SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-05-06, 01:43 PM   #61
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyerkneedown
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.d.
Quote:

It is a proven method and commonly known to increase sales figures by a very substantial amount.
But it's f*ckin annoying and wrong, it should be banned.
I always put the phone straight down if it's a salesman, thats if i answer the phone, i never normally bother answering the home phone, if any one wants me they can ring my mobile.
Why should it be banned? If you were a businessman, and you wanted to increase your sales figures and profitablity of your company - you would employ exactly the same approach.

Dont say you wouldnt, cos if you didnt, your business would only be partially as successful as you could be. And dont forget - the ENTIRE point of business is to make money.

For every person person who says they hate sales calls - there is someone who will purchase a product as a result of those calls.
So then, how many salesman calls do you sit there and have a good old chat to. Call me between 9 and 5. After that, its harrasment. They never remove you form thier databases. I have tried. I still used to get things form Britania music, even though i had told them, i was emigrating!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-06, 01:43 PM   #62
keithd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharriso74
Always get me while I'm dropping the kids off
put your answerphone on then!!
Old 19-05-06, 01:44 PM   #63
K

Quote:
Quote:

For every person person who says they hate sales calls - there is someone who will purchase a product as a result of those calls.
Apart from you there has been no one else i've ever known that has liked sales calls, and i don't know any one that has ever bought some thing because of one.

It's an invasion of privacy, my time at home is my time to relax. If i want to buy stuff i go out and look for what i want and buy it from a place of my choosing, and why on earth do they always ring just when you've sat down for your dinner, do they just wanna p*ss you off that little bit more.
My ansaphone cuts in after four rings and unless I'm right there I can never make it to the phone in time - pretty much everyone I know is aware of this and so generally starts their messages with "Are you there? Come on crip, answer the phone. No. Oh well... leaves message."

Salesmen never leave a message so I never pick up. Screening calls = it's not very polite but I can't help but do it at the moment.
Maybe it's a bad habit I'll keep.
Old 19-05-06, 01:44 PM   #64
Anonymous

Quote:
Quote:

Apart from you there has been no one else i've ever known that has liked sales calls, and i don't know any one that has ever bought some thing because of one.

It's an invasion of privacy, my time at home is my time to relax. If i want to buy stuff i go out and look for what i want and buy it from a place of my choosing, and why on earth do they always ring just when you've sat down for your dinner, do they just wanna p*ss you off that little bit more.
I dont like receiving sales calls. But being a Business Analyst i know the reasons for them, and KNOW as a FACT they do their job. If they didnt - you seriously think companies would spend lots of money persuing such campaigns?

Why do they call you at tea time. Hazard a guess.

They want to hit a certain audience. They want to ensure the contact they're calling is in. What better time to do that than between the hours of 5pm and 9pm. The PEAK times.

You may not know people who have purchased as a result of sales calls, but thats not to mean it doesnt happen. This said company in York makes £5m a year as a result of its telesales department. Thats £5m it wouldnt make if the department was scrapped.

Thats £5m on that one department alone - when you consider the other routes to market, you can see just how profitable telesales can be.

As for your comment about going out and purchasing the product if you wanted it.

What if its a new product, no one knows about it, but they feel that after studying your demographics that you would benefit from this product. They call you, and it turns out its something that you've been wanting, but as its a new product - its not advertised anywhere, its not in the shops or on the internet. Nor in your yellow pages etc.

Like I said earlier, telesales is a two pronged approach.
Old 19-05-06, 01:45 PM   #65
diamond

Quote:
If you were a businessman
If i was ever a businessman, i would be very concerned.
Old 19-05-06, 01:47 PM   #66
Anonymous

Quote:
Quote:
I realised that after id posted.

My apologies.

If you were a businessWOman.
Old 19-05-06, 01:47 PM   #67
K

The flip side is that of the number of people I know who have done Telesales as temp or part-time jobs = 100% of them say that the job sucks donkey balls.
Old 19-05-06, 01:50 PM   #68
diamond

Quote:
its not advertised anywhere, its not in the shops or on the internet. Nor in your yellow pages etc.
They wanna be spending a bit more on advertising then, if you've never seen a product and there's no way of seeing or reading about it anyway then surely most people are gonna be a bit dubious about buying it. To many scams about to risk it.
Old 19-05-06, 01:52 PM   #69
diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by K
The flip side is that of the number of people I know who have done Telesales as temp or part-time jobs = 100% of them say that the job sucks donkey balls.
And they don't know or care about the product they are selling.

If you actually try and ask them a question about the product they have no idea, not a good advert for the product IMO.
Old 19-05-06, 01:53 PM   #70
diamond

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I realised that after id posted.

My apologies.

If you were a businessWOman.
No problem, but any way i'll never be in business, i'm gonna win the lottery and be rich