SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-12-06, 07:08 PM   #681
philipMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero
Really? How is it all thought to work now then?

My literature search will be the basis of my very own research to be undertaken next year (my final year) I'm dead excited, and I have a few ideas.

As for Nature...its only for people who want to boost their rating, get as many people as possible to read their work :P Na, only joking. I would love to get a paper published in Nature, its a very prestigious journal. I would especially like a paper published in Nature Materials Maybe one day...

Matt
Well, the DNA->mRNA->Protein idea still works, but its only part of the story.
Another part, we still dont know how much but it seems like a fair bit at least, involves this DNA->mRNA->DNA path.

So, these small miRNAs (microRNAs) are not being transcribed into proteins, they are looping straight back, and deciding how and what other genes are being transcribed.

Parts of these pathways can be used to short circuit endogenous genes in animals, so you can "trick" them into knocking down one of their own specific genes without creating a mutant. (Mutant generation is a pain.) This is called RNA interference. The two dudes that discovered this got the Nobel prize this year.

I got one in Nature Genetics last year. It's cool. They send you free journals from then on, cause you are an "Esteemed scientist"
Old 15-12-06, 07:51 PM   #682
Alpinestarhero

Ah, thats cool. I thought there was something missing when I got taught how proteins are made in the body (made as in figured out from the DNA, you get me i hope)

Have you got the name(s) of the people who did the work to find this out? Its interesting!

What do you do for a living, may I ask?

Matt
Old 15-12-06, 08:44 PM   #683
philipMac

Quote:
Ah, thats cool. I thought there was something missing when I got taught how proteins are made in the body (made as in figured out from the DNA, you get me i hope)

Have you got the name(s) of the people who did the work to find this out? Its interesting!

What do you do for a living, may I ask?

Matt
Names of the people who noticed RNAi interference are Andy Fire and Craig Mello. You will see Fire et al on basically every RNAi paper out there.
Name of the miRNAi people.. emm, well, people were working on them before they realised what they were. They thought they were ordinary genes. They noticed that they had very pleiotropic effects. So, I suppose all those people who werked on those Pasha and Drosha prots.

I am a research scientist. According to my visa Em, I suppose I am a bioinformatician / genetics data miner specifically.

To find out more, funnily enough the guy that sits next to me, wrote a review article for Nature Genetics this month on it. Its good. You can look through that and look at the papers Kevin reffed out if you are curious.

http://www.nature.com/ng/journal/v38...bs/ng1910.html
Old 16-12-06, 08:22 PM   #684
Alpinestarhero

Thanks for that! I'll have a read in my spare time.

Matt
Old 19-12-06, 09:20 AM   #685
Baph

V-Wipes are excellent at removing ice from your seat!

FACT!
Old 19-12-06, 09:47 AM   #686
Alpinestarhero

Hehe

I saw the frost on my dads car today, and felt the chill of the fog (fog is a colloid; the dispersed phase is water (liquid), the dispersion medium is air (gas). Theres my interesting fact), Decided that today isnt a good day to go learning more about my SV and extending my riding limits, so I'm going to revise for my exams instead. Or at least looook like I am and post on here.

Matt
Old 19-12-06, 09:58 AM   #687
Baph

Quote:
Decided that today isnt a good day to go learning more about my SV and extending my riding limits
Limits and knowledge can only be expanded by testing both. FACT!

(I had to ride home last night in freezing fog, so I knew what the weather would be like this morning, so doubled my commute time today & took it REALLY easy. Luckily I work for someone that if I decide it's too dangerous to ride, they don't mind me "working" from home.)

Menai bridge looks COOL when all you can see around you is blue haze. FACT!
Old 20-12-06, 05:42 PM   #688
zobo

By 2040 the Arctic Ocean will be largely ice-free in the summer...!!!
Old 20-12-06, 06:53 PM   #689
hovis

The doctor said I wouldn't have so many nose bleeds if I kept my finger outta there.
Old 20-12-06, 07:13 PM   #690
zobo

sprouts make you f@rt.. sorry I couldn't help myself