SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-12-10, 10:38 PM   #641
rob13

Default Re: The Cycling Thread

Very True

I've got an EDZ windproof for the motorbike but not sure if that would be any good with regards to breathability.
Old 27-12-10, 11:50 PM   #642
metalmonkey

These are my shoes;

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...shoes-ec017522

I got them from them but they were price matched, I think they were about that price worth looking around to get the best deal. I got these shoes as I have mtb and the cleats are reacsed (as in not exposed when you walk in the shoe, so don't wear down) Also the negative side to the shoe is casue they are vented, so when its cold you get cold feet or wet feet. I need some overshoes!

You do have to remeber to unclip when you get them! They do make a differene.

With a road bike you will need a good pump to take the pressure in the tyres to around 12opsi, which I run mine at, too little pressure isn't good run the risk of a pinch puncture. Its a bitch with a crap pump to make that as well!
Old 28-12-10, 09:49 AM   #643
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmonkey View Post
These are my shoes;

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...shoes-ec017522

I got them from them but they were price matched, I think they were about that price worth looking around to get the best deal. I got these shoes as I have mtb and the cleats are reacsed (as in not exposed when you walk in the shoe, so don't wear down) Also the negative side to the shoe is casue they are vented, so when its cold you get cold feet or wet feet. I need some overshoes!

You do have to remeber to unclip when you get them! They do make a differene.

With a road bike you will need a good pump to take the pressure in the tyres to around 12opsi, which I run mine at, too little pressure isn't good run the risk of a pinch puncture. Its a bitch with a crap pump to make that as well!
Yes, it is true that road shoes will make your feet cold because of the vents, but you can only use these shoes with 2 point fixing SPD pedal systems and none of the 3 bolt systems such as Look.

And there in lies another debate, what pedal system do you go for

I've always used Look pedals, because they were the first clipless system around when I started cycling. So I use neoprene overshoes on my road shoes.

I got some windproof thermal overshoes from Aldi, which also came with a under helmet cap, and they are good for the money I paid for them

Last edited by maviczap; 28-12-10 at 09:52 AM.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-10, 11:39 AM   #644
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Road shoes with endura neoprene over shoes, couple that with some decent merino wool socks, never had cold feet. Even on The Exmoor Beast ride a few years ago ( 80 miles around Exmoor in the p*ssing rain last weekend of October was freezing )

the thing with keeping warm is thin layers, and dont wear to many otherwise you sweat like a pig.

Was an avid Look user till I started getting a bit of knee pain, changed for Time and they have more float even than the red look cleats, and knee pain has gone again now and I'm much more comfy on the bike and the Time pedals are a little easier to clip into as well.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-10, 11:50 AM   #645
metalmonkey

This pump is very good, for use at home;

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...rt-ii-ec018394

Its a little expensive at that price but worth shopping around for. It makes so much easier to pump up to the required pressure I need to get one.

Thought any suggestions on a good pump to take with you on a ride would be good, my pump is a bit too big to clip onto the bike.

Oh my last was fulled by JD and Coke
Old 28-12-10, 11:55 AM   #646
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I have that Joe Blow pump, it really is worth paying the money for as it is very decent.

I have something similar to this

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-maste...t-rocket-pump/

Which I take on a ride, its good, but not as good as a track pump is, its good enough to get pressure up into the tyre to get me home again.

If you are really wanting to travel light, then something like this might be worth looking at.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/innovations-...ate-nano-pump/

But you'll need the gas canisters to go with it as well.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-10, 12:39 PM   #647
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Road shoes with endura neoprene over shoes, couple that with some decent merino wool socks, never had cold feet. Even on The Exmoor Beast ride a few years ago ( 80 miles around Exmoor in the p*ssing rain last weekend of October was freezing .
Gonna buy me some Woollie Boollie socks soon
Old 28-12-10, 09:04 PM   #648
rob13

Well I've reserved a Boardman at the local Halfords. Getting it with a set of Shimano SPD SLs and some Crud Raceguards for the grand total of £570.

Now I need to use it. Going to find out which is the best club to join up to, but need to buy some Bib shorts & Leggings and those DHB road shoes off Wiggle.
Old 28-12-10, 09:14 PM   #649
maviczap
Mega Poster

Cool

Crud race guards are a good addition to a great bike
Old 28-12-10, 09:22 PM   #650
rob13

Well it was an extra £34 for a set of raceguards and some pedals so more discount which I would ultimately have to pay for anyway.

Im going to try and hold off buying any more clothing until Go Outdoors has its 50% discount day on the 7th to see if I can get some shorts/leggings in the sale. They might also have some shoes cheap.