SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-12-20, 09:19 PM   #8921
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
Exactly. May be worth speaking to the insurance company about what an acceptable rate is and getting your own hire car, and then submitting the invoice for it once returned.
Definitely, pretty annoyed they caught me fairly off guard. They'd forced me to get a taxi home for collection of the car then were an hour late and I've got my boss on my case.
I imagine I've maxed out a month of accceptable hire on one day with this joke.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/10313...0000-hire-car/
Old 19-12-20, 11:18 PM   #8922
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Definitely, pretty annoyed they caught me fairly off guard. They'd forced me to get a taxi home for collection of the car then were an hour late and I've got my boss on my case.
I imagine I've maxed out a month of accceptable hire on one day with this joke.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/10313...0000-hire-car/
What's the point of insurance companies offering a hire car as a replacement if they don't provide it and pay for it !
My current policy says an equivalent vehicle would be provided ,up to a 1200 Ford Fiesta; my car is a 2 litre 1 series BMW !!!
I didn't take the option of a replacement bike even though I was offered one by the repairers, when I had a no fault claim a few years ago. Didn't want the risk of it being damaged.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-20, 05:00 PM   #8923
Ruffy

Well I supose today there must be many griping today about turnabout politicians.

It seems they can't plan anything with any clarity for more than the time it takes for words to fall out of their mouths.

Anyone got any idea what the forecast is for ending the crazy Covid era? I've heard next to nothing about strategy for rollout of vaccine, whether this will release us from tier wars and slavery society (work, eat, sleep, repeat only, don't you dare try to do anything else), what they think the new normal will be etc.

Last edited by Ruffy; 20-12-20 at 05:01 PM. Reason: typo
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-20, 05:28 PM   #8924
Seeker
Mega Poster

The Pfizer vaccine has been approved and the first batch delivered, 40 million doses ordered in total. I have an 89 yr old friend who has received his first injection. My next door neighbour's 81 yr old friend has also received her first dose.

The Moderna vaccine has not been approved in the UK yet (it has in the US), but 7 million doses ordered.

The major difference in the UK will be when the Oxford/Astra Zeneca vaccine is approved - 100 million doses ordered. After essential workers, it will be given by age - older to younger. They are hoping to get AZ approval by end of December.

I found a calculator which predicted when you would get the jab - It predicted between 27 Feb to 14 March for me. https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-uk
Old 20-12-20, 05:29 PM   #8925
Bibio
Mega Poster

things will never be back to normal. covid is here to stay just like the flu.

also if covid does disappear can you honestly see the politicians removing the laws which they passed associated with it... ermm no.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-20, 06:00 PM   #8926
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
things will never be back to normal. covid is here to stay just like the flu.

also if covid does disappear can you honestly see the politicians removing the laws which they passed associated with it... ermm no.
I agree but that's sort of my query: What will be the new 'normal' future state and when might we get there? Where's the official presentation and debate about that? Everyone's still left guessing. At the minute I'm not even sure anyone knows what the rules will be in three weeks' time! That's no way to run a country/company/family/life*. (*delete as applicable)

IIRC, we were told earlier this year that a vaccine is what was required. Well, now we have them (allegedly). So what's the problem with mapping out a strategy?

I'm certainly not going to be spending the rest of my life in a bubble, with a mask on and not touching anyone because we've been told to be afraid of dying. Next summer, I want to ride my bike to somewhere I can meet friends and get a brew/cake or maybe a stronger drink. I'm happy to ditch regular commuting to the office but I do want to have some work meetings in person. After work, maybe grab a beer with colleagues occassionally, watch a game or two of rugby at a stadium. Oh, and I'd like my kids to have the chance at getting a job back.

It's a pretty poor situation where revolution or anarchy is looking like the most likely scenario.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-20, 06:16 PM   #8927
Bibio
Mega Poster

politicians/advisers dont have a crystal ball. nobody can predict what will happen. you never know covid might mutate just like the flu does every few months. eventually our bodys will naturally get used to it, just like the flu.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-20, 06:20 PM   #8928
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
I agree but that's sort of my query: What will be the new 'normal' future state and when might we get there? Where's the official presentation and debate about that? Everyone's still left guessing. At the minute I'm not even sure anyone knows what the rules will be in three weeks' time! That's no way to run a country/company/family/life*. (*delete as applicable)

IIRC, we were told earlier this year that a vaccine is what was required. Well, now we have them (allegedly). So what's the problem with mapping out a strategy?

I'm certainly not going to be spending the rest of my life in a bubble, with a mask on and not touching anyone because we've been told to be afraid of dying. Next summer, I want to ride my bike to somewhere I can meet friends and get a brew/cake or maybe a stronger drink. I'm happy to ditch regular commuting to the office but I do want to have some work meetings in person. After work, maybe grab a beer with colleagues occassionally, watch a game or two of rugby at a stadium. Oh, and I'd like my kids to have the chance at getting a job back.

It's a pretty poor situation where revolution or anarchy is looking like the most likely scenario.
I'm in the same boat. The only guarantee in life is death. And i'm not dying sat in my house - no matter what the cause. I'm going to die at some point i may as well enjoy my life up until that happens!
If you're fit and healthy (averagely so) it only has a death rate of 1% . . . Globally currently out of the 75M cases, only 1.6M have died which is 2% as an average globally - which includes all places it hasn't been dealt with properly.
Revolution will happen - they keep moving the goal posts as to what will bring 'normality' back. First it was Social distancing, then masks were added, next it was lockdown, then it was regional lock downs, then it was the vaccine . . . people will soon see there is no end game, no plan moving forward. Only throwing $hit at the wall and see what sticks.
I'm doing what i want (keeping myself and others safe). None of it is law and enforceable unless you are travelling from one tier to another to go to a restaurant, go shopping etc. So many fines issued for Covid breaches of rules were overturned in Court, even the 10K ones issued to venues holding events for more than 20 people . . . .
People will vote with their feet. There's not enough room to lock everyone up and put them all through court. I think they'll be a decider on the leadership of this country next year, whether BoJo is still in, or even the Tories. They've not dealt with this well (not necessarily the pandemic) the complete lack of planning, structure, f'ed up PPE plans going to their chums . . . . Burning through tax payers money like its confetti & then having us pay the bill for their mess.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-20, 06:22 PM   #8929
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
politicians/advisers dont have a crystal ball. nobody can predict what will happen. you never know covid might mutate just like the flu does every few months. eventually our bodys will naturally get used to it, just like the flu.
It is probably happening already. It is a viral infection that the body will learn to adapt to and learn how to deal with it.
How else do the people who test positive for it and stay at home, not needing hospitalisation get better?!

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-20, 06:47 PM   #8930
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post

I found a calculator which predicted when you would get the jab - It predicted between 27 Feb to 14 March for me. https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-uk

September next year for me. Definitely won't be listening to politicians changing their minds every few days and spouting orders up until then!
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote