SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-12-06, 07:40 PM   #691
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero
Decided that today isnt a good day to go learning more about my SV and extending my riding limits
Limits and knowledge can only be expanded by testing both. FACT!

(I had to ride home last night in freezing fog, so I knew what the weather would be like this morning, so doubled my commute time today & took it REALLY easy. Luckily I work for someone that if I decide it's too dangerous to ride, they don't mind me "working" from home.)

Menai bridge looks COOL when all you can see around you is blue haze. FACT!
LOL thats true; i managed to get out the other day and expand my limits and knowledge. First smooth slide from the front on the greasy roads. Well, it felt like a slide to me, or some sort of drifty feeling. Anywho, it wasnt horrible. The SV really is a confidence-inspiring machine.

Oh, todays Fact Of The Day: Water can be used as a fuel, apparently. I dont know how. But it can.

Um

Not.

Matt
Old 23-12-06, 07:45 PM   #692
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovi5
The doctor said I wouldn't have so many nose bleeds if I kept my finger outta there.
I was told that by a freind, but I just cant help myself

Matt
Old 24-12-06, 08:11 PM   #693
Alpinestarhero

The smell of poop comes from a chemical called Skatole. However, in very low concentrations, this molecule smells sweet...

More info here:

http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/motm.htm

Matt
Old 24-12-06, 10:26 PM   #694
philipMac

There are a few orders of magnitude more genes in humans that are to do with out sense of smell, than our vision.

Interesting... since our vision is decent, and our sense of smell is rubbish.
Old 03-01-07, 06:54 PM   #695
tinpants
Ubique

Contrary to popular belief, masturbation does not make you blind.

Now, where did I put those glasses?.................
Old 03-01-07, 07:41 PM   #696
netsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero
The smell of poop comes from a chemical called Skatole. However, in very low concentrations, this molecule smells sweet...
And butyric acid, a chemical that gives vomit its smell is also in parmesan cheese, hence the stench.

Pete
Old 03-01-07, 08:43 PM   #697
Alpinestarhero

I deteste parmasan.

There's two schools of thought knocking around as to how we smell. One school of thought is the "lock and key" idea; the substrate (the smelly chemical) binds to the receptor (in your nose) and if it fits correctly, it gives off a particular smell.

The other school of thought (and my prefered idea) is that the vibrations of the substrate (caused by bonds stretching and bending etc etc) and the subsequent distortions of the receptors electron field (cant put it any better way) cause the smell thats...smelt.

And netsurfer, lets be IUPAC about this...it also goes by the name of Butanoic acid

Acids smell worse with increasing chain length. Anyone ever caught a wiff of octanol?

Matt
Old 04-01-07, 04:55 PM   #698
DanDare

The name 'Tank' given to the armoured military vehicle was derived from the British during the First World War. To deter spies in England the parts to build it where listed as being for giant water tanks on the paperwork. Later the parts were assembled in secret and called........a Tank.

Boring I know, but its the best I got!
Old 07-01-07, 07:21 PM   #699
hovis

Canada exports more cabbage to the USA than the rest of the world combined.
Old 07-01-07, 07:45 PM   #700
The Basket

Life Expectancy in medieval England was about 30 years old!

The Black Death (1340's)was supposed to have killed a third of the British Isles population.

The 21st Century don't seem so bad now.