SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-06-10, 11:39 PM   #911
Lozzo

Default Re: "33bhp?" Yes "i dont believe you, I'll seize your bike and take you to court"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Seems to me the only solution is to completely ignore any certification and only investigate it further when someone is, I think the correct legal term, is completely taking the p*ss.
It'd be much simpler to abolish all unenforceable and discriminatory laws such as 25Kw restrictions altogether, thereby saving our police forces countless hours of wasted time trying to prove the unprovable, and not getting up the noses of the populace
Old 02-06-10, 05:01 AM   #912
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: "33bhp?" Yes "i dont believe you, I'll seize your bike and take you to court"

I know, then they can waste their time scraping inexperienced riders off the roadside furniture and going round telling their relatives they've just come into a whole load of life insurance cash instead.....
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 06:02 AM   #913
Lozzo

The pre-restriction vs post restriction KSI figures would suggest they'd be no busier when you take larger numbers of riders pre-restriction into account. Just another of those ill thought out by clueless civil servant knee-jerk laws, like the one abolishing legally held handguns after Dunblane and the Methodrone one recently.

Speed is not the big killer and I'm surprised an intelligent man like yourself would believe the government's hype; we all know it's other road users in most cases, so how does restricting the bike's power make any difference?
Old 02-06-10, 06:40 AM   #914
Philbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
The pre-restriction vs post restriction KSI figures would suggest they'd be no busier when you take larger numbers of riders pre-restriction into account. Just another of those ill thought out by clueless civil servant knee-jerk laws, like the one abolishing legally held handguns after Dunblane and the Methodrone one recently.
What planet are you on? Who, in this day and age, needs a hand a gun? They are made to kill, and inevitably that's what they're used for. I for one am glad to live a country with a hand gun ban.

And I really don't care if a few folk don't get to play soldiers any more...
Old 02-06-10, 06:54 AM   #915
timwilky
Mega Poster

Philbo, please don't annoy me. I was one of the many legal and compliant fac holders who had their hobbys destroyed by the incompetence of the police and the resulting knee jerk reaction of politicians.

How would you feel if some clown said, bikers get killed, there are no need for bikes, lets ban them.

Anyway, back on topic. As someone who did testing for a living. I still cannot see how the local garage dyno would qualify for evidential testing against the only known directive for establishing motorcycle maximum power.

I guess MIRA probably are the only people who may have sufficient equipment/experience to conduct such a test in the area.
Old 02-06-10, 07:06 AM   #916
orose

I think the point Lozzo was trying to make was that the law is badly specified... it does seem to be a habit that the last government got into the habit of, in just blindly accepting the directives from the EU.

I suspect that if the law had said that a 33hp bike had to have a tamper-proof sticker on the ECU (for example), that we would even be having this discussion as it would be clear that the bike is restricted. As it stands, there is no such requirement, and so we end up with the current state of affairs.

The mephadrone laws are another example, as there was no evidence that it was responsible for the deaths, and it is arguable that Dunblane was the work of someone who was nuts, but was already a legally responsible handgun owner.
Old 02-06-10, 09:21 AM   #917
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
I know, then they can waste their time scraping inexperienced riders off the roadside furniture and going round telling their relatives they've just come into a whole load of life insurance cash instead.....
I doubt it would make whole lot of difference. All the loonie tunes ignore the 33bhp bit anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
What planet are you on? Who, in this day and age, needs a hand a gun? They are made to kill, and inevitably that's what they're used for. I for one am glad to live a country with a hand gun ban.

And I really don't care if a few folk don't get to play soldiers any more...
Nice to hear the opinion of someone who's obviously never been anywhere near shooting sports or responsible gun owners.
Old 02-06-10, 09:23 AM   #918
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by orose View Post
but was already a legally responsible handgun owner.
Here is my pet hate. That guy would never have been granted FAC if police had actually read his application before signing it. Dodgy references, previous medical issues etc etc etc.

It is a sore point because I quite enjoy shooting pistols. And I cannot do it in this country.

Last edited by yorkie_chris; 02-06-10 at 09:24 AM.
yorkie_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 11:35 AM   #919
Sally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Inexperienced riders come in all ages, and stupidity also comes in all ages.
Old 02-06-10, 11:39 AM   #920
Milky Bar Kid

In order to stop derails, I have created a handgun thread on IB....