SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 10-07-09, 12:27 PM   #61
muffles

Default Re: RAF Northolt Airfield Riding Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmac View Post
Yeah there's a picture there mate
Ah yeah just had a look on my phone. How do the corners compare to a proper track? They are like right angles on some of them, lol. I can't quite imagine what it's like trying to get the right line around there, it's like trying to take the racing line round a corner in town.
Old 10-07-09, 02:21 PM   #62
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles View Post
it's like trying to take the racing line round a corner in town.
Tracks have any angle of corner from hairpin to open sweeper. So it's possible to get the racing line on any corner.

If you're good enough

If you mean overbanding and changes of tarmac/concrete on the different runway/access roads, then I could understand that to b more of a concern. I don't know as I wasn't there, but those that were seem to be keen enough to return
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 02:24 PM   #63
muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Tracks have any angle of corner from hairpin to open sweeper. So it's possible to get the racing line on any corner.

If you're good enough

If you mean overbanding and changes of tarmac/concrete on the different runway/access roads, then I could understand that to b more of a concern. I don't know as I wasn't there, but those that were seem to be keen enough to return
Actually I did mean the racing line, I can see it's possible to get "a" line it just feels like it would be a very strange situation? Because the corner will just jut out into your path, your line will basically be really far from the inner kerb, except when you pass that small point where the corner is. It sounds like it'd be quite technical to judge the correct line, unlike a 'traditional' corner where you can see the kerb coming closer to the bike as you go towards the apex, and further away afterwards (and all smoothly)?

Anyway, I guess it isn't an issue, you just take it a bit easier...I'm still up for this
Old 10-07-09, 02:41 PM   #64
Mej
Mega Poster

Sounds good, im up for it if it is an open event?

Mej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 02:44 PM   #65
joshmac

Still can't make up my mind if it's worth the £70...
Old 10-07-09, 03:00 PM   #66
FG1

Josh, ask any of the others who went last time. For a local day out, lunch and the possibility of a cd of pictures it seems £70 well spent.
Old 10-07-09, 03:12 PM   #67
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles View Post
Actually I did mean the racing line, I can see it's possible to get "a" line it just feels like it would be a very strange situation? Because the corner will just jut out into your path, your line will basically be really far from the inner kerb, except when you pass that small point where the corner is. It sounds like it'd be quite technical to judge the correct line, unlike a 'traditional' corner where you can see the kerb coming closer to the bike as you go towards the apex, and further away afterwards (and all smoothly)?

Anyway, I guess it isn't an issue, you just take it a bit easier...I'm still up for this
the corners aren't really as pronounced as you seem to think (at least i thought that), the main problem was in one place for me and the line i wanted to take there was some repair work done to the surface. so i had to take a line which i wasn't as comfortable with because the sv suspenders didn't like it, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmac View Post
Still can't make up my mind if it's worth the £70...
it's definately worth £70! even though we did get a couple of sessions less than you'd expect (apparently a couple of planes seemed to think it was an airport and we decided they were bigger than us and would move out the way! ).
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-09, 08:39 AM   #68
monkey

It's worth the £70 Josh.

Muffles, the track has some overbanding but it's in good condition as it has to have planes on it. The Queen's flight (I think) still come in there. Like Stu said it has corners which have their own line just like any track. It's wide in places and slim in others. There's a lovely tight left hander and a full speed left hander at the end of the runway. In fact last year the track layout was anti clockwise, something you don't see a lot so it's good practise.

Once you get onto the runway and give it 100% throttle you'll love it. I know that at least me and Messie were in fits of laughter when we came back from the first lap!
Old 12-07-09, 12:33 PM   #69
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

hmmm, i'm tempted. Whens the deadline for booking this?
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-09, 03:56 PM   #70
FG1

I will try and get more info asap. If last year is anything to go by there isn't really a deadline as such.