SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-02-10, 11:37 AM   #51
amnesia

Default Re: Coming soon to a roadside near you.

Blurb double post

Last edited by amnesia; 18-02-10 at 11:42 AM.
Old 18-02-10, 11:41 AM   #52
amnesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
This means the best way to reduce the KSI stats is to target riders

I agree - but I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a corrolation between the riders most likely to crash unaided and the riders who think they know how to ride 'properly'. Generally speaking of course.

Now put yourself in the shoes of people responsible for road safety and the police - how are they going to successfully engage with these riders?
Old 18-02-10, 11:42 AM   #53
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
I agree.

The problem is that the people who need the education / addition training etc are the ones who think they don't. Engaging with these riders is very difficult I imagine.
There's an echo in here dude

That's almost word for word what I posted somewhere waaaaay back in the thread

Looks like we'll just have to agree to agree on this one
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-10, 11:44 AM   #54
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
I agree - but I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a corrolation between the riders most likely to crash unaided and the riders who think they know how to ride 'properly'. Generally speaking of course.
Quite possibly

Problem being gathering statistical data from the riders involved in fatal crashes is astoundingly difficult

(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
Old 18-02-10, 12:11 PM   #55
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triv650 View Post
Whereas I agree that all bikers, although specifically young newbies like meself, need education from experienced and qualified instructors, I think greater emphasis should be put on educating drivers of cars.

Although it is true that bikers make up a disproportionate amount of the road deaths each year compared to cars, the cause of the deaths and whose fault they are are disproportionately the fault of drivers (70% or around I believe).

So whilst at first glance it would make clear sense to educate the small group that contributes the higher amount of deaths, the larger group that cause a greater amount of deaths seems equally, if not more important to educate.

My real beef is with the oldies that are still on the road, some without taking any proper form of test. Yes, I may be young and a bit naive, but at least my eyes, ears and mind work all tickety-boo which is more than can be said for some of the greys out there who can barely pour a cuppa let alone navigate complex traffic lanes and spot bikers.
I still think that in collisions between cars & bikes, it might be the car that violated the right of way, but there's usually something the bike could have done to avoid or mitigate the collision.
That, together with the fact the biker usually comes of worse, means that the bikers should have more interest in avoiding the accident - so it makes sense to target them.
Plus being a smaller market to reach, all makes sens to target bikers.

The oldies, IMO, may upset a lot of other road users by their doddering about, but their slower speed means they're not involved in many collisions. I'm sure insurance costs favouring the old must be based on hard facts.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-10, 12:24 PM   #56
simesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
The oldies, IMO, may upset a lot of other road users by their doddering about, but their slower speed means they're not involved in many collisions. I'm sure insurance costs favouring the old must be based on hard facts.
The problem with assumptions is that they are frequently wrong. Looking at the stats which were so recently discussed on here, in two vehicle accidents the car was at fault more often than not. The stats also show an alarming likelihood of it being an "old dodderer" 65+ - look here at page 49

There are a number of contributing factors to cheap insurance for the silver generation - they tend not to buy sports cars, don't do huge mileage, if they are slow then the cost per accident is possibly lower, cars not parked in city centres at night etc. These are all generalisations and are therefore by definition: wrong!
Old 18-02-10, 07:51 PM   #57
carternd

May I interject and say a lot of old people may very well not want to drive, but outside of the cities public transport is just not a real option. Round here a lot of the bus services are "dial a bus" where you have to ring in advance for a pick-up, some other villages are on a service with two or three buses per DAY. We're lucky, we have hourly buses to our local town. I know I spend a good portion of every ride cursing the "noddy cars" who drive everywhere very slowly, but at least their lack of speed makes them easy to see, and avoid. There are plenty of professional drivers who don't focus on driving and "don't see you".
Old 18-02-10, 08:21 PM   #58
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Interesting thread and a good discussion....until Damio comes and has a major moan about people moaning.

You really never can see your own irony can you son?

I love your in built "if you dont like it then shut up and stop moaning" attitude. Its exactly what the govt want to instil in all of us, to shout down people with an opinion and a view of how taking a small liberty will easily blow up into a bigger one if given the chance.

Can you not see how pathetic it is to give advice to riders who are busy doing something else and not open or receptive to advice after they get pulled away from going about their lawful business?

i totally agree with Stu's earlier point of this being as bad as them knocking on my door and saying they wanna come in and give me advice about how to cook my dinner safely or some other nonsense i dont want.

And you say thats a moan?

Well let me meet your attitude with your own attitude....if you dont like the fact that people have an opinion and you cant agree with their open minded interpretation of the piolice taking liberties with their rights to pull people, then why dont you just SFTU and not post. Just hang your head and ahke it knowing that most things you say will be ignored anyway as a simple thorn in the side with little value.

In fact, you waster your own time typing half the time cos most of the stuff you type is pretty much the same old drivel.

I really am getting tired of you shouting everyone down cos they have an opinion, so do me a favour and pack it in. Take your keyboard and beat yourself round the head with it for a while instead, it may just beat some sense into you.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P

Last edited by Spiderman; 18-02-10 at 08:23 PM.
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-10, 08:30 PM   #59
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
Interesting thread and a good discussion....until Damio comes and has a major moan about people moaning.

You really never can see your own irony can you son?

I love your in built "if you dont like it then shut up and stop moaning" attitude. Its exactly what the govt want to instil in all of us, to shout down people with an opinion and a view of how taking a small liberty will easily blow up into a bigger one if given the chance.

Can you not see how pathetic it is to give advice to riders who are busy doing something else and not open or receptive to advice after they get pulled away from going about their lawful business?

i totally agree with Stu's earlier point of this being as bad as them knocking on my door and saying they wanna come in and give me advice about how to cook my dinner safely or some other nonsense i dont want.

And you say thats a moan?

Well let me meet your attitude with your own attitude....if you dont like the fact that people have an opinion and you cant agree with their open minded interpretation of the piolice taking liberties with their rights to pull people, then why dont you just SFTU and not post. Just hang your head and ahke it knowing that most things you say will be ignored anyway as a simple thorn in the side with little value.
In fact, you waster your own time typing half the time cos most of the stuff you type is pretty much the same old drivel.

I really am getting tired of you shouting everyone down cos they have an opinion, so do me a favour and pack it in. Take your keyboard and beat yourself round the head with it for a while instead, it may just beat some sense into you.

And i thought you was the nice mod
Old 18-02-10, 08:32 PM   #60
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post

And i thought you was the nice mod
He is, you don't wanna see fizzwheel on a bad day:

(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...