SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 24-11-06, 11:07 AM   #661
DanDare

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
Kazakhstan is the worlds ninth largest country, it covers an area about the size of western Europe.

At the present moment, it is snowing in Almaty but unlike the UK, the country hasnt ground to a halt at the first signs of snow. And unlike the UK, no-one speeds in their cars here - guess Darwinism means only cautious and sensible drivers survive. I use those terms in the loosest possible sense regarding lane discipline or the very disctinct lack of it

It is a balmy -16 degrees C in Astana, the capital. I say balmy as its got warmer from yesterday when it was -26 degrees C.

If you feel like complaining about the weather in the UK, remember it could be worse. :P This could be your weather forecast for the next five days.
My old man spent a few weeks with the Marines in Norway on Exercise.
Whilst there the valley they were staying in was -40c, Health and Safety said this was too cold.

So they moved to the next valley which was -26c which Ok.

What I want to know is when its gets to -10c for me thats pretty cold, how can it get any colder?????????? Bbrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!
Old 27-11-06, 11:11 PM   #662
vixis

the only trivia I can think of is that the word "do" in the English language is an etymological mystery - everyone knows what it does, no one knows where it comes from and it usually take a good two pages in any good thesaurus to explain the word...god, I need to get my CBT so I can get out more...!
Old 27-11-06, 11:15 PM   #663
philipMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixis
the only trivia I can think of is that the word "do" in the English language is an etymological mystery - everyone knows what it does, no one knows where it comes from and it usually take a good two pages in any good thesaurus to explain the word...god, I need to get my CBT so I can get out more...!
Yeah, and "do" doesn't have an equivalent in a lot of languages. So, teaching it to people who have never used it or an analogue of it, and don't even understand why its needed can be a bugger.

Or so I am told.
Old 28-11-06, 08:11 AM   #664
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDare
What I want to know is when its gets to -10c for me thats pretty cold, how can it get any colder?????????? Bbrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!
Tbh, -10 is ok ie its bearable if youre wrapped up properly.

I walked to the restaurant 5 mins from my hotel last night and I arrived with white "mascara". In what was -30 degrees my eyelashes started to freeze as were my eyeballs.

Interesting post on the word "do".

Russian is a language which doesnt have the concept of saying "I am" or "they are" or "it is" - a fact I would have loved to know at school when learning French verbs.... :P It is a very literal languange - Ya Angleechenka is literally I English meaning I am English.
Old 05-12-06, 11:36 AM   #665
Baph

There are now more than 100 million websites on the internet!

I'm also bored, so I might start to catalogue them all!
Old 05-12-06, 11:56 AM   #666
Baph

There are more than 10^16 prokaryotes (typically bacteria) in a ton of soil -- there are only 10^11 stars in our galaxy!

And I'm still bored....

There are 5 million more women than men in America! The US is 49.1% male and 50.9% female. I'm emmigrating!
Old 05-12-06, 11:57 AM   #667
Filipe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph
And I'm still a bored eukaryote....
Old 05-12-06, 11:59 AM   #668
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe M.
Quote:
Ah, but I'm a eukaryote of the protist genus. yet another interesting fact... damn I'm good today
Old 05-12-06, 12:07 PM   #669
Filipe M.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ah, but I'm a eukaryote of the protist genus. yet another interesting fact... damn I'm good today
So should we call you Amoeba from now on?
Old 05-12-06, 12:24 PM   #670
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So should we call you Amoeba from now on?
He's not a single cell organism...

...I hope

I should be teeming with interesting facts, but i cant think of any.

Oh yes! Light can behave like a particle, aswell as a wave. So can electrons. Infact, there are studies which suggest even atoms have this wave particle duality...

Matt