SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-02-11, 10:42 AM   #81
Dicky Ticker

Default Re: More proof that a full service history...

Specialone,Forgive me if I am wrong in my understanding but your Golf is 2007 and only done 14000miles which is well below the average mileage of a car of that age
making it a low usage vehicle
With normal usage I would expect it to have 40k on the clock and an annual service.
My comments about oil,servicing and vehicle usage came from the chemical analysis of used engine oils, one would presume by highly qualified people, at Shell Laboratories
I am only trying to impart the knowledge gleaned which has stood me in good stead in the transport business covering millions of miles and mixed fleet of vehicles,not influence how somebody decides to operate their service schedules,that is for them to decide.

I personally am a great believer in clean engine oil/filters and tend to service my private cars and bikes before the due service schedule.My car is 12,500 mile intervals but oil and filter every 6-6500 miles between full services and my wife's car which only does 4000 miles max a year annually[[11 year old Polo with 42k]. My bike is 6000 mile intervals but due to the fairly high mileage on it, oil and filter every 3-4000 miles
Lets be honest I am not advocating a full dealer service but £25-30 for an oil and filter change which isn't going to break the bank but give you the reassurance that your engine has clean healthy oil in it . OIL IS THE LIFE BLOOD OF AN ENGINE AFTER ALL
Old 16-02-11, 10:58 AM   #82
Quedos

Well thats the car into the garage the guys are great. took a look at the schedule and told me exactly what they were going to do. which was exactly the same as I hoped they would say - inspection service, brake fluid change, air and fuel filter change. And i'm going back onto longlife service intervals as the mileage warrants it and Des believes that iw run better on long service intevals
so you can change the service intervals but he recommends talking to VAG trained mechanic first.
So far I'm really pleased with the service. happy to answer all questions and actually sit down and talk about it and give me a price before he started - breaking down each section into cost.
All VW branded parts - delivery guy came in at the same time.
I'll let you know when the full results when I get the car back
Old 16-02-11, 03:06 PM   #83
Quedos

Well thats another stamp in the book (well chuffed) £226 pounds lighter
but full inspection service completed, not fault codes registered, everything seems sorted took my round the engine - not had full time to inspect. the only thing i'm a bit miffed is that they washed the car when i asked for them not to - got to re wax the car again!!
I got repair recommendations -
timing belt due to age of car
ABS needs investigation as kicking in at slow speed
Coolant leak from radiator
and nearside rear alloy hub missing

so quite happy with it so far nothing that really needs sorting to much - but will check with ABS under warranty
Old 16-02-11, 03:44 PM   #84
Bri w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quedos View Post
Well thats another stamp in the book (well chuffed) £226 pounds lighter
but full inspection service completed, not fault codes registered, everything seems sorted took my round the engine - not had full time to inspect. the only thing i'm a bit miffed is that they washed the car when i asked for them not to - got to re wax the car again!!
I got repair recommendations -
timing belt due to age of car
ABS needs investigation as kicking in at slow speed
Coolant leak from radiator
and nearside rear alloy hub missing

so quite happy with it so far nothing that really needs sorting to much - but will check with ABS under warranty
Bet they nicked the hub, and rewired the ABS sensor.

Robbers the lot of 'em

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-11, 04:38 PM   #85
Quedos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri w View Post
Bet they nicked the hub, and rewired the ABS sensor.

Robbers the lot of 'em
Cynic - the proper hub is in my handbag as it was rattling and there is a spare in the boot.
The ABS - i reckon is becuase the CV gaitor was replaced before I picked it up hence I didn't notice it at the test drive. so hopefully I'll get the wheel alignment guy to have a look at it for me
Old 16-02-11, 05:44 PM   #86
kwak zzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Ticker View Post
Lets be honest I am not advocating a full dealer service but £25-30 for an oil and filter change which isn't going to break the bank but give you the reassurance that your engine has clean healthy oil in it . OIL IS THE LIFE BLOOD OF AN ENGINE AFTER ALL
25 - 30 quid? mines 3X that lol
Old 17-02-11, 10:38 AM   #87
Dicky Ticker

Buy an expensive car,pay expensive prices
Halfords,Costco even Asda engine oil[proper spec] and filter doing it yourself=cheap
Paying a fitter for an hours labour is what costs
Old 17-02-11, 10:52 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Ticker View Post
Buy an expensive car,pay expensive prices
Halfords,Costco even Asda engine oil[proper spec] and filter doing it yourself=cheap
Paying a fitter for an hours labour is what costs
I have had discussions with people regarding the difference between Shell oil and Partco oil,

Given that the specs on the back of the partco oil meets or exceeds those stated on the shell oil (or other large oil producer) I do not have a problem using it and have done for thousands of miles.

However people will still tell me that I should use over priced shell oil and they wont be convinced any other way...I give up.

btw the gear to service the focus from partco is £55 inc fully sythetic oil, and took me 45 minutes

Oil is the life blood of any engine.
Old 17-02-11, 04:15 PM   #89
thefallenangel

It's a lot easier to deal with an un-greaed door hinge then a knackered spark plug.