SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-02-19, 07:34 AM   #1
Othen

Default SV650 K6/K3 Radiator

Good morn,

This is my first post.

I bought a 2006 SV650 on a whim a few weeks ago (I had a very similar bike which I bought new whilst living in Germany 15 years ago - I liked that bike and am re-living the experience). The bike is okay (new MoT, runs and rides well) but it was a £600 machine that needs a bit of TLC.

At some time in the past the first owner (I'm the second) has changed the original radiator for a Chinese copy (I don't know why), the mounting lugs on the replacement have all sheared and it has been help on with cable ties (for years - the guy couldn't remember how long). Whilst this works it isn't good enough so I've bought a new (used) radiator).

The new radiator arrived in the mail the other day, it was only £40 and is in good condition, but I noticed the radiator cap arrangement was different. A lot of research has shown it is for a K3 (with the remote cap) rather than a K4-6 as advertised. The vendor will take a return but I'm thinking that as it is in good condition I could just convert the bike to use it - that is the subject of this post.

I've ordered a second hand K3 filler cap (a tenner delivered) and the little bit of hose that connects it to the radiator plus new mounts and so on (all available new, and pretty cheap). It looks as though the half fairing will accept the K3 parts (there is a cut out where the hose should go and I'm guessing the bracket bolts on the radiator mount). My question is will this work, or is there something I have not thought of? If someone out there had a K3 and would send me a photo of the filler neck arrangement I'd appreciate it.

Best wishes,

Alan

Here is a photo:

Last edited by Othen; 09-02-19 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-02-19, 02:34 PM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV650 K6/K3 Radiator

Can't help you with your question about the radiator but if you're posting a picture you only need the https onwards from where it says img src= to the end where it says jpg. eg:

https://beta-static.photobucket.com/...8-original.jpg

so if you put that between the img brackets, you'll get the picture:

...oh, and welcome.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 03:26 PM   #3
Othen

Many thanks Seeker.
Alan
Old 09-02-19, 04:25 PM   #4
Othen

The bike runs and rides, has been used as a daily commuter but has been a bit neglected of late. It is not worth renovating a bike like this due to its low value, but I'm going to tidy it up a bit. Jobs to do:

a. The first owner (I'm the second) had changed the radiator for a Chinese copy some years ago (I don't know why), the fixing lugs on the replacement all sheared so it has been held on with zip ties for years, which works but is not really acceptable. I've bought a new (used) radiator for £40 - which is in good condition but I've noticed (after lots of research) it is for a K3 rather than a K6, and so has a different filler arrangement. The supplying company offered to take a return but didn't have a K4-K6 item in stock, so I've bought a few extra bits (for about £15) to convert the bike to use the good K3 item. It should all work - and is part of the fun of a project bike.

When I fit the radiator I'll complete the engine service - the plugs are a bit difficult to get to so it will be sensible to change them with the radiator off the bike. I changed the air filter yesterday (took 5 minutes and cost a tenner), and it runs much better now, which is hardly surprising when you look at the state of the old one:

b. The disc rotors are very thin indeed - I think the previous owner must have kicked the MoT tester's dog and broken his white stick to get that passed. I've bought a complete set of three trendy wavy ones with a new pads for £155 delivered (which is a bargain). I know they will be Chinese sourced copies at that price, but look pretty cool. I was going to fit them yesterday but came across a problem: the SV doesn't have a centre stand or much of a frame and so I couldn't find any way of jacking the front wheel. I've ordered a front wheel paddock stand which should solve the problem and I'll get the trendy brakes fitted next week. Whilst the front wheel is out I'll take the opportunity to give the fork lowers a coat of silver Hammerite smooth.

c. The clutch lever had been broken and repaired (pop rivets and tape). The new one cost £4.95 delivered and took a minute or so to fit. I sort of wonder why the previous owner didn't just replace it when it broke years ago ...

d. The grab rail was missing - which made it hard to manoeuvre around the garages. A used one was sourced for a tenner and sprayed with an aerosol can from Poundland - it looks fine.

Everything else seems fine on the bike. It starts and runs well (it has a nice Fuel exhaust - I've re-fitted the baffle I found in the box of bits, which keeps the neighbours a bit happier), handles fine (good Bridgestone tyres and taper roller bearing in the steering head) and looks okay for a 13 year old (it just needs a bucket of Gunk around the engine).

I'll get those little jobs done in the next few weeks in time to insure it in April (I'll add it to the Triumph's insurance when it comes up for renewal) and enjoy it a bit in the summer. I'll post some photos when it is done, in the meantime here is a video of it running.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ask6E_1jz4xIuj60za2YH0_xwwBc

Best wishes,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; 10-02-19 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-02-19, 04:32 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

dont throw the dirty filter out.. its a K&N and just needs cleaned and oiled.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 05:16 PM   #6
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
dont throw the dirty filter out.. its a K&N and just needs cleaned and oiled.
I'll put it in the washing machine with my socks
Old 09-02-19, 07:03 PM   #7
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I have a K&N filter in my curvy, it was in there when I bought it in 2010. I'm always used the K&N refresher kit to clean and oil it. Good value at under £20. I've just bought my second kit in 9 years.
garynortheast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 07:46 PM   #8
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Some pics of my K3 radiator filler

DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 08:39 PM   #9
Othen

Thank you so much for the photos - that helps a great deal. Where does the bracket that holds the filler attach to the frame?

It looks like my plan to convert the K6 to a K3 radiator will work perfectly well.

Best wishes,

Alan
Old 09-02-19, 08:54 PM   #10
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
I have a K&N filter in my curvy, it was in there when I bought it in 2010. I'm always used the K&N refresher kit to clean and oil it. Good value at under £20. I've just bought my second kit in 9 years.
Many thanks.

So, is the K&N filter almost everlasting? I'd just have to buy that little renovation kit for about £12 and I could re-use even the manky old one I took out of the bike?

Alan

Last edited by Othen; 10-02-19 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Typo