SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-02-12, 01:11 PM   #61
The Guru

Default Re: Increasing foreign aid.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_d View Post
Now you're getting into an interesting bit of human psychology. Consider this...

If you were walking past a lake and saw a child drowning, would you wade in and save them? Hopefully, in most cases, the answer would be yes.

Now what if you were wearing your new trousers. You bought them the day before for £50. Would you still wade in and save the child, even if it ruined your new trousers? Most of us wouldn't think too hard before replying, yes.

So, you'd happily sacrifice a £50 pair of trousers to save a child you can see. But if a charity collector (chugger) asked you for £10 to save a child in Africa you'd tell them to ^!$$ off.

Is the child you can see really five times more valuable?
Am I allowed to take them off before I dive in? Thus saving my new £50 trousers and also not weighing me down.
Old 07-02-12, 07:16 PM   #62
Bri w

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_d View Post
Now you're getting into an interesting bit of human psychology. Consider this...

If you were walking past a lake and saw a child drowning, would you wade in and save them? Hopefully, in most cases, the answer would be yes.

Now what if you were wearing your new trousers. You bought them the day before for £50. Would you still wade in and save the child, even if it ruined your new trousers? Most of us wouldn't think too hard before replying, yes.

So, you'd happily sacrifice a £50 pair of trousers to save a child you can see. But if a charity collector (chugger) asked you for £10 to save a child in Africa you'd tell them to ^!$$ off.

Is the child you can see really five times more valuable?
Today I put money in the cup of a street begger in Edinburgh, and also did my bit for UNICEF. Should I have walked past the street begger because he may have been a scam artist? Should I have put all my money in the begger's cup and ignored the guy from UNICEF?

Some of us do both. And at present we have very little control of what the idiots do in Westminster but we can make a difference both here and abroad.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-12, 07:26 PM   #63
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri w View Post
Today I put money in the cup of a street begger in Edinburgh, and also did my bit for UNICEF. Should I have walked past the street begger because he may have been a scam artist? Should I have put all my money in the begger's cup and ignored the guy from UNICEF?

Some of us do both. And at present we have very little control of what the idiots do in Westminster but we can make a difference both here and abroad.
Thanks for that Brian
Was a bit nippy in Edinburgh today eh?
Old 07-02-12, 10:27 PM   #64
Bri w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Thanks for that Brian
Was a bit nippy in Edinburgh today eh?
A bit nippy?!?

It was bl00dy freezing, and definitely not a day for a test ride!

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-12, 06:19 AM   #65
Stenno

I think it's a good thing within moderation. Hopefully one day other countries will take pity on us and send us money.