SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-11-12, 02:36 PM   #61
-Ralph-

Oxtar goretex boots, best bit of kit I own.

Coldkillers stuff is amazing. How you can be layered up in t shirts fleece and winter lined textiles in freezing temperatures, so your 2 inches in insulation, yet your neck stays warm with 2 millimetres of a single layer fabric. I just find that amazing.

I have found gloves that work. They are a bit thick, but Id rather that than cold. They are unbranded 20 quid, only ever see them in the bargain bins at bike shows, they are labelled Schoeller Keprotec and stay warm and waterproof for about 2 hours in motorway spray conditions, which I think is about as wet as it gets, like having a jet wash pointed at you.

Ive had a few cheap jackets that are totally waterproof, but with cheap jackets you do pay for it in breathability and get as wet with sweat as you would if the jacket leaked. HG Goretex will probably be my next textile suit.

I have RST kevlar jeans that have done about 8000 miles now and are still holding up well, which I think aint bad for denim.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-12, 04:13 PM   #62
missyburd

Default Re: Brand preferences of gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Oxtar goretex boots, best bit of kit I own.
+1. Mine are just great, not as warm as they used to be but still completely waterproof after a very wet winter and summer...about to go into another winter
Old 01-11-12, 07:04 PM   #63
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Brand preferences of gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyburd View Post
Interesting, I am coming to that conclusion too, really don't have much luck with them
since this has come back around.

i recently got a pair of Rukka Apollo gloves and they have stayed 100% waterproof even for a few hundred mile ride in torrential rain

not cheep by any means but worth every single blooody penny
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-12, 10:46 PM   #64
embee
Mega Poster

Whaddya mean, not cheap? You practically stole them!

I got a pair of size 12 Apollos from Bikerland.de for just over £100 delivered in 3 days from order, compared to around £160 retail here. Great service, reply to emails immediately (good english).

As Bibio says, I've found them excellent, I really like the feel, smooth with no seams, very well made, nice. I'd describe them as "sturdy summer" gloves, probably not quite warm enough for winter riding (but I don't do cold these days!).
Old 02-11-12, 12:23 AM   #65
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Whaddya mean, not cheap? You practically stole them!

I got a pair of size 12 Apollos from Bikerland.de for just over £100 delivered in 3 days from order, compared to around £160 retail here. Great service, reply to emails immediately (good english).

As Bibio says, I've found them excellent, I really like the feel, smooth with no seams, very well made, nice. I'd describe them as "sturdy summer" gloves, probably not quite warm enough for winter riding (but I don't do cold these days!).
heheheeee.. yup but to buy new but as you say they are £160 in uk shops but even if i had to pay the £160 they would still be worth every penny of that now that i have actually sampled a pair and not trusted the glossy mag reviews.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 05:48 PM   #66
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyburd View Post
+1. Mine are just great, not as warm as they used to be but still completely waterproof after a very wet winter and summer...about to go into another winter
And to back this up, just spent two hours in torrential rain, wind thunder and lightening, and my bottom half was bone dry which I'm very pleased about. Need a new jacket though...Oh and muffs on the bike, might help prevent this

Old 02-11-12, 09:53 PM   #67
SIII
Mega Poster

Talking Re: Brand preferences of gear?

+1 on the cold killers, how the feck a single piece of cloth keeps my neck warm???? Got the one that goes across yer nose and down to mid chest - maxi tube - best £20ish quid spent.

Also would like to recommend Under Armour coldgear. Excellent at keeping warm and not sweaty. Was out in the Scottish borders last week, snow on the ground and under armour bottoms under leathers - was OK. Warm enough on the bike but not betty swollicks walking around at the Border Reivers race thingy.

UA coldgear under coldkillers jacket/liner thingy and Textile jacket - toasty.

Last edited by SIII; 02-11-12 at 09:55 PM.
SIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 10:14 PM   #68
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed
Default Re: Brand preferences of gear

Helmet Viemar because it fits me
Leathers HG streetline very old but still good
Textiles Wiese Blade2 water proof so far also crash test by me haha.
Boots HG cost about £70 last year got them as protection seems / feels OK and good to walk in when the need arises.
Gloves Gerbings G3 and Held winter gloves both very good for the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
over proofs - HG and i must say i like them as they have never leaked.
Super value and have never leaked for me as well.