SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-01-21, 04:05 PM   #9041
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Completely agree, i think they forget the car is not driving itself but more assisting you in the driving. Not great in Countries like the UK where a lot of road signs are not clearly displayed/visible, White lines are faded/new and old ones side by side etc.

I don't think fully autonomous will catch on for most people, as you will still responsible for the vehicle and anything that should happen. You may as well catch a Taxi for when you want to go out and drinking and not want to drive . . . .

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-21, 03:40 AM   #9042
ethariel

Fully autonomous and not on tracks or a rail system is a decade away at least, as it stands if anyone market's one then the liability for any accident will drop on thier doorstep and will have to prove they were not at fault (pretty much be judged guilty till proven innocent), no company on earth will take that liability.

Now when in the US, the lobbyists get behind having the law changed then it's going to be more of a reality.
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-21, 11:33 AM   #9043
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
The more automation fitted to vehicles ( some newer cars even have semi-auto steering that will try to keep you within white lines ) the less attention 'drivers' pay to surroundings. The Tesla autopilot is a good example, no matter how many times people are told that autopilot is a glorified cruise control numpties still drive hands off watching a video. There should be only two types of car - fully manual control or fully autonomous ( don't hold your breath for the last one, it has all gone awfully quite and a lot of companies have pulled out, Uber pulled out just recently ). The in-between semi-autonomous are never going to be safe as drivers get lazy and distracted.
One of the biggest problems with Tesla is the marketing name. Someone tells you your car has 'auto-pilot' you could be forgiven for thinking it automatically pilots itself like a plane. Most people do not investigate what the technology actually is. They should use the same name for it as everyone else - Adaptive Cruise Control.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-21, 11:47 AM   #9044
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
I've given up looking for a van at the moment and sticking with the mk7 transit for now. I'm hoping once the extended ulez or what ever it is in London later this year will mean more people getting themselves Euro 6 vans will mean more 2nd hand vans on the market.

How big is that bathroom you're doing??? Lol. Yorkshire is a tad too far for me unless of course you want to put me up in a hotel
I really hope so, it's dire at the min.

Not even that big 2.5x3, but I'm only doing it in the evenings and had a few delays getting stuff over christmas (still awaiting stuff now) and had quite a few curveballs like having to remove a chimney in the middle of it, fit window lintels and the floorboards being rotten. Plus while I had the floor up I fitted downlights and an extractor fan for the kitchen downstairs. All new pipe work and all new waste runs, walls battened and boarded. It's been that much of a saga I'm almost enjoying tiling!

All I can offer is a partially tiled bathroom and a sleeping bag (better than most south yorkshire hotels to be honest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
I'd bookmark a few you like and keep an eye on the prices of them. Usually the next price drop would be near March/April with the new reg's, but i don't think that'll happen as a good majority of people's daily Car needs has changed.
If you see anything bargainous that'd be great! I'll be going for something older than new reg price benefit though alas, aforementioned house reno is taking all of my money (and more)

Last edited by Dave20046; 03-01-21 at 11:49 AM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-21, 12:12 AM   #9045
Bibio
Mega Poster

as Dave i'm about to embark a full house reno in the next few months with luck but depends on the extension. i have been in limbo for 2 years and its pizzing me off.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-21, 01:36 AM   #9046
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
I really hope so, it's dire at the min.

Plus while I had the floor up I fitted downlights and an extractor fan for the kitchen downstairs.
Hope you fireproofed any penetrations through the kitchen ceiling !
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-21, 09:30 AM   #9047
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
as Dave i'm about to embark a full house reno in the next few months with luck but depends on the extension. i have been in limbo for 2 years and its pizzing me off.
It's pretty tough, I'm able to do noisy work after work from about 6pm until about 8pm to be fair to neighbours, then measuirng planning and ordering stuff or doing quiet jobs until about 10.30pm/11 and same again the next day. Nothing more frustrating then rushing a cut at 7.59pm and having to wait until the next day to redo. Can you get in during the day Bibio?

Quote:
Hope you fireproofed any penetrations through the kitchen ceiling !
Fair point. I've not gone through the kitchen ceiling yet just out the external wall above ceiling level and run the allu ducting in some over generous existing boxing-in for an RSJ previously installed from above via the bathroom floor. The only hole will be for the cooker hood to cover, which I suppose will be sealed by nature but I'll double check when I'm at that point!
Downlights are firerated.
Old 04-01-21, 06:15 PM   #9048
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Where would you expect someone on eBay named Damien McGee with UK listings to be based?
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-21, 06:26 PM   #9049
ethariel

China?

Or maybe Hertfordshire in retrospect

Last edited by ethariel; 04-01-21 at 06:30 PM.
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-21, 08:10 PM   #9050
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethariel View Post
China?

Correct
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote