SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-02-10, 08:18 PM   #611
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Re: The MTB thread

Nah, it works really well for that, it's basically a single pivot but with the BB floating so it removes the pedal feedback, so the suspension's free to get on with its job no matter what the pedals are doing, and vice versa. It does add a lot of weight though, over 8lbs for the frame + shock!
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-10, 08:23 PM   #612
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Nah, it works really well for that, it's basically a single pivot but with the BB floating so it removes the pedal feedback, so the suspension's free to get on with its job no matter what the pedals are doing, and vice versa. It does add a lot of weight though, over 8lbs for the frame + shock!
But my Kona frame does that anyway, so its kinda major over engineering init?
Old 15-02-10, 08:45 PM   #613
northwind
Mega Poster

You have a Coiler, yeah? It doesn't really remove pedal feedback, no more than a single pivot does. If you stomp a pedal it has an effect on the suspension, that's reduced a lot with an Idrive or similiar. The Coiler'll be miles better on the brake though, I imagine... Idrive seperates out the pedalling but does nothing for the braking. so it's give and take.

It's also cheap to build, is the other advantage, the 5 (like mine) has a really low leverage shock so they can use cheapy ones like an Ario and it doesn't cause any problems.
Old 15-02-10, 11:32 PM   #614
ThEGr33k

I kinda understand what you are meaning. Been a while since I went on my friends old one, so dont much remember how it was now...

Anyone playing around inside rockshox specifically Tora? Im goin to be extending the travel to 135mm from 100mm that I have now.
Old 15-02-10, 11:40 PM   #615
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Depends how it is limited. If it is hydraulic bottoming cone you just remove it
Old 16-02-10, 12:00 AM   #616
northwind
Mega Poster

RS are usually just spacers, all travel they call it. But not all of them do it. I know my Tora 130mms were exactly the same as the 100mm model at the time, just with more spacers. Or less spacers. Something to do with spacers.
Old 16-02-10, 08:28 AM   #617
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
RS are usually just spacers, all travel they call it. But not all of them do it. I know my Tora 130mms were exactly the same as the 100mm model at the time, just with more spacers. Or less spacers. Something to do with spacers.

Yea, I got a manual thing for it (found here), just wondering if anyone had had a go is all. Mine is the air one...

It will mean that the fork is 30mm taller when fully extended as well right? I think that might well be a good thing as atm the steering is very twitchy

Last edited by ThEGr33k; 16-02-10 at 08:31 AM.
Old 16-02-10, 06:31 PM   #618
northwind
Mega Poster

Yeah, it'll make the whole fork longer at full stretch, should be good... Did that year Coiler have 130mm as standard? Think it might have.

All the bits for me Hemlock have arrived, not going to have it ready in time for tonight's ride so it looks a bit worryingly like I'll be giving it its first ever ride at innerleithen. I can think of better places to find out I've not tightened a bolt right But I've run out of money so it's going to have to keep the 140mm forks for now. Should be good!

(also had a spawny Ebay buy, I got some new wheels for £70, Bontrager Rhythm TRSs... Thought they were the cheap ones but they turn out to be the Elite ones which are stronger and about 200 grams lighter, result!)
Old 16-02-10, 11:29 PM   #619
ThEGr33k

Need pics once you get it together. What forks you using?

Yea the 04 Coiler has 130mm rear, Id love 150mm of the 05 but then I guess climbing wont be as good... My bro has the 05 coiler frome with some 66's on, pretty mental tbh.
Old 17-02-10, 12:43 AM   #620
northwind
Mega Poster

Kinda halfbuilt, off to Glentress tomorrow on the Soul instead. Still haven't really decided what parts are to go on what, need to see how I get on with the new one first. I know I can sell the frame for more'n I paid if I have to, Singletrackworld people love Cotics

Forks are 09 Revelations. Very good but a wee bit heavy. I really want those new Revelations but £500 Just hoping a nice used set comes up. These ones are fine like, but they're 10mm shorter than I'd like and MOST IMPORTANTLY don't match the colourscheme

Anyone want to buy a really hammered Carrera Kraken? Comes complete with stylish custom paint chips and a fork that doesn't work. Bargain.

Last edited by northwind; 17-02-10 at 12:44 AM.