitting at junctions falling of to the right and me head getting ran over!
You think too much! One foot down is plenty and will become second nature with practice. I'm another vote for getting out there and riding.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 12:27 PM   #54
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
If one foot is enough what about when wanting to turn right? If i had my left foot down would i be able to support the bike! I just worry about sitting at junctions falling of to the right and me head getting ran over!
So dont put your right foot down then, If you put your left foot down the bike will naturally lean that way so if it does go over, it'll fall to the left not the right and then you wont be lead with your head out in the middle of the road.

If you stop to one side of the centre of the road i.e where a cars right hand side wheels are, sometimes theres a groove there and the bike will be sit lower and then your left foot will go out in the raised bit in the middle so you'll gain a bit of height that way to.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 12:33 PM   #55
Ruthja2801

God your all trying to help so much, thank you!

I'm just so angry with myself!!!

Stu why do the leathers make a difference? I don't wear them so i don't know!

I'm gonna have to try it with my draggin jeans on, hopefully they won't ge caught on the foot pegs like my trousers did yesterday! The pegs are right where i need to put my feet, I'v got some right shinny bruises on my calves!
Old 06-03-09, 12:37 PM   #56
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Stu why do the leathers make a difference? I don't wear them so i don't know!
More fellas running to your aid if/when you topple over at traffic lights
Old 06-03-09, 07:02 PM   #57
John 675

Smile Re: Still need help, last chance this is!

Quote:
..... Sounds to me like the ride height isn't the main problem.. Your just unsure and scared about riding your bike which is okay because you will get used to it however if you keep fabricating reasons not go out then you will never learn.. I see your points on the what ifs but what if you gave it a real effort and it turned out to be mostly in your head.. Bottom line one foot is enough try it in your garage because it's probably more difficult to hold it up with the engine off than when your sat at the traffic lights. The sv isn't too badly balanced either.. Your sv can't be fierce if you don't ride it LOL hope you get it sorted
Old 06-03-09, 08:04 PM   #58
scottjames

if the pegs are in the way, what about some peg raisers or new rear sets, get them up and back abit then they will clear the path for your legs.
Old 06-03-09, 08:14 PM   #59
diamond

Quote:
The pegs are right where i need to put my feet, I'v got some right shinny bruises on my calves!
I had this exact same problem when i first learnt to ride. after a week of bruised calves i learnt to put my foot down behind the footpeg instead of infront. Fizz just couldn't understand how i was getting so bruised until i showed him that to get my foot down my leg was literally straight down the side of the bike right by the peg. Gangly people like him put there feet down about 4 inches away from the bike.

You really just need to get out and ride. You will learn to read the road, to never park where you can't just ride away, to always stop on the right bit of camber so the wheels are on lower tarmac than the tarmac my feet are going to go down on.
You will become an expert at slow speed control because it's a bit of extra effort for us shorties to stop, shift weight and get a foot down that you do anything to not have to stop.
Old 06-03-09, 08:21 PM   #60
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
I had this exact same problem when i first learnt to ride. after a week of bruised calves i learnt to put my foot down behind the footpeg instead of infront. Fizz just couldn't understand how i was getting so bruised until i showed him that to get my foot down my leg was literally straight down the side of the bike right by the peg. Gangly people like him put there feet down about 4 inches away from the bike.

You really just need to get out and ride. You will learn to read the road, to never park where you can't just ride away, to always stop on the right bit of camber so the wheels are on lower tarmac than the tarmac my feet are going to go down on.
You will become an expert at slow speed control because it's a bit of extra effort for us shorties to stop, shift weight and get a foot down that you do anything to not have to stop.
+1 Yes riding will improve your confidence no end, and this isn't the time of year to do that, slippery roads, wet, dark & cold etc.

I was just the same after picking up my SV, after 15years without a bike.

I rode it home in the ****in rain, on one cylinder for the last 15miles. I was a nervous wreck at the end.

So bide you time until the nice weather gets here
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote