SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-01-07, 10:01 AM   #711
Dave The Rave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero
Oh, todays Fact Of The Day: Water can be used as a fuel, apparently. I dont know how. But it can.

Um

Not.
In theory, it's steam pressure, so why not? How efficient it would be to run the system from a battery, and charge the battery by the same system (ala a modern petrol engine) I'm not sure.

But looky here
Hmmm ... steam pressure? I would imagine IMO that it refers to the fact that water is combination of oxygen and hydrogen. Break those 2 and you have some really "explosive stuff".
Old 26-01-07, 10:12 AM   #712
rpwoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave The Rave
Hmmm ... steam pressure? I would imagine IMO that it refers to the fact that water is combination of oxygen and hydrogen. Break those 2 and you have some really "explosive stuff".
Adding water to burning aluminium is a great example of this. Hence the use of foam at airports.
Old 26-01-07, 05:05 PM   #713
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave The Rave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero
Oh, todays Fact Of The Day: Water can be used as a fuel, apparently. I dont know how. But it can.

Um

Not.
In theory, it's steam pressure, so why not? How efficient it would be to run the system from a battery, and charge the battery by the same system (ala a modern petrol engine) I'm not sure.

But looky here
I was refering to using water as a combustable fuel. Yea, it can be broken down into is constituent elements, but that takes as much energy as you get out of buring hydrogen on oxygen (so no net gain or loss in energy. Well, maybe loss, since tehre are entropic effects when burning stuff...)

Matt
Old 27-01-07, 12:11 AM   #714
Ed

Daughter has a LCD clock that you put water in to get it going.
Old 27-01-07, 07:53 AM   #715
philipMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed
Daughter has a LCD clock that you put water in to get it going.
I would imagine the water is acting first as a solvent, and then a conductor to complete the circuit and run the watch, being driven by a normal cell.

I actually do (more or less) believe that there has been a pretty huge conspiracy to purposefully not develop any other type of engine than petrol / diesel burning ones by the major motor car manufacturers. That potentially usable electric cars were knocked on the head at birth.

But... I am a but gullible that way.

Seriously though. Something odd was / is going on. Nothing has advanced as slowly and poorly as the internal combustion engine in the US. Look at NYC taxi's (Fords), they get 11 - 12 mpg. That is staggeringly bad. That takes effort. Hummers are about as efficient.
Something is up.
Old 28-01-07, 11:54 PM   #716
hovis

nobody visited the megathread from 4.39 sunday morning untill 10 o'clock sunday night
Old 29-01-07, 09:22 PM   #717
Stingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovi5
nobody visited the megathread from 4.39 sunday morning untill 10 o'clock sunday night

O...M...G!
Old 30-01-07, 07:43 PM   #718
Alpinestarhero

It coincided with hell freezing over (temporarily) and the stars aligning in the sky.

Matt
Old 31-01-07, 11:19 AM   #719
BernardBikerchick

you only breath through one nostril at a time ever
Old 31-01-07, 11:22 AM   #720
injury_ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardBikerchick
you only breath through one nostril at a time ever
holding 2 strips of tissue below me nose (one under each nostril) i can declare that to be false.