SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-08-10, 11:28 AM   #71
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Your thoughts for AR11

Peak District...er, no. Too many 30 and 40 limits, high police presence, and just no fun any more.

Lake District...would be sheer hell during the school holiday peroid.

My choice would be further north, or the far south.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-10, 11:40 AM   #72
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervox View Post
Who says that each year we have to have a different venue? It would seem to me that we (The Org) should now have enough contacts with 'good' venues to make the organisation much easier & more simple - it doesn't have to be the same people each time they could easily hand the 'info packs' over to others & I'm sure that routes could be tweaked to provide some variety.
Cracking idea, but it only seems fair that we try have an AR in most parts of the UK before repeating the rota. And it would be great if people who've missed out on previous AR's get to attend one in the same location at some point. Not forgetting those that can't travel too far and therefore have a chance at an AR closer to them.

The Lakes, Northumberland, Upper Cumbria, all places which would be great locations (in fact we've had a Lakes AR already but I hear shelter and such left a little bit to be desired...). Plus, with the knowledge that past and potential organisers have gained from knowing what people expect, what works and what doesn't makes every future AR set up for being even better than the last
Old 14-08-10, 11:57 AM   #73
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntygiggles View Post
Going on where I've been...

AR08 venue - capable of fitting a fair few more tents in and the roads are fab (I wasn't on the ride, but they are some of my fav roads outside Wales to ride now).

AR09 venue - capable of fitting a fair few more tents, don't know the roads but didn't hear any complaints.

AR10 venue - able to fit up to 500 tents/1000 people so no worries there and the roads, well.....this years was just one of MANY routes that can be done from there into Wales OR the Midlands.

I personally would LOVE to see a rideout in Yorkshire as Drew said because I love it up there and there are some incredible passes with amazing scenery. I would like a rideout in the lakes/peakes but I feel the roads may be a challenge with 100+ bikes

AR07 was int Yorkshire Dales. The campsite was just over the road from the village of Austwick, on the A65. To me the campsite from what I remember was a really good flat field, they allowed a big BBQ, had a bar on site( on the Friday at least) IIRC there were other groups that had booked into the dorms, showers were ok, toilets facilities etc, but there wasn't any sort of hotel type thing onsite, but there were B&Bs in Austwick as Melody stayed in one

Everyone remembers Mel and her baps eh peeps

Unfortunately AR07 was plagued by the floods of that year, and the highlight was watching the worst rainclouds in history roll over the hills all night, it was abismal, and the rideout got it too. The rideout itself wasn't that inspiring, as IIRC the Soho collective had to come and recce a route as nobody in the area was willing to organise the event. Settle is only down the road for off license runs, and there were a few chippies, and other type foody places there. AND a big Little Chef in the opposite direction for brekkie and ride start.
I pass the place on the way to the GM, Lakes, or out on a bimble, and it does still exist, as its a hillwalkers /outdoor thingy.
It would be nice to see a return to that venue(with a burger van), as I think its what set the ball rolling facility wise...although nothing in comparison to the last couple of ARs.

http://www.dalesbridge.co.uk/

It could possibly be a good suggestion if the AR was to rotate to previous places. BUT it wouldn't be me organising it, too many babies, houses to sell and kids for that this year!
If someone that knows the area would step forward, I think it might be well worth a revisit.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 14-08-10 at 12:03 PM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-10, 12:13 PM   #74
Ed

Northumberland would be great but I echo Fenjer's concerns.

Peak District - 50s and dry stone walls and endless boring villages.

Could do here again (same site as AR06), different route through Wales. Has the facilities we need, and can lay on more.
Old 14-08-10, 12:58 PM   #75
Messie
The Teacer
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyLady View Post
Yes....Essex
Hello stranger!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervox View Post
That's what a number of people said about AR09 & why I believe some people didn't bother coming - and what a boring ride that turned out to be, didn't it ?!! LOL

Whilst not directly concermed with AR11 (sorry !!) I've had an idea that I'd like 'to put out there' for others comments -

The last 2 ARs have both been excellent - yes I'll admit I'm biased about AR09 but why not, I'm proud of what Sally achieved with my little contribution being the rideout - and from what I understand there have been some other outstanding ones in recent years as well; so, why not re-visit these on a rota basis moving around the country as we do so ?
You did plenty of hard work on sorting out that great route!

Who says that each year we have to have a different venue? It would seem to me that we (The Org) should now have enough contacts with 'good' venues to make the organisation much easier & more simple - it doesn't have to be the same people each time they could easily hand the 'info packs' over to others & I'm sure that routes could be tweaked to provide some variety.
[QUOTE=Supervox;2343726]Regarding the stress, etc of organising an AR - I wouldn't know, I just did the rideoute ie the easy bit !!

However, if we were to use previous venues I believe that there would be a lot less stress & hassle involved as one of the biggest 'problems' would be sorted - that of finding a suitable venue that we know will be ok.

Put it this way, if the AR ever comes back to Essex and Sally wants a break I'd be happy to take it on !![/QUOTE]
Haha I'll hold you to this.!

I think the idea of rotating a known number of places and venues is quite a good idea, although perhaps we need one or two more before we start again.

A few places have been mentioned more than once now, with their relative pro's and cons outlined.

Big question now is whether anyone from these areas is willing to have a go at putting together a plan, with venue and route ideas. Clearly there's no big rush for this but to get an idea now could be useful. We would need to know for early next year and the winter may not be a good time for checking out routes; also good venues may get booked up early and we may need to have lengthy discussions about dates.
Messie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-10, 02:46 PM   #76
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

To me the AR was a time for those who wanna give something back to the forum and community. For them to show the rest of us how nice their little part of the UK is.

However that all involves a lot of time and effort from those who are willing and have the desire to do this. Years past there have been some very keen people, very keen to show off their area and what it has to offer.

if we dont have that though, i cant see any reason why we cant revisit an area again. After all it was good enough before so it can only be better the next time.

Sadly being a londoner i cant be an AR organiser since there is no way of having a London AR unless a few laps of the M25 followed by camping in hyde park till the cops move in and nick us all for terror related offences sounds like fun to you?
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-10, 03:04 PM   #77
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
To me the AR was a time for those who wanna give something back to the forum and community. For them to show the rest of us how nice their little part of the UK is.

However that all involves a lot of time and effort from those who are willing and have the desire to do this. Years past there have been some very keen people, very keen to show off their area and what it has to offer.

if we dont have that though, i cant see any reason why we cant revisit an area again. After all it was good enough before so it can only be better the next time.

Sadly being a londoner I cant be an AR organiser since there is no way of having a London AR unless a few laps of the M25 followed by camping in hyde park till the cops move in and nick us all for terror related offences sounds like fun to you?
I don't see why a Soho Massive AR isn't possible - ok camping in Soho Square might be bit of a problem - but there must be campsites on the outskirts of London & there are plenty of nice roads around the Home Counties
Old 14-08-10, 03:22 PM   #78
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

true enough mate but once we take the home counties into the mix we're into other regions like SelKent and that deaded Essex mob too which them means its not a true Soho Massive AR.
Lots of us (as you well know) have been involved behind the scenes in other AR organisations, routes etc and i think we're all happy to help that way but we'll never have a true London AR.

Tho the idea of 100 odd Orgers on frith street tickles me deeply
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P

Last edited by Spiderman; 14-08-10 at 03:24 PM.
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-10, 03:23 PM   #79
gettin2dizzy

AR at Thorpe park
Old 14-08-10, 03:24 PM   #80
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
true enough mate but once we take the home counties into the mix we're into other regions like SelKent and that deaded Essex mob too which them means its not a true Soho Massive AR.
Lots of us (as you well know) have been involved behind the scenes in other AR organisations, routes etc and i think we're all happy to help that way but we'll never have a true London AR.

Tjo the idea of 100 odd Orgers on frith street tickles me deeply
That would be an excellent Friday Night activity before the main event !!