SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-06-10, 07:25 PM   #781
xXBADGERXx

Default Re: The MTB thread

Back in the saddle tomorrow then . On a side note my Datatag kit arrived today for the bike , quite comprehensive kit with the stenciling , will get on with the actual act of installing the transponder tomorrow and adding the warning stickers .
Old 26-06-10, 07:28 PM   #782
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiff Wichard View Post
hi bikers.

quick question..

do any of you use any gels or creams to prevent chaffing ?? and if so what do u reccomend
I use Udderly smooth chamios cream pre ride. You can work it into the chamios on your cycling shorts, rather than getting Mand to rub it in where it hurts

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/Sh...Chamois_Cream/

Its good because its not greasy or sticky, unlike some of the others.

If you're sore after the ride Quiff, then nothing better than Sudocream. Contains a mild anastetic, and calms any inflamation. Get it in the baby section at the supermarket
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-10, 09:47 PM   #783
xXBADGERXx

Well I had to make 2 extra purchases this week . The front mech on the bike is the wrong sort for the frame , It is sat very low and the cable has just touched the anodising and worn through it . So I have ordered an XT front Mech in the right configuration from Merlin Cycles , down from £49 to £25 . I also popped onto Stif Bikes website and saw a pair of Swobo liner shorts down from £44 to £23 . Must admit they are a damn good fit and the Chamois is actually in the right place and not intrusive in size either . It means I can wear them under shorts without looking like I have shat into a nappy . Merlin`s delivery is a bit slow to be honest , expected better .
Old 09-07-10, 11:28 AM   #784
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Tis a sad day when... Jayneflakes thinks about selling her Mountain Bike.

Giant XtC Team Edition Frame in full race colours. Super light weight Aluminium Alloy construction, purchased in 2004 for £450. (Purchased before womens corrected geometry really came in, so is technically a blokes frame)

Marzocchi Bomber Flylight 100mm travel forks (Air spring oil damped) bought new in 2000 for £250 (Dealer serviced)

Woodman Triple bearing headset cost more than a double bearing Chris King.

Hope C2 Disk brakes front and Rear recently serviced and bled.

XT deraileurs front and rear worked by Old School Deore Thumb Shifters.

Tioga (Branded Bike Hut) Carbon Handle Bar and Syncros Titanium Seat Pin.

Hand build Light weight XC wheels with Mavic rims, triple butted spokes, Hope and Shimano Hubs.

Complete Hyperbolt, bolt lightening kit in Red Anodised Aluminium.

The bike cost me about £2k in total.

I know that I would never recover the money that I spent on it, but I have had a few good days out on her, riding on Dartmoor and even a little around here. But those days are over, I stopped riding properly in 2006 when I was admitted to hospital and then had a long difficult recovery that is still not complete.

I took it out yesterday and rode less than five miles and it really hurt me, not just because I am no where near as fit as I used to be, but because it aggravated the old wounds from hospital. The ride down one of my favourite rocky tracks was uninspiring because I could not get into it and although I hit thirty MPH, it gave me less of a thrill than riding my SV at 10MPH.

In theory, I still love Mountain Biking, in practice, I have lost interest.

While out riding yesterday I rode passed a Honda CX500 that was parked up near our flat. I stopped and admired it for about ten minutes before realising that it was a CX500! When I would rather ride a crappy CX500 than my mountain bike, it is time to give up...

So, I think that she is for sale.

I want as close to £800 as I can get so that I can finish the bar conversion in my SV and get some other bits that I want (such as a bloody comfortable seat!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 11:38 AM   #785
xXBADGERXx

How about splitting it all up and eBaying it bit by bit
Old 10-07-10, 07:49 AM   #786
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXBADGERXx View Post
How about splitting it all up and eBaying it bit by bit
I don't think that I would recover what I need to finish the SV, if I split the bike up and I am bound to be left with bits at the end.

So it is for sale as a complete bike. I use Time Pedals and will probably keep them, but everything else is going.

I am asking £800, but realistically know that I will have to negotiate. I should also add, that despite my time spent working for Halfords Bike Hut, I never did allow any of the monkeys employed as mechanics to work on her, so she is completely safe to ride! She has been a lovely bike, it is just a shame that riding her hurts me these days.

If I cannot generate any interest locally, I will probably stick her up on E-Bay in the next week or so. I have never sold anything on there, so it will be learning experience.

How much is it likely to cost to have a bike box delivered to some one? I am guessing about forty quid?
Quote:

Old 10-07-10, 08:32 AM   #787
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Howdy all you MTB buffs.

Wondering if you can help, I'm not really sure where to start..........

Here it is, I want to get a mountain bike.....budget is up to but no more than say £500. I would prefer something with lock out forks and wheels that I can put slicks on.

Before anyone suggests, I don't want a hybrid or a road bike. I want something I can commute on, but more importantly, have lots of fun off road. Plus, the roads around here are really bad for potholes, so road bike wouldn't work. I am happy changing tyres etc. So wondered what you guys and gals might suggest.

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-10, 09:35 AM   #788
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Carey View Post
Here it is, I want to get a mountain bike.....budget is up to but no more than say £500. I would prefer something with lock out forks and wheels that I can put slicks on.
Quite a few examples of bikes at that price range that have lock out forks, however these forks are usually Suntour SR and although OK, they do not have the pedigree of Rockshox, Fox or Marzocchi. DOn't forget though to allow money for Helmet, shorts and gloves, they will save you a lot of pain.

Have a look at the GT Agressor and Carrera Fury, they are in your price range and can be found in your local friendly Halfords. Just be careful with having them built and serviced by the Monkeys there.

Other bikes worth a look are Specialized, Kona and Dawes, if you can find them. Avoid Apollo, Marlin (who try to steal Marin's name) and anything from Falcon. They are sh1te!

If you are interested in a pedigree Race bike for silly money, give me a shout about mine, however it is probably a bit too purposeful for your needs despite having a pair of slicks and a pair of Mud pluggers.
Quote:

Old 10-07-10, 09:49 AM   #789
xXBADGERXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Carey View Post
Howdy all you MTB buffs.

Wondering if you can help, I'm not really sure where to start..........

Here it is, I want to get a mountain bike.....budget is up to but no more than say £500.
If you can sneak an extra £50 into that budget there is this .

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...query=hardrock

Forks are better than most around this price range , the problem with your price range is that you get a very good bike with competent kit on it apart from the forks . The handy thing is that if you feel you need better forks at a later date then you can pick some up on eBay and swap them over in less than 10 minutes .
Old 10-07-10, 10:02 AM   #790
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Cheers all.....

Taking Badgers advice, was thinking this,

http://brothertoncycles.com/catalog/...roducts_id=210

Use the left over to buy shorts, helmet etc.

Then like you say, once needed, just buy forks in the future. Ignoring the forks, is that an ok setup for a beginner?

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote