SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-05-07, 01:41 PM   #61
Blue_SV650S

Default Re: What ever happened to ‘building up’?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs_tubby View Post
i think that the main aspect of the riding skills of new riders on bigger bikes is they dont show the bike any respect, you have to remember that your average joe will have at 17 a 1.3 or something which normally have around the same hp as the sv and they then think o well my car is slow so it wont make any difference on the bike and bang there they slide down the road on their arses, now im not saying all people ride like this but we all have to start somewhere and being young myself i know what they think!!! At the end of the day if you give the bike respect it will respect you and as your confidence grows so will your skills and most of the time speed.
I disagree, if at 17yrs old you don't have the brain power to realise that bikes can be dangerous, or have respect for what you are doing, then you deserve to die. Darwinism rules!!

My point is where is the fun in jumping straight in to a 'nice' bike ... imagine if the first woman you slept with was Angelina Jolie (or whoever you feel is mega 'hot' ) ... from that point on, what's the point ... there are no dreams of banging anything better!! ... what a great analogy!!
Old 28-05-07, 02:09 PM   #62
Endellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
I disagree, if at 17yrs old you don't have the brain power to realise that bikes can be dangerous, or have respect for what you are doing, then you deserve to die. Darwinism rules!!

My point is where is the fun in jumping straight in to a 'nice' bike ... imagine if the first woman you slept with was Angelina Jolie (or whoever you feel is mega 'hot' ) ... from that point on, what's the point ... there are no dreams of banging anything better!! ... what a great analogy!!
Yep very nice analogy!

I also think that if I had got a bike in my youth then I would probaly have taken things too far, instead I learnt to drive in a 1000 cc fiat panda super, which I thrashed to bits. Everyone I knew at school had bigger cars but I could keep up with quite a few of them in my wee panda cause I took it to the limits and beyond, great car. If that had been a bike or like my mate had, a sierra cosworth then............

I am glad now I have the SV, its just perfect for me right now as too where I am at with my riding. If/when I do upgrade its gonna be another twin.

You don't have to be riding a bike since birth to have driving skills and knowledge that are transferable over to the bike.

I had a 100cc bike fall on me when I was on my grandads farm at the age of 15 when I used too much throttle up a slope, that made me c*** myself, stuck under it for about 10 mins. Also had a trike go over my foot (while I was on it) and shred my trainer when i was even younger, also on a farm, does this count for biking experience? Sure gave them respect after that.

No doubt a lot of folk on here have been riding since I was born but as long a I ride to my limits and constantly trying to better my skills then I will be happy. Wouldn't be happy with a 125 now after CG125 and YBR125 used for DAS
Old 28-05-07, 02:37 PM   #63
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Vintage Blue!
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-07, 03:14 PM   #64
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Luvvit.Great analogy.
Whatever the boffins say,it does seem to make sense to start on something small and work up.(We are talking about bikes now,not sexual experiences)
I also agree about the powerful sportsbike being largly useless on the public roads.A big bike is great for distance work,but for everyday use I reckon something like an SV is ideal.Enough power and capability to keep you involved and make you try a bit,but not so much as to be frustrating since you can never use it.
Old 28-05-07, 05:42 PM   #65
StreetHawk

I wanted to get an R6 as my first bike but was talked into getting a 125 then learning on that for a bit before doing my DAS. Well , I got the 125 and that lasted a month, did my DAS during that month and then wanted to get an R6. I thought about the reality of riding a 160mph bike with such little experience and decided on an SV (insurance was a lot cheaper too!). The SV lasted me a month aswell! It was a great bike was I craved a sportsbike so swapped the SV for a CBR600RR this weekend. despite getting grief from all angles i've now got the bike I wanted.

I'm a lot more controlled and responsible om the bike than I thought I would be. I think , as someone said, it's the fear of coming off that makes me treat the bike with respect. I don't see why people should go 50-125-400-600cc if they are responsible enough to ride safely.

By the way, I feel safer on my CBR than on the SV. It's easier to steer, much happier to lean and feels a lot more stable and solid..... and it makes a gorgeous wail at 14,000 rpm
Old 28-05-07, 06:09 PM   #66
kwak zzr

i love going out on a run with ppl on 1000cc sports bikes that can't ride them my mates got a busa with all the mods but get off the motorways and onto normal roads and i was gone on my 650. cuz's uncle had an 04 R1 but he swapped it for a zx636r because he couldn't see the point of all that power and big insurance premiums. i could leave him on my 650 no matter what he was riding R1 or zx. at all bike meets you see the born again mature gentlemen on there sports bikes with all the good kit! they look great but riding them quickly is another matter.
Old 28-05-07, 06:19 PM   #67
ninjadoll

Hi all. Just finding my feet on the forum. Been a lurker here for ages but I seeing as I don't have my zxr any more I thought I'd join the chat. I'm now a curvey blue sv owner with a half fairing. I wanted to get used to some of the terms before making my first post. I saw this post and thought an ideal place to start. Anyways, I started off on a 125 many moons ago then after 2 years on the 125 sat my test on a 500. I went down a 100cc and bought a gorgeous black and pinky purpley zxr400 with pink wheels. I still miss him boo hoo but I've moved on. I'm now getting used to the the torquey and engine breakingy stuff on the SV. So my build up was 125-400-650

Janey
Old 28-05-07, 08:15 PM   #68
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjadoll View Post
Hi all. Just finding my feet on the forum. Been a lurker here for ages but I seeing as I don't have my zxr any more I thought I'd join the chat. I'm now a curvey blue sv owner with a half fairing. I wanted to get used to some of the terms before making my first post. I saw this post and thought an ideal place to start. Anyways, I started off on a 125 many moons ago then after 2 years on the 125 sat my test on a 500. I went down a 100cc and bought a gorgeous black and pinky purpley zxr400 with pink wheels. I still miss him boo hoo but I've moved on. I'm now getting used to the the torquey and engine breakingy stuff on the SV. So my build up was 125-400-650

Janey
Welcome (finally ) Janey

Ohhhh a ZXR400, to a SV650, looks wise you took a hit ... but the SV does have a nicer 'personality' I suppose ...

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 28-05-07 at 08:17 PM.
Old 28-05-07, 09:04 PM   #69
ninjadoll

Quote:
Welcome (finally ) Janey

Ohhhh a ZXR400, to a SV650, looks wise you took a hit ... but the SV does have a nicer 'personality' I suppose ...
You dissing Fred Only kidding. I'll have pink wheels on my SV one day. I don't know that it has a nicer personailty though. The engine braking really caught me out first few rides but I'm getting used to it now.
Old 28-05-07, 09:12 PM   #70
ArtyLady

I agree Blue, Im sure its gotta be better that way. I can see why some poor folks come unstuck after doing DAS and jumping straight on a big powerful bike.

I had ridden a little off road, years ago, (never got out of 2nd gear mind you!) then when I did my CBT I rode around as much as poss on a 125 for several months before my DAS. My first bike was Guzzi V50 (500cc) I learned loads on that little bike, it was not particularly powerful) and then a bandit 600 but I didnt get on with the IL4 and tbh it was too heavy for me, so then got my SV. (oh and not forgetting car licence for 30 years )

So I sort of built up (not in the true sense that you are talking about but kind of
off road - 125 - 500 - 600 - 650

I dont think I will ever need anything more powerful than the SV, being a rather more *ahem* mature lady its got everything I need to have a very pleasant ride with all the acceleration I need to get me out of trouble.

Oh, and Hi Janey