SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 24-11-20, 07:59 PM   #8751
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
they tell you that its a DD but if you read the small print on some its actually a loan so no DD guarantee and if you cancel you are still due 100% + admin fees due to taking a loan. also try cancelling a DD at your bank and see how many hurdles you have to jump.
Any direct debit is covered by the DD Guarantee, regardless if it is a 'credit' payment or not.

Direct Debit Guarantee

The Guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debits
If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit the organisation will notify you (normally 10 working days) in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request the organisation to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request
If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society
If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when the organisation asks you to
You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society. Written confirmation may be required. Please also notify the organisation.

https://www.directdebit.co.uk/Direct...guarantee.aspx

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-20, 09:44 PM   #8752
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
This has been trending on social media
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...droidApp_Other
Not a peep on the BBC news or their website.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Project Fear eh? Don’t recall seeing that on the side of the brexit bus.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-20, 10:03 PM   #8753
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
yup. always use a credit card for paying insurance. if you pay by DD you are actually paying by credit and they will shaft you if you walk or complain.

touch wood i have never really had a problem with insurance.

I paid on my debit card. I was on hold twice to HSBC fraud team today. More wasted time. They have suggested I cancel my current card as there is nothing to stop Quotline Direct from trying to take another payment and it might get through next time.

I asked why it was flagged and they said it is either due to an unusual pattern in my spending or a pattern from flagged companies that have led to fraud cases before. I asked if this time was due to my payment pattern and they said no. I then asked if it's because of a pattern seen before from Quotline Direct. They couldn't answer that but said it was possible. As there's no other possible reason for it to be flagged it has to be a standard pattern that they've seen a lot from them that has led to it being raised with the bank / fraud team. So it seems it's Quoteline Direct's standard way of doing business. Try and take extra money and not get noticed and get more money out of you. Or if they get noticed then charge you more if you want to get out of the policy (£75 admin fees even in the cooling off period!) or they cancel your policy and keep all your money.

How companies can get away with this as legitimate business is crazy.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-20, 10:35 PM   #8754
Grant66

The FCA says the fee must be reasonable and represent the work actually done. £75 would suggest over an hour's worth of "work".
You might find challenging the fee gets it reduced especially if you mention raising the matter with the FCA. Just because it's in their T&C's doesn't make it legal.

Sent from an S20 using Tapatalk with that kin cr4p blocked
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-20, 06:54 AM   #8755
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

But how many people will spend the time challenging it?
Old 25-11-20, 08:14 AM   #8756
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Its not legitimate business, it is fraud. The reason they get away with it is nobody reports it to the authorities, they are just glad when they get their money back from the bank. Have you reported them to Trading Standards? Action Fraud? The police? Has anyone else on this thread who were affected reported it?
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-20, 12:38 PM   #8757
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
I paid on my debit card. I was on hold twice to HSBC fraud team today. More wasted time. They have suggested I cancel my current card as there is nothing to stop Quotline Direct from trying to take another payment and it might get through next time.

I asked why it was flagged and they said it is either due to an unusual pattern in my spending or a pattern from flagged companies that have led to fraud cases before. I asked if this time was due to my payment pattern and they said no. I then asked if it's because of a pattern seen before from Quotline Direct. They couldn't answer that but said it was possible. As there's no other possible reason for it to be flagged it has to be a standard pattern that they've seen a lot from them that has led to it being raised with the bank / fraud team. So it seems it's Quoteline Direct's standard way of doing business. Try and take extra money and not get noticed and get more money out of you. Or if they get noticed then charge you more if you want to get out of the policy (£75 admin fees even in the cooling off period!) or they cancel your policy and keep all your money.

if they try and take money wihthout your permission, or agreement it's fraud. And you can report it to the Police as such

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/re...nd-cyber-crime

HSBC can block that company taking payments from your card, but blocking the card and getting a new one is easier for them.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-20, 01:06 PM   #8758
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Reading between the lines they have something set up to detect a second payment being taken a few weeks after the first from that specific company as it's caused problems for the fraud team in the past, enough to have gone to the trouble to set up fraud alerts against them. I had to state that I felt it was fraud with the HSBC fraud team in order for them to cancel my card. So their fraud team do have it on record (again?) that Quoteline Direct have been reported with them for fraud. How they act on that I'm not sure.
Old 25-11-20, 02:31 PM   #8759
Grant66

Report them to the FCA too. Get the "insert insulting descriptor" driven out of business.

Sent from an S20 using Tapatalk with that kin cr4p blocked
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-20, 02:50 PM   #8760
svenrico

Quote:
they tell you that its a DD but if you read the small print on some its actually a loan so no DD guarantee and if you cancel you are still due 100% + admin fees due to taking a loan. also try cancelling a DD at your bank and see how many hurdles you have to jump.

ALWAYS pay either full amount or by credit card.. NEVER EVER trust brokers (you cant buy insurance direct well you can but there are very very few who underwrite their own insurance). i know for some this is not feasible so you are stuck between a rock etc.etc.
There seems to be several different parties involved in my motorbike insurance-MAG, Adrian Flux, some others I forget ! I must say they did arrange great repairs when I was knocked off my Triumph Bonneville through no fault of mine, although it wasn't quick but I wasn't bothered that much as it was coming up to winter.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote