SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Pennine Massive For those readers based up north.

Old 27-02-12, 08:02 PM   #71
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Default Re: Dalby forest red route again? Abandon hope all ye who are fat..

Yep - you're on the tandem - with me!
Only kidding
Old 28-02-12, 10:03 AM   #72
Owenski

Im now on the hunt for a bike, budget isnt great.
£400 plus £200 for service/upgrades
or the right bike for £600.
Old 28-02-12, 10:30 AM   #73
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC View Post
Count me in - anything been decided yet?
There's a poll thread floating around in the pennine massive section somewhere, but it's progressively looking like the majority of my weekends are getting booked up with 1: work 1: helping my old man with his new house 1:doing a fooking carboot and then the other I think is easter weekend so could be tricky..

Might end up being in Summer or just an impromptu ride on my own if I'm not careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenski View Post
Well matt you know how much I love my specialized hardrock sport, looks great, the cable discs are good for cable discs (although I'm looking to buy some shimano deore m596's after reading about them in WhatMountain Bike last night - £93 and came out top in their test of £60-£330 hydro disc brakes) and the only real weak point in the whole setup is the forks which are SR Suntour shiiite forks. Pretty adequate for me and my riding atm, but will definitely make the bike a million times better when I upgrade them.

The rest of it is good kit, good frame, nice wheels, quick release, average weight.. Lots of them on eBay for not much money

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-12, 01:31 PM   #74
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Hi Paul - I have refrained from chosing dates as I have no idea on which ones will be free for me - so once the masses / locals have decided will see if can make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenski View Post
Just to give food for thought - you could look at building a hardtail.......at the moment I am looking at a similar budget for Lily's bike....posted here with where I am currently;

http://forums.sv650.org/showpost.php...postcount=1483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the 6th View Post
and the only real weak point in the whole setup is the forks which are SR Suntour shiiite forks. Pretty adequate for me and my riding atm, but will definitely make the bike a million times better when I upgrade them.
Paul, if it were me and the brakes are working ok (you seem happy with them) - then instead of upgrading brakes.....can I suggest this if you wanted a decent upgrade at a low cost;

Cracking deal of RS Recon Silver forks for £109.99

Just an idea.

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"

Last edited by Drew Carey; 28-02-12 at 01:34 PM.
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-12, 01:36 PM   #75
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

FFS Drew.. I had my eye on the shimano deore m596 brake setup which would come to £100 all in (and easy to swap over by the looks of it) http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...0deore#reviews

but then you've thrown those forks into the mix I have to choose.. Bastid How come they're so cheap atm?

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Old 28-02-12, 01:40 PM   #76
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

oh and just for anyone who hasn't seen drews bike - press CTRL and - (minus) to zoom right out and make the pictures viewable.. CTRL + to zoom back in again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Carey View Post
Sooooo, got all the bits today and added everything, really chuffed.

Apologies for the size of piccies.....here's what ive added;

Reverb with Charge Spoon saddle and hope bolt seatclamp.
Hope Pro 2 in red on Stans Flows with Minnion front & High Roller rear.
Pikes fully rebuilt by TFTuned with MoCo added and firm spring.
Sram PG990 In Redwin red with PC991 chain, Hope rear skewer. Nex X7 Mech.
Raceface Ride double and bash, Xpedo pedals and Stinger chain device.
Hussefelt DH bar and stem.

Basically only frame, shock, brakes, headset and shifters are original! Really pleased with it now. Its not light, but never wanted it to be.

Old 28-02-12, 01:44 PM   #77
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the 6th View Post
FFS Drew.. I had my eye on the shimano deore m596 brake setup which would come to £100 all in (and easy to swap over by the looks of it) http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...0deore#reviews

but then you've thrown those forks into the mix I have to choose.. Bastid How come they're so cheap atm?
Because these are 2010 forks that On-One have stock of....simples. The 2012 model is around £160 from some places - ie ignore the RRP. But these are a good entry level fork that will be a substantial improvement on the Suntours......

The one caveat to that - is that the model up from yours has the Specialized Spike valve in the Suntours which is apparently really well rated for an intro damper.

Obviously the Recons are not going to perform as well as Reba's etc - but for an entry level 100mm fork I don't think it can be beaten at that price.

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-12, 06:54 PM   #78
Owenski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Carey View Post

Just to give food for thought - you could look at building a hardtail.......at the moment I am looking at a similar budget for Lily's bike....posted here with where I am currently;

http://forums.sv650.org/showpost.php...postcount=1483

I have a hard tail, its older than the earth but in its day it was a pricey little steed. As opposed to spec'ing that up I really want a full sus XC bike that will be better than the trails I ride.

My beef with the scott's from purple mountain was proberbly more based on the fact the bikes I've come from riding (as per my avatar) are the shiz niz so even though the scott was a capable bike Ive now had my bar set so high Im just going to be frustrated by anything too far below it. I've dabbled on my dads Trek Ex8 and that felt reasonable enough so In my mind I need a full sus to stand a chance of riding without the frustration I had that day at Dalby.
Old 29-02-12, 10:51 AM   #79
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Eyup matt not sure if you've got my text.. the AA guy (from saturday's wilderness expedition) said he was selling his full suspension frame with shock.. Think it was a marin, he's looking for about £300. Have emailed him asking for pics and info so will forward on - could be a good base for your build?

Old 29-02-12, 12:07 PM   #80
Tom_the_great

Paul will you just pick a date and then people will either come or not haha after a while a choice needs to be made.

Black Tinted Screen!, Evotech Tail Tidy!, OEM Rear Hugger!, R&G Crash Bungs!, Delkevic Exhuast!

Current Mileage = 3000 (Ish)
Tom_the_great is offline   Reply With Quote