SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 09-05-16, 07:22 PM   #681
yokohama

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
PS that looks fine Kenzie, if you increased the exposure much you're blow out all of the sky details.

Yoko I think the Trip has a hot shoe so you should be fine - the plate shouldn't look like a plain piece of metal, as on your Dignette, otherwise you need a cable for it. It'll be X-sync, and as the Trip (and Dignette/Agfa) has a leaf shutter, unlike an SLR, you can use any shutter speed you like. It can be useful outside on a bright day with dark shadows but equally can take a bit of fiddling with to get the most out of. I actually find a lot of the guys who have Leicas etc. never use flash, and as far as I can make out, they've never really go tot grips with it.
I've never used a flash unit with a camera before - except ones with built in flash. I only bought it on a whim to try some indoor shots and experiment. It says 'for flash' on the lns ring by the f stops so I'm hoping it's set that using the scale on the back of the flash and that the camera will do the rest.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 07:24 PM   #682
Kenzie

Decided to reskin the Samurai Trip 35 as I don't like the way the vinyl feels. I have ordered some blue leather for it. Have a replacement 50mm lens coming for the Yashica FX-D, may pull the fungus one apart at some point and attempt a clean. Have you shot with the Trip yet Yoko?
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 07:31 PM   #683
yokohama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
Decided to reskin the Samurai Trip 35 as I don't like the way the vinyl feels. I have ordered some blue leather for it. Have a replacement 50mm lens coming for the Yashica FX-D, may pull the fungus one apart at some point and attempt a clean. Have you shot with the Trip yet Yoko?
Just a couple with the Trip so far. Now the film's out of the Dacora, I'll try a few different types of subject out with the Olympus. It's certainly much simpler to use. Don't have to think about distance and exposure for each shot.
Old 09-05-16, 08:04 PM   #684
Kenzie

Its a zone focus so you will need to estimate distance or use the handy symbols on the lens barrel. Don't forget to set the iso on the barrel as well.

Can anyone recommend any good photography biographies? Read Don Mccullin Unreasonable behavior and I have Ansel Adams In Focus.

Last edited by Kenzie; 09-05-16 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-05-16, 08:32 PM   #685
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Yoko your flash looks to be a manual one as there is no sensor on the front to cut off the light when it is enough, so yes you'll need to use the table and set the aperture to suit the distance. Shutter speed has no effect on the level of flash light as the duration is maybe 1/10,000 second so shorter than (nearly) any shutter. If you want to fill in a backlit subject then meter the background, and figure out the aperture based on the distance from the flash. Close it down by about 2 stops, then adjust the shutter speed the other way (slower) to compensate, trying to match the metering you got for the background. Softens the flash a bit.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 08:35 PM   #686
Kenzie

Some pics of Yoko's flash:

http://sayzey.co.uk/boxed-meikai-ar-...a-lightweight/
Old 09-05-16, 09:02 PM   #687
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Guide number (GN, product of f-stop and distance in metres at 100ISO) of it is about 13-14 so low power but depends of course how far away you need to be, and would be fine for fill in outdoors. For indoors this is where a bit of electronics helps, to my mind. A bounce head (adjustable angle) to bring the light from above, gives a less flat photo than direct flash, plus an auto sensor to sort all that out for you. You can do manual and bounce but you then have to figure out how far away the ceiling is to find the corresponding f-stop.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-16, 07:57 AM   #688
yokohama

Aye, that's the flash; just a little thing. It only goes to about 6-7 metres but that's fine. I'm not planning anything special, just a few indoor shots and playing around.. It fits the Trip quite nicely. It'll be interesting to see what comes out.
I really wanted to try film at tonight's gig. The Trip shutter speed is likely to be too slow so I was going to use the Olympus autozoom as it does take some good photos. Buuuut, after finding an online manual (my instruction book is Japanese) I discovered that turning the flash mode off means a shutter speed of 1/50th kicks in and there's no manual override.
Maybe I'll have to look for a cheap SLR.
I'll probably take the Panasonic TZ and fire off a few shots anyway, find out what that can do at a concert.
Old 10-05-16, 08:38 AM   #689
Kenzie

Hey Yoko, I have a film tested Olympus OM10 going spare if you are interested? Wouldn't be much.

Sent from my Xperia T
Old 10-05-16, 10:03 AM   #690
yokohama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
Hey Yoko, I have a film tested Olympus OM10 going spare if you are interested? Wouldn't be much.

Sent from my Xperia T
I might be interested. I've always used Olympus.
It's fully auto though isn't it? Don't suppose the manual adaptor is attached?