SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-03-05, 10:01 PM   #1
Wilky_Boy

Default New boy doesn't understand chains and sprockets !

Hi there. I have a SV650S ( 2000 on a V reg ) and am looking for a new chain and sprocket set as the originals have covered 14K miles. A friend has said that by using the sprockets for the SV650 I could gain a bit of extra acceleration at the cost of top end speed. As the I rarely hit three figures I was wondering if this was a worth while mod and if so how easy is it to do. Will a need a new front sprocket, rear sprocket and chain ? Do I just buy the parts for th SV650 rather than the SV650S. Any comments on this would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 07-03-05, 10:04 PM   #2
Yams

Doesn't make any difference what bike it's for, you just buy the ones for your year of SV650S, but you get different amount of teeth on the sprocket.

i.e. front is usualy around 15 (no idea for standard SV to be honest) and rear like 44 or something for instance.

So if (for instance) STANDARD gearing is 15 front and 44 rear then to get more acceleration you could do;

15 / 46 or 14/44 etc etc

More teeth on the REAR sprocket = more acceleration
LESS teeth on the front sprocket = MORE acceleration.

So obviously more teeth on the front means higher top end and less on the rear = higher top end

Still with me??

So you want to find out what your current gearing is (the sprockets will have numbers on, like 15T on front somewhere etc) then you can change the gearing.

SV owners will prob reccomend some good combinations in a bit.. but 2 up on the rear will improve things without destroying top end.
Old 07-03-05, 10:36 PM   #3
jonboy

Default Re: New boy doesn't understand chains and sprockets !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilky_Boy
I have a SV650S ( 2000 on a V reg ) and am looking for a new chain and sprocket set as the originals have covered 14K miles.
Why, is the chain knackered?

Quote:
A friend has said that by using the sprockets for the SV650 I could gain a bit of extra acceleration at the cost of top end speed.
If you put a 46 tooth sprocket on the rear you'll have a small but noticeable gain in acceleration but as the SV is quite highly geared anyway (as are most bikes) you'll not notice any difference in top speed. It's the cheapest performance mod going.

Downside? Just slightly more buzzy at motorway speeds (as the revs are a little higher) and slightly worse fuel consumption.

I've got a 46 tooth and wouldn't go back

Old 07-03-05, 10:56 PM   #4
brolong22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
I've got a 46 tooth and wouldn't go back
Same here
Old 07-03-05, 11:00 PM   #5
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Me to, DO IT!!! A great Mod!!!

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-05, 11:14 PM   #6
Dan_SV

Ok so on a carbed SVS, what is standard gearing?

I was thinking of dropping a tooth off the front and leaving the rear standard, as it will have more of an effect.

Anyone done this? What's the top end like this? Or am I thinking a little too extreme with the downgearing? I just don't see the point ****ing about

Dan
Old 07-03-05, 11:23 PM   #7
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

15/44!!! they say that 1 off the front is equal to 3 on the back... Get yourself a nice 46 Renthal back sprocket and you'll be fine... (just my opinion for what it matters!!!)

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-05, 12:20 AM   #8
kern0079

I have a 01 SVS which stock has 15/44. I put on 14/46. It is a 8.9 percent change in gearing. This means that with stock gearing I was running 4500 rpm at 60mph (100kmph) and now am at 4900 rpm. There is a noticeable increase in acceleration and top end DOES NOT CHANGE. This is because with stock gearing I was unable to redline the bike. I can now bring it up to redline and am running approx the same speed.
Old 08-03-05, 01:23 PM   #9
svpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilky_Boy
...A friend has said that by using the sprockets for the SV650 I could gain a bit of extra acceleration at the cost of top end speed....
You friend is right, the naked bike has one extra tooth on the rear, compared with the SVS

Stock gearing on the SVS is 15 front, 44 rear. Naked SV it's 15 front, 45 rear.
Old 08-03-05, 01:26 PM   #10
svpilot

Welcome by the way!