SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-11-05, 10:04 AM   #51
Mike1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819
yeeeeeesss and if there is less oil what happens to the pressure??

it goes out side normal paramitiers and should come on no?
I think you will find from prevous discussions on this topic that it *doesn't* go outside normal parameters until there is very little oil left, i.e. less oil than is required to safely maintain the engine.
Old 29-11-05, 10:53 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1234
Quote:
yeeeeeesss and if there is less oil what happens to the pressure??

it goes out side normal paramitiers and should come on no?
I think you will find from prevous discussions on this topic that it *doesn't* go outside normal parameters until there is very little oil left, i.e. less oil than is required to safely maintain the engine.
i agree with that, but my point was if the normal permiters alow the engine to go bang without warning you till its to late, imho in ths day and age thats out of order from suzuki, cars have billions of warning lights these days and yet,,,, the k3 onwards model only has an oil light that comes on to late?
Old 29-11-05, 11:14 AM   #53
BillyC
Mega Poster

I think whether or not it was anything to do with workmanship of the SV engine, the fact that it was some 3000 miles beyond its oil change ensures that they won't touch it.

It takes 15 minutes to change the oil... very simple, and it's the best way you can love your bike. Alas, perhaps the Blue Cow was not loved.

Get her a new heart, and look after this one.
Old 29-11-05, 11:51 AM   #54
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
the k3 onwards model only has an oil light that comes on to late?
By your logic the vast majority of bikes and cars have an oil light that 'comes on too late', this is simply not the case. As the engine speed, temperature and oil viscosity change, the oil pressure will vary, now even discounting oil grade and temperature, as you use the engine at different speeds the oil pump which is driven by the engine delivers different pressures.

Example: Let's say for sake of argument the oil pressure at 5000 rpm is about 50psi, and that's about what you need to ensure the engine works well, so let's set the pressure switch to operate the light at about 45psi, great! that'll tell us if there's enough pressure for running around at this sort of speed. But what about if you stop at the lights and the engine speed drops to tickover, the pressure will drop to about 10-15psi, if the pressure switch operates at say 45psi, the light is going to be on now and it's going to be telling you - wrongly - that there's something wrong.

There's a way to tell if you have enough oil, it's the window in the clutch casing, it gives you information about how much oil you have in your engine and it's one of the instruments every bit as much as the speedo or tacho is.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-05, 12:09 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
Quote:
the k3 onwards model only has an oil light that comes on to late?
By your logic the vast majority of bikes and cars have an oil light that 'comes on too late', this is simply not the case. As the engine speed, temperature and oil viscosity change, the oil pressure will vary, now even discounting oil grade and temperature, as you use the engine at different speeds the oil pump which is driven by the engine delivers different pressures.

Example: Let's say for sake of argument the oil pressure at 5000 rpm is about 50psi, and that's about what you need to ensure the engine works well, so let's set the pressure switch to operate the light at about 45psi, great! that'll tell us if there's enough pressure for running around at this sort of speed. But what about if you stop at the lights and the engine speed drops to tickover, the pressure will drop to about 10-15psi, if the pressure switch operates at say 45psi, the light is going to be on now and it's going to be telling you - wrongly - that there's something wrong.

There's a way to tell if you have enough oil, it's the window in the clutch casing, it gives you information about how much oil you have in your engine and it's one of the instruments every bit as much as the speedo or tacho is.
not at all....

look... the bik eran out of oil.... yes? well enuff to cause it to go bang...

not tell me.. should the oil light come on or not when u are running out of oil... yes it should, regardless if it s alow oil or a pressure light.. they are linked...

in this case.. ignoring the late service which was a mistake... the light did not come on in time warning of a differential oil pressure due to low oil... imho thi swoudl tel lme it is set wrong.. in the wrong place ... etc etc.. and thsi isnt the first one we know to have done this....

i am not arguing weathe ror not suzuki should pay.. its clear on that...
what im saying is imho,,, the light should have come on to warn you you are low on oil/ dogey oil pressure earlier avoiding a kaput engine...
Old 29-11-05, 12:31 PM   #56
The Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC
I think whether or not it was anything to do with workmanship of the SV engine, the fact that it was some 3000 miles beyond its oil change ensures that they won't touch it.

It takes 15 minutes to change the oil... very simple, and it's the best way you can love your bike. Alas, perhaps the Blue Cow was not loved.

Get her a new heart, and look after this one.
Billy,

Do you ever have anything nice to say?

It was regularly serviced, and for your information, was booked in for a service the very next morning.
The fact that I missed 1 service is, YES, my fault, and the engine was being topped up with oil. With the amount of miles I do on a regular basis I guess on this 1 occassion I just got unlucky.
No oil, no oil pressure warning, oil lelvel had been checked when I was cleaning the bike 2 weeks before. And then not used for a week when I was on Holiday, so the un-explainable - explained

Nothing else to add to the matter - My fault, and have accepted it.
Old 29-11-05, 12:33 PM   #57
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
What Alex said
You can't ignore the late service at all.

By your logic you could run the bike for 50,000 miles without servicing then complain there isn't an idiot light to tell you your brake pads have worn down.

If you don't want the responsibility of servicing, take it to the dealer at the required service intervals. Otherwise, the responsibility is yours and you've noone else to blame if something breaks.
Old 29-11-05, 12:38 PM   #58
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

454697819 I'm genuinely sorry that you don't like what I'm writing here, but I have some bad news:

That's the way it is. Not just on an SV, not just on Suzukis, on just about every bike I can think of, and, as said before, most cars too.

Please go find me a motorcycle that has the oil warning light worked by a different system and thus would give you the warning you want in the manner you're asking for.

(There's only one I can think of, that has an oil level sensor and no pressure switch, which is odd 'cos it has a window in the side of the engine for checking the oil level).
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

Old 29-11-05, 12:44 PM   #59
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
That's the way it is. Not just on an SV, not just on Suzukis, on just about every bike I can think of, and, as said before, most cars too.
My ikkle Clio has an idiot warning
Old 29-11-05, 12:45 PM   #60
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
My ikkle Clio has an idiot warning
Said most didn't I :P