SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-12-06, 06:50 PM   #671
Alpinestarhero

Plastics can conduct electricity!

Matt
Old 14-12-06, 08:26 PM   #672
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero

Matt
this thread is becoming a bit like that program QI. The more things i read here that are interesting or amazing and that i didnt know, the more the chance that someone will post some total garbage and not even be challenged about it.

So for this reason only, I say to you Sir.... PROVE IT!!!!!!
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-06, 08:34 PM   #673
Carsick

^ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conductive_polymer
Old 14-12-06, 08:48 PM   #674
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Thanks Mike.... BUT it says.. A conductive polymer is an organic polymer semiconductor, or an organic semiconductor. and surley if somethings "organic" then by definition its not just a "plastic" that is man made??

Wish i hadnt asked now. lol
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-06, 09:32 PM   #675
Carsick

^ In chemistry, organic means a compound containing carbon and hydrogen. It has nothing to do with how it was created.

All plastics are organic.
Old 15-12-06, 12:18 AM   #676
philipMac

OH SNAP!

Spidey. You just got pwnd. Sorry to break the news mate.
Old 15-12-06, 12:23 AM   #677
philipMac

I better post up a fact then.

Right. Driving through the Lincoln tunnel, at 60 mph, while somebody leans out the window, reefing their guts up a) leaves interesting patterns on your car, and
b) provokes some ire in the driver of the following car. (Said car also obtains interesting patterns on his bonnet.)
Old 15-12-06, 09:17 AM   #678
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman
Quote:

Matt
this thread is becoming a bit like that program QI. The more things i read here that are interesting or amazing and that i didnt know, the more the chance that someone will post some total garbage and not even be challenged about it.

So for this reason only, I say to you Sir.... PROVE IT!!!!!!
I have an extensive report that i wrote and some literature papers if you would like them...

And i can expalin how it works quite esily (i did have to work it out for myself after all )

Matt
Old 15-12-06, 05:34 PM   #679
philipMac

Quote:

I have an extensive report that i wrote and some literature papers if you would like them...

And i can expalin how it works quite esily (i did have to work it out for myself after all )

Matt
Pfft. Go away out of here with your Lit searches. At the org we are only interested in talking to the original authors.

Of Nature papers.

OK. Speaking of Nature papers. Ahem. In the last few years, a completely new way of controlling genes in plants and animals was discovered, that fundamentally changed the feed-forward paradigm of DNA->mRNA->Protein.

This DNA->mRNA->Protein concept has been so central to Biology that when I was doing my degree, a few years ago, it was still being taught as "The Central Paradigm" of biology.

Yet, a couple of years later, its known that this is not the case.

Interesting how we think how great we are at science, and then we discover we didnt notice something totally fundamental for years.
Old 15-12-06, 05:48 PM   #680
Alpinestarhero

Really? How is it all thought to work now then?

My literature search will be the basis of my very own research to be undertaken next year (my final year) I'm dead excited, and I have a few ideas.

As for Nature...its only for people who want to boost their rating, get as many people as possible to read their work :P Na, only joking. I would love to get a paper published in Nature, its a very prestigious journal. I would especially like a paper published in Nature Materials Maybe one day...

Matt