SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-12-11, 02:26 AM   #61
pete m

Default Re: Kawasaki ZX-6R

Fair do's mm !

Im only 5ft 6ins and i manage but its up to you, my experience of lowered bikes is it ruins the handling, you want the back jacked up so the weights on the front y' see

they are great bikes tho - prob why so many of us have got em...

hope you join the club soon - im leaving it unless its possible to the lower pegs
Old 23-12-11, 10:26 AM   #62
metalmonkey

One more question, where the best place to get a lowering kit for the bike (or do I need one?) how much are they and are they easy to install on the bike?

@ Pete M I have short legs 29" the ZX-6R is taller than my SV as well. Its not a problem getting on the bike, stopping ect casue I slid over on the seat lean the bike into me. Its just at dead stop, getting it out the garage ect. I want to beable to get my feet down more.
Old 23-12-11, 11:16 AM   #63
dyzio
Mega Poster

Maybe try lowering the seat first?

Think these people do lowering and fit gel inserts as well: http://www.smartrrrs.biz/90300/info.php?p=8
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-11, 11:46 AM   #64
metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzio View Post
Maybe try lowering the seat first?

Think these people do lowering and fit gel inserts as well: http://www.smartrrrs.biz/90300/info.php?p=8
Thx, but no I want to lower the bike.
Old 23-12-11, 11:47 AM   #65
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmonkey View Post
One more question, where the best place to get a lowering kit for the bike (or do I need one?) how much are they and are they easy to install on the bike?

@ Pete M I have short legs 29" the ZX-6R is taller than my SV as well. Its not a problem getting on the bike, stopping ect casue I slid over on the seat lean the bike into me. Its just at dead stop, getting it out the garage ect. I want to beable to get my feet down more.
I would not do it, what is point of buying a bike that is meant to handle and then making a pigs *rse of the rear linkage geometry?

Unless you are just buying bike for look of it
Old 23-12-11, 12:11 PM   #66
Balky001
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I would not do it, what is point of buying a bike that is meant to handle and then making a pigs *rse of the rear linkage geometry?

In which case can I suggest a Harley like mine

Won't lowering affect the front too? Front wheel closer to the bike slightly less stable??

Metal M, have sat on a K6 GSXR 600, seat is really low. But I know once you want a bike its difficult to change your mind. I was determoned to get a ZX6 when I bought mine 2010. However, although I liked by C1H a lot, now I am thinking of getting another sportbike for track days I'm thinking GSXR (600 or 750) again.
Old 23-12-11, 12:18 PM   #67
metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post

I have asked several dealers now about lowering the bike, none of them have said it will effect how the bike handles. As I said I'm a short ar*e so I need to set up the bike for me! I would get it done by someone who knows what they are doing, I won't mess with this and try get it right! I have found a bike anyways I'm just waiting to see it.

No I buying it becasue I want it and to ride it not look at the bike!

Last edited by metalmonkey; 23-12-11 at 12:20 PM.
Old 23-12-11, 12:42 PM   #68
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmonkey View Post
I have asked several dealers now about lowering the bike, none of them have said it will effect how the bike handles.
Well then, you need to ask someone who knows what they're talking about, I sincerely doubt any dealer worth buying a motorcycle from would suggest there's no effect from lowering. Changing the chassis geometry changes the handling, that's not in question, the only question is how much difference will it make? And realistically it's impossible to make an estimation without some specific experience with the bike in question, and knowing how much you want to lower it by.

Think about this, changing the preload on the standard bike alters the handling, (depending on which bike and how much, a significant difference can be found), and that's using just the adjustment the bike comes with, altering the components will never make no difference.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-11, 12:49 PM   #69
metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Well then, you need to ask someone who knows what they're talking about, I sincerely doubt any dealer worth buying a motorcycle from would suggest there's no effect from lowering. Changing the chassis geometry changes the handling, that's not in question, the only question is how much difference will it make? And realistically it's impossible to make an estimation without some specific experience with the bike in question, and knowing how much you want to lower it by.

Think about this, changing the preload on the standard bike alters the handling, (depending on which bike and how much, a significant difference can be found), and that's using just the adjustment the bike comes with, altering the components will never make no difference.
So I want to lower the 10-15mm at a rough guess, I haven't measured it so can't give you an accurate figure. I want to go from my tip toes, to having at least the balls of my feet on the floor which I can do with the SV. When I stop at lights I can get one foot flat floor on the floor.

In your experince how would that effect how the bike handles?
Old 23-12-11, 12:55 PM   #70
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

You are changing swingarm angle, rake and trail, weight distribution, shock link ratio, shock link progression (maybe not a bad thing on this bike :P), anti-squat effect.

It will turn slower, it will have more weight on rear (maybe making front feel floaty, or harsh as it now has not as much weight to deal with), you may blow through all travel on rear easily or it may be more rock 'ard than they are anyway, change in swingarm angle may mean it runs wide on exit of corner.

And also less ground clearance but I don't see that being near any sensible limit.

There are all the other considerations like making sure rear does not eat mudguard, but I'm sure your knowledgeable dealers will ... lol

It seems an act of heresy to me, you're buying a scalpel and deliberately blunting it. Why buy something that has purity of purpose and wreck it? Wear high heels, scoop the seat out, anything!