SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-08-08, 02:27 PM   #1
gettin2dizzy

Default Oddity

So I went to look at a ZX9R today, knowing full well I can't afford one

The speedo was converted - it had a sticker over the KPH sign and went up to 280 'MPH'. So naturally I thought it was an import. When I asked the dealer he said he didn't think so, and pulled out the HPI. The bike was completely clear, no history of being an import whatsoever.

SO what's the deal here?! Reputable big dealer so I don't think they were trying to pull a fast one.

Oh - and there was one of these there too which I'd never considered before. Ar*e....more options to consider. So ZX9R or 955 Daytona..?
Old 16-08-08, 03:02 PM   #2
Biker_Billy

Default Re: Oddity

Daft question, but does a HPI check to see if it is an import - thought it was just o/s finance, crashed or stolen...?

I was in bike shops today too looking - I used to quite like the 955's - older ones mind - was looking at a newer one (like in your pic) and it doesnt look quite right from the front...headlights just look a bit odd in the flesh...

Prefer the ZX9, or even the 12...
Old 16-08-08, 03:05 PM   #3
Biker_Billy

Lifted from "Biketrader" re: HPI check:

What will the HPI Check tell me?
HPI will cross reference all the data you provide against a number of HPI databases to advise you of the following information:
  • Vehicle Identity - confirmation of the full vehicle description as registered with the DVLA, including the number of previous keepers, year of manufacture, import marker and scrapped marker
  • VIN Match - cross checks the VIN with the VRM to ensure the two belong to the same vehicle.
  • Date of First Registration - provides the date the motorbike was first registered at the DVLA.
  • Stolen Vehicles - Confirmation of any current Police interest registered against the vehicle.
  • Outstanding Finance - Confirmation of any finance registered as outstanding against the vehicle.
  • Condition Alert - Confirmation if the vehicle has been registered as an insurance write-off..
  • Condition Inspected - Identification of vehicles previously registered as an insurance write-off, which have subsequently been rebuilt and passed a structural integrity inspection.
  • Plate Transfer - Identification of any previous VRM changes registered since April 1990. All previous VRMs will automatically be checked for current interests registered against either the VRM or VIN.
  • Security Watch - holds details of motorbikes that should not be offered for sale.
  • Mileage Check - The HPI Check will cross reference the vehicle and its current mileage against the National Mileage Register database to identify and discrepancies in the vehicle's mileage history.
Stolen MOT Check - The HPI Check will cross reference the MOT Certificate reference number with the Vehicle Inspectorate's database of stolen MOT Certificate.

It does say it checks for and import marker...?
Old 16-08-08, 03:17 PM   #4
gettin2dizzy

Yeah it's one of the checks they do. I was reading through the HPI and it had its own section. Speaking to the dealer he says there's no way you could 'cheat' the system so he's mighty ****ed off!
I think I'll need to check frame numbers etc.

The newer shape did look brilliant; standing next to the zx9 it made the kawa look a bit cumbersome. Build quality also seems very far apart but that could be entirely down to the owner. I'm going to arrange a back to back test but they need to have someone riding with me *groan*.

I'd be very tempted by the 12 too as most miles I'm doing at the mo are motorway slogs. I just wish kawasaki wouldn't have such minging chavvy florescent paint schemes!
Old 16-08-08, 03:21 PM   #5
Biker_Billy

Did the mileage on the HPI check with the clocks on the bike - suppose the clocks could have been replaced with import ones - if they were damaged / faulty?

Unlikely I suppose...

The earlier green and black ones look good IMO...kwaks that it..
Old 16-08-08, 03:36 PM   #6
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker_Billy View Post
Did the mileage on the HPI check with the clocks on the bike - suppose the clocks could have been replaced with import ones - if they were damaged / faulty?

Unlikely I suppose...

I didn't check - it was a digital one so I would have needed to get keys etc. I wonder if it is a clone of some kind..

In real good nick, but too expensive for me. Still can't work out which I prefer out of the two bikes though.

Did you manage to come out the shop empty-handed then?
Old 16-08-08, 04:15 PM   #7
Biker_Billy

How much do you want to spend?

Yep - left empty handed. They only seem to have K6/7/8 GSXR's in dealers round here, so looking at £5k+, which is too much for me...

Had an interesting discussion with a bike shop manager who was trying to tell me that a 600 is a girls bike, and I should go for a 750 instead....oh, and by co-incidence he has a mint 750 coming in for part ex that day!!!

Thats why I hate dealers...
Old 16-08-08, 04:40 PM   #8
gettin2dizzy

Well I can get a good zx9 for 2.6-3. So if I chop my K6 SV in, I'm probably not looking at having to put much money towards a change.

Yeah dealers do suck. It does buy that little bit of security, but if you're only looking at low mileage, few years old 600s I don't think you need worry so much.
Old 16-08-08, 05:07 PM   #9
Biker_Billy

Would have thought you could get a decent ZX for that money...nice n comfyt oo from what I've read...

Don't think I'll bother with buying from a dealer...got a half decent offer for mine today part ex...but I reckon I can get a bit more so that it makes it worth while selling privately...

Just no chuffin bikes for sale down here...!
Old 16-08-08, 05:17 PM   #10
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
This one?

If only I didn't have blue textiles

Quote:
Would have thought you could get a decent ZX for that money...nice n comfyt oo from what I've read...

Don't think I'll bother with buying from a dealer...got a half decent offer for mine today part ex...but I reckon I can get a bit more so that it makes it worth while selling privately...

Just no chuffin bikes for sale down here...!
That's why I want one. A proper sized motorbike, none of this gsxr nonsense

I dread to think what value part-ex I'd get for mine. It's got a few scratches on it