SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-10-11, 06:47 PM   #51
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Warming up the engine?

So have we decided that warming up is a bad idea,the oil circulates fairly instantly,the engine reaches optimum temp most quickly and with least wear if you ride it gently straight away?
Thats what Hitler said the last two dozen times we asked him
Old 09-10-11, 06:52 PM   #52
AZZ3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
You're right. It is, 100%, a joke. It's about serious mechanical matters, but it's all a joke. And you have completely proven that you can't take one.

But if you've read anything I've written then you now know more about carbs than you did before so I think karma is on my side.

I probably come across as some sarcastic, patronising git. I don't think I'll lose sleep over it if I'm honest.
I can take a joke just as good as the next guy, and I have read everything you've written otherwise I wouldn't have quoted everything you've said. I've also managed to read everything I've said twice since you've repeted me on numerous occasion's.

and Nor will I.
Old 09-10-11, 06:55 PM   #53
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Thats what Hitler said the last two dozen times we asked him

Embee did a brilliant post on this subject once, but I can't find it!
Old 09-10-11, 07:13 PM   #54
Messie
The Teacer
Mega Poster

AZZ3R - I am a mechanical numpty. Putting oil into the right hole is technically challenging to me. This is why I have watched, listened and learned very closely to assertain whose advice I should trust. I've come to the conclusion there are 3, maybe 4, people on the org whose advice and opinion I trust. Therefore when one of these people says something,I believe it and act on it whenever appropriate.
Yorkie Chris is one of these people. His manner may be abrupt at times, but he sure as hell knows what he's talking about.
Go and have a long read of all of the advice on here (not just this thread), then come back with a possibly slightly less *****ly approach
Old 09-10-11, 07:14 PM   #55
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Oh dear...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-11, 07:16 PM   #56
Lozzo

We've got an ER6F in at work with a piston that's cracked right across the top in line with the gudgeon pin. The owner confessed that he never warms the engine before revving it, he just sets off as soon as it's started and canes it. £2500 worth of damage to repair with new parts cos it needs a new set of barrels, which means a new set of pistons and it's done a con-rod too. We're breaking it for spares.

I don't let my bike sit there ticking over, I ride it from cold but keep the revs down and treat it as if running in until it's warmed up, only then will I start using the revs
Old 09-10-11, 07:49 PM   #57
victor_meldrew

Quote:
It's not about the fuel, it's about the best way to warm it up... which is by riding it gently. Only stand there warming it up until it will tick over by itself.
+ 1 from me ... I will try to put the choke in as soon as possible, and then ride slowly or the first couple o miles
Old 09-10-11, 08:42 PM   #58
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
We've got an ER6F in at work with a piston that's cracked right across the top in line with the gudgeon pin.

I don't let my bike sit there ticking over, I ride it from cold but keep the revs down and treat it as if running in until it's warmed up, only then will I start using the revs
Cold seize leading to failure?

Warm up you describe also has advantage of warming tyres before you push them too, makes them last.
Old 09-10-11, 08:57 PM   #59
Lozzo

Quote:
Cold seize leading to failure?

Warm up you describe also has advantage of warming tyres before you push them too, makes them last.
I use the warming up time to warm myself up in the morning and evening, to acclimatise myself with the bike again.

ER6s and Versys have very short skirted pistons, they need proper warming up otherwise the pistons do rock a bit. There is cold seizure damage to the l/h cylinder. The guy has bought a new bike from us and we took it in px - we could get the cylinder replated, fit a new piston and a new rod, but the bike is a scruffy 2008 model, has 23,000 miles and looks like it has never been washed after three winters. It really isn't worth our while rebuilding it so I'll break it.
Old 09-10-11, 11:45 PM   #60
enzoalex

I always try to warm my bike up before pushing it.

However sometimes I wait a while before setting off because I know I'll be going down a dual carriageway almost instantly.

So do you guys think it's ok to start the bike, get going and within about 2 minutes be doing 50/60 down a dual carriageway. I normally try and find a longer route to get there through the local neighbourhood, to help the bike warm up a bit.