SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-11-06, 09:30 AM   #61
svrash

Is it the switch that changes fillament or the way the bulbs are made?
Old 14-11-06, 09:30 AM   #62
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants
HMMM had a thought! With the 'slow' start up of HIB bulbs, do you lose the headlamp flash facility if you headlamps are not on? Would that effect MOT?
I'd say yes,

Though you should always have your lights on, right?

Plus if you had these babies - you'd want to show everyone!!

Don't always have my lights on. I have a curvy, so lights are on a switch - I tend not to have them on all the time. Hence my question re the flash.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-06, 09:32 AM   #63
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
My concern would be with UV output/Protection of the bulb, as this will, overtime yellow the lens as its plastic. The temprature istelf wont be a problem, as HID run a lot cooler than filiment bulbs.
Are the light lenses on a curvy glass? I'm pretty sure mine are?
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-06, 09:35 AM   #64
Ter

We'll see,

Old 14-11-06, 09:46 AM   #65
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ter
svrash et al,

not sure if this is covered by the kit or wiring harness in the kit but I was having a think about this group buy this morning,

My concern is this.

On my naked SV, when you push the pass button (yellow button on LHS switchgear/flasher), the dipped beam stays on while the hi beam lights momentarily. However if you flick the headlamp control switch from dipped to main beam, the dipped beam goes off and the main beam takes over.

I.e. the two filaments are not on simultaneously when the main beam is switched on (NOT via yellow pass switch)

So...

(stay with me here)

If you were to install this kit onto your bike, everything would be fine when riding with dipped beams and also when you wanted to flash people.

But when you switch the beam to HI, In my head I see everything turning off - although the metal shield would be activated to allow for a HI beam. But as the dipped beam signal is no longer feeding the bulb, there will be no light.

Now I could be wrong, but in simple terms, I think this is right? Can anyone agree / disagree?

I think we'd need some sort of relay (5 point with 87a and 87 - Normally closed and normally open gates) to ensure that when HI beam is selected there is a feed to the light unit.

I'm handy with electronics so could easily rig something up - but for those who are less electrically minded than I - it might'nt be a plug and play!

I'm not fitting my kit to and SVS so can't say of the above is true for certain - but on the naked version - this is how it works. Since the SVS uses the sames relays I'd imagine this is true.

I'll mock up a few wiring diagrams if you guys want?

Phew,

Thats the end of my rant.

So svrash, do you know if the wiring harness takes care of this issue?

How HID works on the girlfriends car is that it has a shutter system. So the bulb is only one filiment for want of a better word and its the shutter thatflicks to produce main beam. This leads to a far better light speard than a common H4 dual filiment bulb. It will not draw anymore current on dipped, than it will on full, or pass. If i read what has been typed and wquoted correctly, this bulb has a shild type affair built into the bulb, and mimics the shutter type system. So this in turn would be an instant flick to main beam, and would not 'start up' like when you switch on for the 1st time.

And the lens on the SV is Definitly Plastic. (tap it with a coin)
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-06, 10:07 AM   #66
Ter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
How HID works on the girlfriends car is that it has a shutter system. So the bulb is only one filiment for want of a better word and its the shutter thatflicks to produce main beam. This leads to a far better light speard than a common H4 dual filiment bulb. It will not draw anymore current on dipped, than it will on full, or pass. If i read what has been typed and wquoted correctly, this bulb has a shild type affair built into the bulb, and mimics the shutter type system. So this in turn would be an instant flick to main beam, and would not 'start up' like when you switch on for the 1st time.

And the lens on the SV is Definitly Plastic. (tap it with a coin)

I get what your saying but from rest isn't there a start up delay before light is produced to full extent? Sure when you flash someone it'll light up - but not at the same temperature (light output)as if the headlight was on,

What I was getting at was - What controls the shutter/sheid/deflector/etc of the bulb? - if this is the HI/Full beam signal - then the light would be lost as selecting full beam cuts the low beam which would've been feeding the signal.

But as svrash said, many systems work like this and perhaps the black box (ballast) take care of it.

Never investigated the ballast, always thought it was just a fancy resistor!

Old 14-11-06, 10:17 AM   #67
svrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ter
But as svrash said, many systems work like this and perhaps the black box (ballast) take care of it.

Never investigated the ballast, always thought it was just a fancy resistor!

I know the ballasts contain the starters for the lights and resistors for the wattage, i'm sure the people behind them thought about the rest too.

As for MoT time, if it fails, just put the normal bulbs on the exhaust & number plate list but personally, i don't see how it would fail
Old 14-11-06, 11:10 PM   #68
Benji

Flashing (using the passing switch) will be a problem but only if you haven't got the lights on already.

If you flash with no lights on there will be a delay for the lights coming on and it will be a dull blue. I also don't know how the ballasts will like being flashed for a fraction of a second, is there some sort of 'off' delay as well so that it stays ON for a while after being flashed?

Viney, with the legallity issues I don't really mean the beam pattern although that is another consideration.

When I mean issues I mean that all cars as far as I am aware when fitted with xenons legally HAVE to have headlight washers and also the sensors and mechanisms to automatically adjust the headlight level, I think there was a third but I can't remember.
Old 15-11-06, 07:18 PM   #69
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants
HMMM had a thought! With the 'slow' start up of HIB bulbs, do you lose the headlamp flash facility if you headlamps are not on? Would that effect MOT?
I'm pretty sure you could fail your MOT just for having these tbh. Just because they're a massive safety booster doesn't mean they're legal
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-06, 12:10 AM   #70
ejohnh

Default Pythonesque?

This thread is getting a bit like "what have the romans done for us?"