SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-09-14, 05:29 PM   #71
Specialone

Default Re: Bereaved family releases shocking video

Let's face it, speed aside, he didn't look far enough ahead, or expect the unexpected (kind of)
Old 08-09-14, 05:34 PM   #72
Bibio
Mega Poster

its a bad junction that i suspect people turning right into the line of traffic have to wait a fair amount if there is traffic so the car driver took a chance so not to have to wait.

if there ever was a need for a speed camera then that junction would be it or failing that at least a set of traffic lights or even a roundabout.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 05:48 PM   #73
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

The junction is so rarely used, I think a speed camera would be the only reasonable change in this case....but to be fair there are a LOT of junctions like this off the A47, with no cameras nearby, so the only realistic solution is for motorcyclists to use sensible speeds near junctions

This video has certainly left it's mark on me, especially knowing that bit of road for myself, hopefully it will stick and make me overly cautious near junctions going forwards

Triumph and Suzuki owner

Last edited by kaivalagi; 08-09-14 at 05:50 PM.
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 05:52 PM   #74
SvNewbie

I noticed around the Peak district that a lot of the speed cameras are clearly being used to protect a junction. Like most people I'm not a big fan of cameras but I did think that was an appropriate use.
Old 08-09-14, 05:53 PM   #75
Fordward

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymo View Post
He never knew that was coming until way too late.
He'd been riding for 22 years, I wonder whether he knew the car was there, and knew what danger he was in, but decided to take the risk. Took a gamble on whether the car driver had seen him or not.
Old 08-09-14, 06:00 PM   #76
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix22 View Post
'Target fixation' that's why he hit it. If he had concentration to the right of the car, knowing that was a 'safe' escape route then even at the stupid speed he was going in the situation there is a big chance he would avoided the collision altogether.
And if the car had hit the brakes when only partially across into his lane he would have hit it.
Old 08-09-14, 06:06 PM   #77
SvNewbie

Just remembered this video and had to bring it into the conversation.

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.
Old 08-09-14, 06:25 PM   #78
Phoenix22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
And if the car had hit the brakes when only partially across into his lane he would have hit it.
No he wouldn't, the oncoming traffic was far enough away to be able to make a pass on the wrong side of the road. Not ideal but better than just riding straight into it. After passing the Aygo he continued on the throttle until pretty much at the point of impact which by this time was obviously too late. I don't want to speak ill of the dead but it was bad riding, pure & simple.
Old 08-09-14, 06:27 PM   #79
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Ignoring the fact that he should have slowed down for the junction, there are less than 2 seconds between the car looking as if it is waiting in the turning area, to the car coming across his lane. Who could possibly react, then manoeuvre in that amount of time?
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 06:40 PM   #80
Bibio
Mega Poster

i'll stick my hand up and say given the exact same situation i would be brown bread.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote