SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-04-09, 03:12 PM   #61
Baph

Default Re: error code c-42

That's why I said to check with you uncle.

Keep me posted. I'm suffering intermittent C42's myself, but if I flick the kill switch it goes away. So I haven't bothered stripping it to fix it properly yet.

Usual case, when you know how to investigate it, and what's likely to be wrong, it just sits there with nothing done to it.
Old 02-05-09, 01:47 PM   #62
pencil shavings

ok...

just checked the relay again.. this time correctly according to Haynes.

I get 5.1 Ohms across the relays coil terminals, which is right. which means the relay is ok I think?
Old 02-05-09, 07:37 PM   #63
pencil shavings

ok... the problem has been narrowed down to the ECU not pulling the ground side of the relay down to switch it on.

I have tested the relay/fuel pump and they both work.

(By I, I mean my uncle who actaully knows how to use a multimeter!)

Why would the ECU not be doing its job and are there input sensors or anything else I should check??

thanks
Old 05-05-09, 08:38 AM   #64
Baph

OK, if you've determined that the ECU isn't grounding the relay sufficiently, the next step is to work out if the ECU is FUBAR'd or if the ECU hasn't got sufficient earth itself.

Unplug the ECU, trace the ground wire from the relay to the ECU (looking for breaks etc. Then get a bit of wire, and attach one end to the frame (or battery -ve). The other end gets attached to the ECU plug (where the relay ground wire is - the one you've just traced). Then take the relay out again, and check for continuity between the ground terminal on the relay and earth (either frame or battery -ve).

If you have continuity here, good. If not, there's a problem in the wiring between the relay & the ECU.

Next, work out where the ECU earth cables are (I haven't got the haynes on me at the mo - I'll find out in a short while), and check for continuity between the ECU plug & earth using this wire.

If you have continuity here (and have continuity on the test above), then it's bad news. That means the ECU is FUBAR'd, and you'll be needing a new one. Pointy restricted ECU's sell for anywhere upwards of £65. Unrestricted ones are around the £150 mark.

If you don't have continuity in that last test (you may have to test more than one wire in total, but only one wire at any one time), then this indicates that the ECU is more than likely OK, but the problem is the earth wiring.

That brings me on to a point. Have you checked the main engine earth? On the pointy, there's a small bolt holding a wire to the rear of the engine. It's best viewed from the throttle side, and is down between the shock lower mountings and the engine itself. This wire then runs up the engine, and across the bike just behind the rear piston to a pretty large loom bundle tucked inside the rear left fairings. If you look at the connector there, it's all black wires. That's where all the earth's from various circuits meet.
Old 05-06-11, 12:11 PM   #65
pencil shavings

Hello guys,

yes this is a very old topic and yes I havent been on for a long time but I thought I would give an update

I had been living with this problem intermitantly for too long. It wasnt causing any great problems just irritation mostly and a bit of time to get it working.

However, some c-units stole my beloved bike from my driveway. Luckly they couldnt get it started (because I had taken out the batery for charging because I had a broken ankle and couldnt ride) and the damage was minimal when the police recovered it from a feild near my house.

Damage was:
Barreled ignition and petrol cap
RHS front faring chipped paint
RHS chip in tank paint
and a few scratches on the LHS

So I changed the barrel and that has magically fixed the problem wth the error code. So I can only conclude that the grainy feeling in the barrel (different thread) was actaully a loose conneciton in the workings of the barrel that was causing the problem.

I picked up a complete lock set off ebay for circa £50 so not the end of the world considering the bike got stolen and it fixed a long standing problem.

Hope this helps anyone else who has the same c-42 error code.

Cheers guys and girls
Old 23-05-21, 05:35 PM   #66
genebene

first time on here and saw were the i have a 2007Suzuki Boulevard C50 that has a code42 on it and trying to figure out were to look and how to fix it.
genebene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-21, 01:57 PM   #67
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by genebene View Post
first time on here and saw were the i have a 2007Suzuki Boulevard C50 that has a code42 on it and trying to figure out were to look and how to fix it.
The main problem here is that this is the SV forum so we don't have any knowledge of the "quirks" of the C50 like we do with the SV650 models. The error codes do seem similar to the SV and according to this manual (VZ800 - that's the closest model I could find) the error is caused by a defective ignition switch (or a defective ECU - which is probably less likely).

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/82...age=225#manual.

The manual suggests checking the switch for continuity and leads you to this page:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/82...age=385#manual

So, with the switch in the "ON" position the red, orange, orange/yellow and brown wires should all be connected. Disconnect the battery before trying the test. It could also be the connection between the switch and the ECU, I suppose. Honestly, I don't even know where the ignition switch is on a C50.

There are forums dedicated to the C50/M50Volusia
https://www.volusiariders.com/

https://www.motorcycleforums.net/for...-boulevard.97/

They ought to have more experience than us. Good luck.