SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-09-08, 01:29 PM   #61
Daimo

Default Re: TL Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
it was from the pyschological couch. and its not a crock of dogs doodles..
Believe me when I say I have had far too many conversations in my kitchen about this sort of clap trap.. perhaps i should record the conversations of young men...then they'd hear what they sounded like!

ooo the TL such a dangerous toy ... must have one of those..the myth the mystery the legend. hen they get disappointed because they find its a fat pudding, doesn't handle well, unless a fortune in mods has been thrown at it, and its old, theres certainly some better litre bikes on the market that would scare em.. I'm sure

Cat, pigeons, me thinks
Well i'd personnally take the opinion of my 40 years of riding dad, with 10 years race experience, and a BSB level license, who's had one and loved it (and who has had his fair share of bikes, including a 24k Benelli, MV4, FZR1000 EXUP's, yadder blah, in other words, a lot...), over someone on the internet who's probably ridden a mear few bikes.

They are not dangerous. They are only as dangerous as your prepared to twist your right hand........ But then thats said of any bikes....

Most litre sports bikes, be it VTwins or IL4, would probably eat a TL in a straight line these days anyway, but at the time......

Im yet to hear a bike that gets me as excited as a TL1000 with twin carbon Arts on tickover though, and thats where the excitment and facsination of a TL1000 starts (R, not that toned down S version).
Old 25-09-08, 01:31 PM   #62
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Exactly Fizz, I have looked at a couple myself, in the interests of science etc..lol
No seriously I have. I could jump on the VRaptor if I wanted to, the keys are glinting at me now, but i can't be ar$$ed as I got the school run in a mo

If I decided to buy one, I'm lucky i have a very very experienced and knowledgeable better half, so I wouldn't end up buying a donkey. Theres a feew out there that have well thought out mods, that give em better handling etc, but as you said they are high mileage too. The only thing I'd be worried about is that they are heavy, obviously...and as the Raptor is like a dinky toy, I'd be more suited to riding that, but thats his bike, and its best I had one of my own.
Oh, and that would be such a shame, wouldn't it
Hes kinda hinted at me getting a TL...purely so he can ride it too, of course. Why stop the habit of hoarding cult bikes...perhaps I should have one after all....lol

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 25-09-08 at 01:34 PM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-08, 01:36 PM   #63
Daimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
I'd agree it does have a hooligan reputation, but its also one from what I've read that it perhaps doesnt deserve and its based on the experiences of test riders from magazines hyping it up...

The ex of a girl I was seeing a long time ago had a TLS and a TLR. He'd had the rotary rear shock sorted out and he said it was a sweet handling bike. I trusted his opinion he was a very experienced road rider and had done a fair bit of racing / track days to.

I can see the appeal I looked at buying one and decided against it, purely because every one I looked at had alot of miles on it they all looked scabby also as said its getting old and I didnt fancy owning a money pit which all the ones I looked at had turned into.

I agree personally I think you could fnid as good as or better litre twin for a litlte more money. Personally for me I think my GSXR is a better bike. But then life woudl be very dull if we all liked the same thing wouldnt it.
Your GSXR is an overall better bike than a Benelli Tornado.

But i know what i'd rather have

As you say, everyones different, im glad we're all seperate. Im almost bored seeing R1, GSXR, CBR's all the damn time. Give me something new or different.

Everyone looks at a TL as it pulls in. No-one really looks when the other more common, faster, better bikes pull up.

Potato Potarrrrrto though

Thing is, if your looking to buy a bike because of the "hooliganism" of it, then should that person really be riding a motorcycle at all
Old 25-09-08, 01:49 PM   #64
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimo View Post
Thing is, if your looking to buy a bike because of the "hooliganism" of it, then should that person really be riding a motorcycle at all
I dont see why they shouldnt, we all have different reasons for riding and wanting to ride. If somebody wants a certain bike for bragging rights in the pub thats up to them, They might not necessarily be somebody I would like to hang around with, but hey whatever floats your boat.

Funny you should mention the Benelli I was quite tempted at one point. I still like the look of them now, eeek dont tempt me...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-08, 02:00 PM   #65
Daimo

FEEL THE TEMPTATION

http://www.benelliforum.com/gallery/members

I do understand you yeah, we may not agree with some bikers methods, or their reasons for biking, but i guess we're all allowed to do with our own life as we please.

Its just the hooligans are more likley to be popping wheelies (keeping in true TL post related fashon ) down high streets..
Old 25-09-08, 02:03 PM   #66
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimo View Post
Its just the hooligans are more likley to be popping wheelies (keeping in true TL post related fashon ) down high streets..

nah ya want an RD350 for that.Gets more attention... in a cloud of blue smoke

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-08, 02:37 PM   #67
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
it was from the pyschological couch. and its not a crock of dogs doodles..
Old 25-09-08, 07:59 PM   #68
Paws

Default Re: px/swap my tl 1000 for a curvey??

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post

Ice wasn't your fault? How do you come to that conclusion? You were out on the bike in ice (mistake 1, i do it too, my own risk and have never come off yet), you failed to control your bike on the ice (mistake 2, granted, sometimes it can be impossible, see mistake 1 for solution to this).

If I came off on ice, I would be kicking myself for my own mistake...

Ermm hows it my mistake?? needed to get to work...dont drive..ohh and not scared/bothered about riding in ANY weather-id like to see anyone control a bike on black ice , was taking it extra steady and slow-its something that couldnt be avoided.I qwould have thought that you wouldve have learnt that running over your foot/eg once was oainful let alone doing it a 2nd time

In all seriousness if your feeling "bored" with the sv-get out on a track day, see what these "little" bikes can do, me and treacle intend to buy another curvy at some point as a track toy, days are getting cheaper now as winter closes in and weve got silverstone and rockingham just up the road
Old 25-09-08, 09:03 PM   #69
Ed

TLs? - you can keep em. Never appealed to me. I don't understand why so many want one. Whatever floats your boat I spose. So many sanctimonious comments on here, Plowsie if you want one then go buy one. I think that the decision on whether it's a suitable bike for you is yours - and yours alone. All this BS claptrap about it being too much, needing to get miles under your belt etc - you don't need to justify yourself to anyone.
Old 25-09-08, 09:26 PM   #70
plowsie

Default Re: px/swap my tl 1000 for a curvey??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws View Post
ohh and not scared/bothered about riding in ANY weather-id like to see anyone control a bike on black ice ,
Harsh comment, I wonder how many commuters, me included, stayed on their bikes last year after running on black ice. Remember that random Sunday that it just snowed and no-one xpected it. I went out in that and didn't have one scare!
was taking it extra steady and slow-its something that couldnt be avoided
I bet it could have, forward planning, expect Ice on an icy morning perhaps...
I qwould have thought that you wouldve have learnt that running over your foot/eg once was oainful let alone doing it a 2nd time
Yarp I did, slippy boot, as you seem to say a lot yourself, not my fault, however i seem to be one of the only people to have done it (Oh wait, speak to Jester, speak to el saxo)
Just because you seem to find certain things a difficulty/get it wrong, it doesn't mean that others will.

I'm bored of the "world evolves round me" attitude now, can we stop this please as I really can't be bothered. Ady and I have talked figures and my figures just aren't gonna add up in the long term.

Ed I don't give a rats ass what people say mate if all they have got is the myths and legends, Fizz and I have been talking and he has been very helpful, giving me factual information (as in it has this problem) about bikes I am looking at. Not "you can't handle it mate don't bother".