SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Pennine Massive For those readers based up north.

Old 17-08-10, 05:53 AM   #71
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Default Re: A PM bid for AR11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervox View Post
It connects the A595 at Waberthwaite with the A595 just north of Hallthwaites.

Just go to GoogleMaps and look up Fell Rd, Millom, Cumbria

Ha, that road is 1 mile from my mum & dads place (The Green)
Know every inch of that sheep track including and gravely bits & slippy sheep muck sections
:0)
Old 17-08-10, 06:32 AM   #72
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
Ha, that road is 1 mile from my mum & dads place (The Green)
Know every inch of that sheep track including and gravely bits & slippy sheep muck sections
:0)
Is that the one with the little bridge in the middle ? seem to remember patchy tarmac and crumbling edges as well, although I could be thinking of a different road

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-10, 08:07 AM   #73
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Sarj, I've had a look at the H.O.G rally they had at Kirby Lonsdale, as expected they used all their own facilities for catering, food, entertainment etc. By the looks the only things that the Rugby CLub could provide was the field, bar and toilets 'when' its was open.

So to me for what we need in an AR I don't think this site is an option.
For now, its full steam ahead with my chosen site until anything comes up better, or this one doesn't come up trumps tomorrow, which I doubt it'll disappoint!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 17-08-10 at 08:08 AM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-10, 08:50 AM   #74
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
I have also now got Smudgepants entertainment services on board, and we are looking at sewing in entertainment in the evenings,
I'm not convinced about that, we don't want a rally like all the bottomless chaps brigade have, it's a social event, the entertainment is each other.
IMHO.
Old 17-08-10, 09:12 AM   #75
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I'm not convinced about that, we don't want a rally like all the bottomless chaps brigade have, it's a social event, the entertainment is each other.
IMHO.
Neither do I Chris. 'Looking into' is different to going ahead.
Putting on any event, needs careful co-ordination, thought, and care taken.
You have to think about an awful lot of factors, not just about a field and a route. Its just not that simple.
I won't turn down any offers to help with something different to make a good weekend, just because one person thinks its going to be like a Hardly Driveable event, neither will I go out of my way to put that idea forward because I absolutely blindly love the idea.

I am looking at all options in a completely nuetral way. I'm looking at a potential 100 + guests that need pleasing. Not far different than pleaasing 160 + employees then!

Old 17-08-10, 11:17 AM   #76
El Saxo

Dizz,

IMO the campsite we used in 07 is looking more and more like the ideal site, and I always fancied going back there providing a) it's dry this time and b) I don't get so bladdered on the friday night that I can't do the rideout!

I remember being very impressed with the campsite itself and if the facilities have improved then so much the better!

I remember from doing a recce of the site in '07 that there is a nice B&B in nearby Austwick - only about 10 mins walk from the site itself IIRC and there is the YHA nearby in Ingleton that someone mentioned. There's plenty of space for dogs too if people are planning on bringing them again.

I'll put my name forward to help organising, I'd be happy to go & recce the site / area again to find out more (and make sure there's no pie-eating barmaids still working there that might embarrass anyone! ).

Also seeing as I've done a fair amount of mileage on the roads around Settle & beyond I'll volunteer for TEC if it goes ahead and can help sorting out the route (I would volunteer to lead but I hate people riding behind me when I'm out on my own, never mind 100+ bikes watching my every move! )

Last edited by El Saxo; 17-08-10 at 11:20 AM.
Old 17-08-10, 11:27 AM   #77
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Saxo View Post
Dizz,

IMO the campsite we used in 07 is looking more and more like the ideal site, and I always fancied going back there providing a) it's dry this time and b) I don't get so bladdered on the friday night that I can't do the rideout!

I remember being very impressed with the campsite itself and if the facilities have improved then so much the better!

I remember from doing a recce of the site in '07 that there is a nice B&B in nearby Austwick - only about 10 mins walk from the site itself IIRC and there is the YHA nearby in Ingleton that someone mentioned. There's plenty of space for dogs too if people are planning on bringing them again.

I'll put my name forward to help organising, I'd be happy to go & recce the site / area again to find out more (and make sure there's no pie-eating barmaids still working there that might embarrass anyone! ).

Also seeing as I've done a fair amount of mileage on the roads around Settle & beyond I'll volunteer for TEC if it goes ahead and can help sorting out the route (I would volunteer to lead but I hate people riding behind me when I'm out on my own, never mind 100+ bikes watching my every move! )

THANKYOUUUUUUUUU for your support
I see from your avatar that you may well be perfect for TEC
Obviously, and I repeat again, the routes are not important at this stage, but if we are lucky enough to get the AR here in Yorkshire, I will then call in everyone who has volunteered for route recce's, and go from there. There are rather a lot of you that really want to get involved and I thoroughly appreciate the response. I had a feeling of dread when I posted the OP up that nobody would come forward, and I have to say I'm rather impressed that we can actually come together to get this going

Quote:

I would volunteer to lead but I hate people riding behind me when I'm out on my own, never mind 100+ bikes watching my every move!
ooo I dunnooo they might like the look of yer ass!!

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 17-08-10 at 11:28 AM.
Old 17-08-10, 12:17 PM   #78
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Chill Winston!
Yes, I stopped smoking 7 or 8 months ago

Simply my honest opinion
Old 17-08-10, 12:32 PM   #79
missyburd

Are you thinking of using the same field used for AR07 Dizz?
Old 17-08-10, 12:34 PM   #80
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyorkie_chris View Post
Are you thinking of using the same field used for AR07 Dizz?

Yep, this picture is in the first one or two pages of this thread. Soley dedicated to us. Perfectly flat and well drained with enough room for over 100 tents.