SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-12-06, 06:55 PM   #61
Jdubya

I shall post a few up in the photos section...

They are HERE NOW.
Old 03-12-06, 08:48 PM   #62
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by weazelz
... late start @10, track wetter than an otter's pocket, I'd wound up in the fast group - yikes - tip-toeing round on supercorsa's & an un-adjusted wobbly new rear shock. tyre man had no 160-sections wets
Did you not get a front fitted? Surely a wet front at least would have been advantageous??

I think you can only get as small as 165 rears btw .. or d u mean he only had 180s??
Old 04-12-06, 09:42 AM   #63
weazelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S
Did you not get a front fitted? Surely a wet front at least would have been advantageous??
I did think about it .. I put my bt-14 on the front as it has a little more tread. bt-14's as rain tyres - lol

Quote:
I think you can only get as small as 165 rears btw .. or d u mean he only had 180s??
he only had 180's
Old 04-12-06, 09:45 AM   #64
SV650Racer

Quote:
Quote:
... late start @10, track wetter than an otter's pocket, I'd wound up in the fast group - yikes - tip-toeing round on supercorsa's & an un-adjusted wobbly new rear shock. tyre man had no 160-sections wets

You can get 160 rear wets in most makes. Fitting a wet front with SC rear is never a good plan!.

Your best off getting something with more thread fitted for this time of year anyway..as the SC wont get hot enough to work properly. Pirelli Diablo's are pretty damn good for this time of year on track and work well in the wet/damp too.
Old 04-12-06, 11:49 AM   #65
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
I did think about it .. I put my bt-14 on the front as it has a little more tread. bt-14's as rain tyres - lol
he only had 180's
Why didn't you swap the rear to 014 too??

Trackday tyre support does seem poor, or at least very focused around 180/190 bikes ... When we were at Silverstone last and trying to get some better tyres for Thor, they didn't have any 160 (dry) tyres!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650Racer
You can get 160 rear wets in most makes. Fitting a wet front with SC rear is never a good plan!.
Your best off getting something with more thread fitted for this time of year anyway..as the SC wont get hot enough to work properly. Pirelli Diablo's are pretty damn good for this time of year on track and work well in the wet/damp too.
Fair enough, but when I enquired on here about SV wets the only response was Mike123 who said he used 165 anyway As for wet front - dry rear .. done it a few times now in 'drying' conditions, you are only going to ride at speeds that are appropriate for the rear anyway, but it is nice to know that the front is 'safe'. Also you don't end up trashing a wet rear if it drys quickly. So why is that never a good plan?

I was also surprised how well the supercorsa's worked in wet/damp conditions at Cadwell earlier this year. I wasn't going to break any lap records, but they felt surprisingly sure footed.

That said for trackdaying I have to agree, something with tread would make more sense this time of year. But if the track is dry, there is no reason you cant get some good temp into Supercorsa's.
Old 04-12-06, 12:02 PM   #66
SV650Racer

Quote:
Quote:
he only had 180's

Trackday tyre support does seem poor, or at least very focused around 180/190 bikes ... When we were at Silverstone last and trying to get some better tyres for Thor, they didn't have any 160 (dry) tyres!!!!

Quote:
Fair enough, but when I enquired on here about SV wets the only response was Mike123 who said he used 165 anyway As for wet front - dry rear .. done it a few times now in 'drying' conditions, you are only going to ride at speeds that are appropriate for the rear anyway, but it is nice to know that the front is 'safe'. Also you don't end up trashing a wet rear if it drys quickly. So why is that never a good plan?

I was also surprised how well the supercorsa's worked in wet/damp conditions at Cadwell earlier this year. I wasn't going to break any lap records, but they felt surprisingly sure footed.

That said for trackdaying I have to agree, something with tread would make more sense this time of year. But if the track is dry, there is no reason you cant get some good temp into Supercorsa's.
I have seen a few people crash using a dry/wet combination - whether it be dry front/wet rear or other way round mainly due to one tyre offering ALOT more grip than the other causing the dry tyre to spin or slide easier. Also the construction is alot different so effectivly your running mismatched tyres.

Some SV fitment wets come in a 165 - think they are the Michelins.

Have ridden in the damp on slicks which worked very well believe it or not..supercorsas also work good but when its really cold they dont!.
Old 04-12-06, 12:22 PM   #67
weazelz

Quote:
Quote:
only had 20 mins between swapping from group 3 to group 2 - took 10 mins to get the group sticker swapped

I'm crap at swapping wheels, so I just did the front
Old 04-12-06, 12:36 PM   #68
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
I have seen a few people crash using a dry/wet combination - whether it be dry front/wet rear or other way round mainly due to one tyre offering ALOT more grip than the other causing the dry tyre to spin or slide easier. Also the construction is alot different so effectivly your running mismatched tyres.

Some SV fitment wets come in a 165 - think they are the Michelins.

Have ridden in the damp on slicks which worked very well believe it or not..supercorsas also work good but when its really cold they dont!.
I hear what you are saying, but people can crash whatever (I am sure you have seen people crash with both dry AND both wet combo too!! ), but when conditions are mixed, chances of making a mistake are much higher. Agree any mismatch is not optimal, but unless you have 'inters' you are screwed either way, I find the wet front dry rear a logical compromise.

I've used supercorsas and racetechs in 2deg track temp before now without problem (obviously need to be mindful and therefor times are down on warmer times though).

Quote:
only had 20 mins between swapping from group 3 to group 2 - took 10 mins to get the group sticker swapped

I'm crap at swapping wheels, so I just did the front
Furry muff