SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-02-10, 07:04 PM   #601
barwel1992

Default Re: The MTB thread

if u want good goggles i have these (the pink ones :P ) utopia slayer they sell them at chain reaction

Old 14-02-10, 07:13 PM   #602
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
I think I need goggles for winter riding, or well riding in mud riding. Bloody annoying getting that in the eyes when you are shooting down a hill fast!
Do you not have mudguards? I know they look horrible but frankly who cares? Wouldn't be without mine this time of year.

These are ace, btw, best riding glasses I've ever tried:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bolle-BL10-Sports-Safety-Cycling-Glasses-Clear-Lens_W0QQitemZ190372982385QQcategoryZ141084QQcmdZV iewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC% 26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BIEW%252BFI CS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D78447905 12945109024

They're safety glasses really but they're perfect- impact resistant and better coverage than "proper" cycling glasses tend to give you, for like 1/50th the price And it's not so annoying when you lose them.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-10, 08:09 PM   #603
ThEGr33k

My mate has a full set of very nice mug guards and he had the same issue... Was very no cool, especially when I nearly took out a dog lol

Those look pretty good for the job so I think ill give them a go
Old 15-02-10, 04:49 PM   #604
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
Went out for a good 20 mile ride, strangely one that seemed to just go uphill!

I think I need goggles for winter riding, or well riding in mud riding. Bloody annoying getting that in the eyes when you are shooting down a hill fast!

I did towards the end of the ride go through a field (puplic footpath etc) that had been ploughed, never again, the mud stuck to the wheels so I literally couldn't move the thing unless I picked it up, and that was hard because a) Mud weighs a LOT! b) My shoes were getting pulled off because of weight of mud and suction...

Basically avoid those sorts of fields!!!! I think my mate got a vid of the mud. I will post it at some point.
I went out for a 20 miler yesterday and have to agree on the eye protection (and mouth closed!) as the final descent sprayed mud everywhere. It's one of those things I keep forgetting to pick up as I forget until a fly/mud/stone hits me!

BTW you know it's illegal to ride a bike on a footpath, right?
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-10, 04:57 PM   #605
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Well having read my work's internal web site about it, it seems that I won't qualify but there's no harm in having a go now is there? You see I have a marker on my personnel file that shows I'm a home worker. I think the scheme is open for elections right now, so why the hell not?
Right the real reason I came in this thread was not to annoy the Greek...

Can anyone tell me if the £1300 price point full sus bikes are worth it? For that sort of money I get a very nice hard tail and to be honest I'm pretty happy with my old Marin Eldridge Grade for the type of riding I do, I am really looking to get disc brakes more than anything else.

So is a 150mm full sus bike any good for XC? (eg Specialized Pitch) Are they rubbish for climbing like the old bikes from when my Marin was new? is the rear suspension worth the extra weight?

If it helps, I like to ride cross country on forest tracks, single track bridleways and minor roads. I do some trail centres and find the Marin Trail in Gwydyr forest the kind of mix I like.

Come on push bikey folks, tell me what you think.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-10, 05:49 PM   #606
ThEGr33k

I meant bridleways... Just didnt think you'd come along to pick me up

I recently went from hard tail to full suspension when I got a new frame. I do light down hilling, XC, and riding through woods (all mountain is the name for that apparently), oh and a LOT of climbing (bloody hate it but its still good for ya). I got a kona Coiler frame abd put some rockshox Tora forks as they were cheap and pretty well regarded (set at 100mm atm but will put it out to 135mm at some point). I got a big ar$e 203mm front disc with 4 pot calliper and a rear 160mm with twin calliper (dont need 4 on the back...) and they work sick well!

Id rather have a little more travel but im not feeling rich atm so maybe in the future.

So certainly Id recommend rear suspension, it makes climbing on loose stuff easier imo, and the going back down much much nicer on the legs, especially when its an extended decent.

For £1300 I found this which imo for the money is a lot of push bike (reduced by a GRAND!!) Only got 18" frame left apparently but that might be ok?

Anyone got any other good sites? I like to have a look around sometimes and I user chain reaction but they don't have everything...

Last edited by ThEGr33k; 15-02-10 at 05:52 PM.
Old 15-02-10, 05:52 PM   #607
mattSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Right the real reason I came in this thread was not to annoy the Greek...

Can anyone tell me if the £1300 price point full sus bikes are worth it? For that sort of money I get a very nice hard tail and to be honest I'm pretty happy with my old Marin Eldridge Grade for the type of riding I do, I am really looking to get disc brakes more than anything else.

So is a 150mm full sus bike any good for XC? (eg Specialized Pitch) Are they rubbish for climbing like the old bikes from when my Marin was new? is the rear suspension worth the extra weight?

If it helps, I like to ride cross country on forest tracks, single track bridleways and minor roads. I do some trail centres and find the Marin Trail in Gwydyr forest the kind of mix I like.

Come on push bikey folks, tell me what you think.
Full sus tend to be split these days between DH & XC - the XC ones are miles better than the old full sus set ups, especially if you can get one with front AND rear lockout
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-10, 05:55 PM   #608
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattSV View Post
Full sus tend to be split these days between DH & XC - the XC ones are miles better than the old full sus set ups, especially if you can get one with front AND rear lockout
Front lockout only needed if you stand up, real mountain bikers stay sat down for traction because they are on harsh slippy tracks I have lockout and tbh dont use it that much...
Old 15-02-10, 06:27 PM   #609
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:

I reckon they are. Not the Pitch, probably, they're for going downhill very fast and going uphill a bit slow. Ace though, amazing value. There's 5 inch trail bikes that climb very well like the Specialized FSR but the Pitch is really a pocket downhill bike more than an XC bike.

But then you've got stuff like this:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...iwmwr&istBid=t

Which is the same frame as the one I had, it's a bit heavy as is but it's only a grand. It's more like a big burly cross country bike than the Pitch, pretty amazing for trail centres. Pedals very very well, mine was 30lbs but it didn't feel it at all. But maybe a little bit oldfashioned in its geometry, with the standard fork it's very upright and feels a bit twitchy on steep stuff. I put a 140mm fork in mine and that was better but still a bit steep. I wouldn't have wanted to ride it at Fort William for that reason but for everything else it was great.

Or, these:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165499

Which are pretty amazing for the money, the spec list is stunning but the basic frame's good too. A bit more cross country than the Idrive, just a very good honest trail bike. It's shorter travel but uses it really well.

Or loads of others, a Trance or Anthem X or Idrive 6 or Teocali Comp or FSR... £1500 gets a lot of bike. There's a £1500 full suss test in this month's Mountian Biking UK, it's for Yoofs really but it's a good test. They say get an Anthem X
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-10, 08:05 PM   #610
ThEGr33k

I dont really get what the I drive is supposed to achieve? I mean the peddles moving up and down isnt nice when you are trying to get power down over rough terrain...