SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-08-11, 12:05 PM   #61
hongman

Default Re: Not revving past 11,500rpm in 6th

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post

Well it won't, 'cos the rev limiter kicks in at 10200, unless you have an SV400 ECU on it, which was apparently different, but I've never seen one.

But I wouldn't rule out the fact that the rev counter is not necassarily calibrated 100% accurately, which may end up pointing at 12k though the engine isn't doing that.

The limiter I think may cut one pot out first, but the bike doesn't know if it's in top or 5th so any difference in limiter feeling is not related to that, may be feeling different due to aerodynamics and momentum.

Thanks Chris, lol.

I hadn't even considered the tach not being calibrated properly.If this is the case then it is worryingly out?! Nearly 2k rpm out seems like an extortionate amount, although I'm assuming the margin for error grows as the needle moves up.

Some valuable info there.

And Taz, I get what you are saying, and that makes complete sense. I have a problem wording stuff as I think it in my head!
Old 11-08-11, 12:08 PM   #62
jambo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Well it won't, 'cos the rev limiter kicks in at 10200, unless you have an SV400 ECU on it, which was apparently different, but I've never seen one.

But I wouldn't rule out the fact that the rev counter is not necassarily calibrated 100% accurately, which may end up pointing at 12k though the engine isn't doing that.
I'd agree, but it's unlikely to be doing 140+ through a measured mile independantly measured over 2 runs either, so I thought we'd better stick to what the dials say

Hong: Take the topbox off, and check for definate if you're hitting the limiter. If you are, the only way you can achieve a higher speed is by gearing up, but there's unlikely to be much left in it anyway, and you may find that it won't have the power to get to that speed geared any higher anyway. Gear up, fit a turbo, and let us know how you get on Or don't if you're in any doubt about the rules for picking up the bar of soap . You're a big boy and I'd imagine you've found a private piece of road that reduces the chances of porridge.

Chris, getting wound up's bad for your health, but so is bottling up all that anger. So it's hard to know if you're doing yourself an injury or preventing one

Jambo

Last edited by jambo; 11-08-11 at 12:09 PM.
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 12:15 PM   #63
hongman

I'll probably not be riding the SV for a few weeks, primarily as my chain is worn to full stretch and at max adjustment, but its also overdue a service and I want to avoid riding it til I get at least the chain sorted.

I'll probably go flat out again soon, when, I dont know. When the opportunity presents itself! And it IS for a scientific cause...

I appreciate the offer of a bit of credit Jambo, I'm not technically a big boy () but I dont exactly go balls out in rush hour traffic. I value my license and I value my life to the extent that I dont do this if I think theres much of a chance of getting caught or coming off!

North Weald airfield is minutes from me also, I bet people would think I'm lying if I said all my testing has been done on that

Some people come across as a tad patronising at times, I dont know if they realise or mean it, but hey ho. Such is the forums. Pros still outweigh the cons, hence why I'm still here!

Last edited by hongman; 11-08-11 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-08-11, 12:36 PM   #64
maxinc

@Chris ... your technical knowledge is well regarded on this forum and your opinion always carries a significant weigh. Reinforcing it with so many censored words, only make you look ... less.
Old 11-08-11, 08:13 PM   #65
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

calm down or ile put you all on the naughty step
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-11, 05:00 PM   #66
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
Anyway for the record, and i know i have said this to you, there is NO WAY a curvy SV will hit anything above 120-125mph flat out down hill with a following wind on low friction tarmac (On std gear ratios) ...Indicated speed is nowhere near what actual speed is.
Mine did. 10.5k in top, bike in front (VTR1000) was indicating 145[1].

Druid

[1] The speedo I had at the time stopped registering properly at 65, fine for legal use, useless for 100+!
Old 12-08-11, 08:01 PM   #67
barwel1992

just for the record mine tops out at 125mph at 10k with 1 less tooth on the front
Old 12-08-11, 08:29 PM   #68
hongman

To be fair our bikes cant really be compared.

Mine is far better
Old 12-08-11, 09:00 PM   #69
Tim in Belgium

SV engines thrive on rev abuse. I revved mine for miles, sold it to a rev head who revved it and it still keeps going. I also got annoyed with the rev limiter, mine always wanted to pull, and then there is over revving on down changes, I don't know how my bike survived but it did/does. Burns a fair amount of oil though. I bought a revvy IL4 afterwards as I enjoyed the revs so much.

One other thought have you change the profile of the front tyre from a 120/60 to a 120/70? (wrt speed, but this wouldn't affect revs).

Out of interest how many miles has the engine done?
Old 12-08-11, 09:19 PM   #70
hongman

Thats nice to know

Front tyre is standard profile, as far as I know.

Engine has done 33kish. I change the oil every 3-4k, with filter every other oil change.