SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-03-08, 06:57 PM   #61
Rich
Mega Poster

Default Re: I've got the front end Bug!! Help!!

Just a quick question about wheel bearings. I brought a new GSXR front wheel and some new bearings, now how do i get them in the wheel. It's bloody tight, do i just give them a good few whacks with a mallet or is there a special way?

Cheers Rich
Old 07-03-08, 07:14 PM   #62
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Gently!

2 ways possibly, one is to use a bit of threaded bar and draw them in, other way is to grind down the inner of the old bearing and hit that. Or use a socket that will touch the OUTER of the new bearing and use that to drive them in.

Make sure they go in straight, a bit of light grease and cleaning the bearing recess helps, lots of little taps don't beat the $hit out of it.
Old 07-03-08, 07:28 PM   #63
northwind
Mega Poster

I use a big socket, and a bigger hammer
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-08, 12:02 PM   #64
Rich
Mega Poster

So a quick update, i'm getting there slowly with all the parts only a few things left really before i can get this show on the road. Brought a new wheel from delkevic because to get on in decent condition was costing as much as a new one from these. It's in white i know but thats all they had in stock for a while so i said i'd have it if they delivered FOC. Luckily i know a place close by that will powder coat it so no problems there.

Also this week my abba stand arrived, bloody great bit of kit paddock stands are a thing of the past now.

And shortly to follow this week is a new set of solo course discs, can't wait things are coming together now. Watch this space

Oh and ofcourse some piccys to keep you all amused.

Old 09-03-08, 01:29 PM   #65
Red Herring
Mega Poster

I see you have the GSXR 1000 forks and you have put the 600 brakes on it, have you got the wheel/discs to fit yet? I thought the 1000 only went to radial brakes on the K6, so if they are 1000 forks (black tubes) they shouldn't be K4? Please someone correct me if I am wrong but I also thought the K6/K7 1000 wheel was different, in which case you might have trouble getting the wheel/disc combination you want if you use 600 brakes. Only reason I know is that I have just done similar, tried to marry K4 600 forks/wheel to 1000 radial calipers (the black ones) and failed.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-08, 02:02 PM   #66
Dangerous Dave

GSXR1000 K4 and K5 came with radials, gold ones too which are what was on the GSXR600/750 K4 and K5.
Old 09-03-08, 02:11 PM   #67
northwind
Mega Poster

The 1000 went to radials first, in 2003.As long as the bolt width is compatible most radial calipers interchange- there's only really 3 sizes out there, which are more or less italian, japanese, and R1 6-pot. They also come in different "heights" (and maybe so do the mounts) which can be problematic, since frinstance my GSXR thou Tokico calipers effectively have a spacer built in, which means that on the K4 750 forks thy'll only fit 320mm discs (or larger). I don't have enough info to say exactly which are which though- but you get the most choice with a caliper and fork set that combines for 300mm, then you can always use bigger discs by spacing the caliper.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-08, 02:48 PM   #68
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Thanks, that's where I went wrong. I ended up with the black 1000 caplipers designed for 320mm discs and I either needed to change discs, or calipers. I changed calipers in the end which was not that expensive, there seem to be plenty on the market.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-08, 03:06 PM   #69
Rich
Mega Poster

I've been doing my research don't you worry. No i have GSXR1000 K3/K4 forks (same for both years) and GSXR1000 K3 Calipers. Heres a pic to prove it, the calipers are a different shape from K4 onwards abit more angular on the Mounting points.

You lot had m e worried for a moment there..

Last edited by Rich; 09-03-08 at 03:08 PM.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-08, 04:52 PM   #70
phil24_7
Mega Poster

How much did you pay for the front wheel?

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote