SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-01-14, 11:20 AM   #71
Spank86

Default Re: Police cause SV650 to crash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideboy View Post
If you can say then that he should have been going slower you can then say the poliman shouldn't have jumped out into the road.... and we're back to the previous page again.
It doesn't matter what the policeman did because he hit the bike in front not the policeman.

The reason the bike in front stopped is largely irrelevant.

If we were out riding and I stopped for a dear/child/rabbit/fallen branch/sex with a sheep, and you went into the back of me it would be exactly the same.

If however I hit whatever I was trying to stop for it may not be.

I'm not saying he definitely should have been going slower but if not slower then he should have maintained a larger gap between him and the bike in front. Depends on visibility.
Old 07-01-14, 11:26 AM   #72
Fordward

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
a sheep stepping out is far more likely than a copper with a hi viz jacket on, a sheep would be way harder to see in the fog too

If I had collided with that sheep it would've been totally my fault, not the sheeps.
But the sheep example can't be used to exonerate the copper of any blame, it can only be used to show fault on part of the rider (not that I'm suggesting you are trying to). A pedestrian is supposed to give way. A copper asking you to stop is supposed to give you reasonable (not 'only just possible') time in which to do it.

"Blame" in the sheep situation also depends on the circumstances. Remember when you were riding behind me in the Cotswolds and a pheasant flew out of the hedge 20 feet in front of me at 60mph? I ducked and just missed it, but didn't even have time to touch the brakes. Had it been a sheep running out of a hole in the hedge I'd have hit it. You can only be expected to allow stopping distance for hazards you can see.
Old 07-01-14, 11:40 AM   #73
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Ok lets try this again. Watch the on board footage on the video. Arguably the bikes are traveling at roughly the same speed (you have to asume the kwak is). Vfr stops, sv doesn't and kwaker does. So where is speed the issue?

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 11:45 AM   #74
ClunkintheUK

Cos the SV rider is not as good/experienced as the VFR and Kwak. His speed is excessive for him.
Old 07-01-14, 11:47 AM   #75
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordward View Post
But the sheep example can't be used to exonerate the copper of any blame, it can only be used to show fault on part of the rider (not that I'm suggesting you are trying to). A pedestrian is supposed to give way. A copper asking you to stop is supposed to give you reasonable (not 'only just possible') time in which to do it.

"Blame" in the sheep situation also depends on the circumstances. Remember when you were riding behind me in the Cotswolds and a pheasant flew out of the hedge 20 feet in front of me at 60mph? I ducked and just missed it, but didn't even have time to touch the brakes. Had it been a sheep running out of a hole in the hedge I'd have hit it. You can only be expected to allow stopping distance for hazards you can see.

Very true but if you ride to be able to react to hazards then you have more chance, if that day it was foggy and you'd been doing 90, would you have avoided it?
Old 07-01-14, 11:49 AM   #76
Specialone

Quote:
Ok lets try this again. Watch the on board footage on the video. Arguably the bikes are traveling at roughly the same speed (you have to asume the kwak is). Vfr stops, sv doesn't and kwaker does. So where is speed the issue?
The issue was the rider was riding at excessive speed for his ability and stopping distance, had he changed those parameters, ie, been riding at say 80, and /or increased his following distance, the situation wouldn't have occurred.
Old 07-01-14, 11:59 AM   #77
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Says who? Who's to say the other two hadn't passed their test that day? You don't know these people and the only information going is what has been written in the comments boxes. The sv rider wasn't concentrating, you can see the vfr braking before the sv, in both front and back on boards. Unless you know for fact that this person was a newb then that's not excessive speed. Not paying attention and whop. Just like most rear end accidents.

It's all based on opinions.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis

Last edited by Wideboy; 07-01-14 at 12:00 PM.
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 12:02 PM   #78
NTECUK
Mega Poster

You need to look at the YouTube Video "Stuarts Grand Day Out".
theirs better video on there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxiK...e_gdata_player

Last edited by NTECUK; 07-01-14 at 12:10 PM.
NTECUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 12:14 PM   #79
Spank86

Quote:
different bikes.
Different riders.

You're supposed to ride to your bike and your skills not the bike and skills of the guy behind or in front of you.

I'd crash an Austin allegro if I tried to keep up with a Ferrari.

Quote:
Says who? Who's to say the other two hadn't passed their test that day?
It doesn't matter.

They both stopped fairly handily showing their assessment of their abilities was fine.

The SV didn't and if he wasn't paying attention then that just shows he should have been further away or slower to compensate for that.

Last edited by Spank86; 07-01-14 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-01-14, 12:18 PM   #80
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
different bikes.

The SV didn't and if he wasn't paying attention .
I think the SV rider was saying "Im ready for my close up"