SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 25-10-07, 02:38 PM   #821
ASM-Forever

Default Re: The TV Mini Mega thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbut View Post
Tescos (or supermarket of your choice) bags. waterproof and best of all free. Who needs expensiver waterproof boots, pah.
The smart money is on a pair of Alpinestars SMXR.....in white of course.
Old 25-10-07, 02:53 PM   #822
philbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Pimp your Hack? Why spend zero money on a cheap hack and then lots of money on making it good???
cos i like playin about in the garage, plus the mod cost under 100 quid, so the bike has only cost £1000 in all.
Old 25-10-07, 03:37 PM   #823
SDMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM-Forever View Post
The smart money is on a pair of Alpinestars SMXR.....in white of course.
I take it you've never ridden out in much rain wearing your boots?
Old 25-10-07, 03:39 PM   #824
Stig

Quote:
IMO decent textiles are fine. I've crashed in them and they did the job as well as leathers would of. I'm not saying that they are as good, just that i don't think there is as much difference between the two as people make out.

I certainly wouldn't worry!
There two major differences between the two. Textiles do not have the wear ability that leathers do. Not really much to worry about there then. There will always be something lurking around to prevent a painless slide to a halt. The armour in textiles may be just as good as the armour that is fitted in your leathers. BUT the armour is much much looser in textiles and is far more likely to actually be moved completely away from the parts of your body they are meant to protect.

Leathers will always be better than textiles for protecting the rider in the event of an accident. Textiles will always be better than leathers for protecting the rider against the elements. You take your choice and ride with the risk from either the weather or a crash.

On my commute to and from work, I wear textiles every day, regardless of the weather. It allows me to wear my shirt and trousers under them.
Old 25-10-07, 04:02 PM   #825
ASM-Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
I take it you've never ridden out in much rain wearing your boots?
In light rain yes....heavy rain= stay at home.
Old 25-10-07, 04:03 PM   #826
Sosha

Yay.... joined the textile owners club...

Old 25-10-07, 04:06 PM   #827
ASM-Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe View Post
There two major differences between the two. Textiles do not have the wear ability that leathers do. Not really much to worry about there then. There will always be something lurking around to prevent a painless slide to a halt. The armour in textiles may be just as good as the armour that is fitted in your leathers. BUT the armour is much much looser in textiles and is far more likely to actually be moved completely away from the parts of your body they are meant to protect.

Leathers will always be better than textiles for protecting the rider in the event of an accident. Textiles will always be better than leathers for protecting the rider against the elements. You take your choice and ride with the risk from either the weather or a crash.

On my commute to and from work, I wear textiles every day, regardless of the weather. It allows me to wear my shirt and trousers under them.
Meh....i acknowledged that leathers offer more protection, but decent textiles do protect you pretty damn well.

In an ideal world we would all be always nobbing around in one piece leathers, but that just isn't realistic/practical.

I certainly wouldn't wear leathers in cold/wet weather, textiles are a decent alternative.
Old 25-10-07, 04:14 PM   #828
Stig

Quote:
Meh....i acknowledged that leathers offer more protection, but decent textiles do protect you pretty damn well.

In an ideal world we would all be always nobbing around in one piece leathers, but that just isn't realistic/practical.

I certainly wouldn't wear leathers in cold/wet weather, textiles are a decent alternative.
Hey I'm just pointing out the fact there is quite a big difference between leathers and textiles. Decent textiles protect you relatively well. Pretty damn well, is a bit optimistic in my opinion. I too run the gauntlet and wear textiles every day to work. But I have also crashed in textiles, bike slid away and my knee hit the ground. The knee pad, along with the armour in it, just moved round and it was still my knee that hit the floor. The armour would possibly do it's job on direct impact but not any more than that. Anyone that rides around in textiles thinking they are getting the same level of protection as a leather suit are misinformed.
Old 25-10-07, 04:15 PM   #829
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
Yay.... joined the textile owners club...

After seeing you ride off in that monsoon the other night...

about time too.

Word of warning though. NO textiles will ever stay waterproof. As soon as they have seen a winter or two and have a good coating of ground in filth, you'll be surprised how quickly they let water in when they do start to leak.
Old 25-10-07, 04:35 PM   #830
ASM-Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe View Post
Anyone that rides around in textiles thinking they are getting the same level of protection as a leather suit are misinformed.
Does anyone really think that though?

I merely posted as it seemed Steve was reluctant to wear textiles, despite the poor weather, which i thought was silly.

I refer you to my earlier point.....

Meh!