SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-08-09, 10:08 PM   #71
-Ralph-

Default Re: Bikers riding like tits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Perhaps very remote areas of Wales and Scotland this may apply also, the dead flat straight open section across Glencoe is just as safe as the motorway when there are no tourists about.
It's just occurred to me that where Baph live's as opposed to where I live may account for some of the difference in opinion.
Old 20-08-09, 10:33 PM   #72
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
I have ridden around bassets pole a far bit and there is plenty of place to do silly speed if that what floats your boat
The A38 is motorway spec dual carriageway, so probably quite safe to do 140, the trouble with the two way A roads, for instance the one that goes past the Belfry, is not the amount of space to do the speed, it's the density of population. Just like they say in a city your never further than 10 feet from a rat, on that road you are never that far from somebody else who could cross your path, and at 140 you just can't do anything about it and if you hit them there's a good chance you'll kill them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
In advance, I genuinely hope my riding at the Peak District rideout won't offend you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
I would say that if you are exceeding twice the speed limit, your definitely being a tit. If you see 120 on the speedo, in a 60 limit IMO it's past time to be having have a wee word with yourself about calming it down.
Your riding defo won't offend me, nobody's managed that on an SV rideout so far! I might think your a tit if you turn up on a gsxr thou and use it to its potential, but an SV650 usually stays well within my definition of a tit (unless you're doing 65 in a 30 limit!) The SV only does 130 and I'm not going to judge somebody who draws the line there instead of at 120, and I guess you'd see that speed once or twice for a few seconds in an entire days riding, and at the same time as most of the rest of the group. That doesn't make it sensible, but I'm not going to judge somebody for it 'cos that would make me a right hippocrite

Like I said, somebody who turned up on a dead powerful bike and did 140 all day, on a sections of road where the rest of the group found 90 quite quick enough, I'd probably not speak to very much, but I've had my silly moments both riding with and leading rideouts, just the same as everyone else.

EDIT: I've just realised that we've ridden together before at the Willingham Woods rideout. That rideout was getting a bit quick for my comfort TBH, quicker than any SV Ecosse rideout, but it didn't bother me, I just waved everyone through and sat in front of Pete and Lissa. Everyone was pretty safe from what I saw, 30 in 30's, slowing it right down for dangerous junctions, etc.

I don't think there are many "tits" on this forum, (ie: folk who ride very powerful bikes just for thrills at sustained very excessive speeds) we'll leave them all at visordown

Last edited by -Ralph-; 20-08-09 at 10:54 PM.
Old 21-08-09, 07:29 AM   #73
petevtwin650

Without reading all the posts my comments are.

Regional differences do make a difference to your appreciation, or otherwise, of other riders style.

Nearly all of us at sometime have done things which others may regard as foolish, illegal or downright suicidal.