SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-07-19, 07:24 AM   #31
Othen

Default Re: Rukka and Belstaff waterproofs for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillhughes93 View Post
Ahh I'm from Scotland can you tell lol

Ahh, that would explain why you didn’t know about England being in the final of the cricket World Cup, and why you need Belstaff waterproofs

I’m only joking - no offence is meant. I live near Corby, which has quite a large Scottish population, so I understand the language fairly well

Best wishes Jill,

Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-19, 07:29 AM   #32
Jillhughes93

No offence taken how can I when it's true lol, waterproofs are essential here. Can plan a journey without them lol
Jillhughes93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-19, 12:21 PM   #33
Heorot

I remember in 1961 going into a pub in a remote part of the Highlands north of Bonar Bridge and trying to explain to the (very friendly) locals where Wellingborough in Northamptonshire was and getting blank looks. But when I said it was 18 miles from Corby, enlightenment dawned. One person had a relative thet worked for Stewarts & lloyds steelworks in Corby.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-19, 06:43 PM   #34
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
I remember in 1961 going into a pub in a remote part of the Highlands north of Bonar Bridge and trying to explain to the (very friendly) locals where Wellingborough in Northamptonshire was and getting blank looks. But when I said it was 18 miles from Corby, enlightenment dawned. One person had a relative thet worked for Stewarts & lloyds steelworks in Corby.

I could imagine that. Particularly before the steelworks closed in 1980 there was a large Scottish population in Corby. I still find it slightly amusing that there are people living here in Northamptonshire with broad Scottish accents, but were born and have lived all their lives here, and sometimes have never been to Scotland

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-19, 10:32 PM   #35
Jillhughes93

Thats pretty interesting, Scotland can be really beautiful if you've never been there's lovely roads to ride.
Old 12-07-19, 10:41 PM   #36
Heorot

For those that don't know. Stewarts & Lloyds were a steelworks based in Glasgow. They moved their operations to Corby in 1932 to take advantage of the large iron ore deposits and took their workforce with them, There were more than 4,000 Scots in Corby by 1939, and after World War II, more Scots arrived.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-19, 11:13 PM   #37
Jillhughes93

Glad they kept their employees this is interesting might give all this a bit of research and give it a read myself too. Xx
Old 13-07-19, 05:37 AM   #38
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
For those that don't know. Stewarts & Lloyds were a steelworks based in Glasgow. They moved their operations to Corby in 1932 to take advantage of the large iron ore deposits and took their workforce with them, There were more than 4,000 Scots in Corby by 1939, and after World War II, more Scots arrived.

Very nearly right. Stewarts and Lloyd’s was an amalgamation of Glasgow (Stewart and Menzies) and Birmingham (Lloyd and Lloyd) companies. The rest is right, it moved its main operation to Corby in 1932 because of the iron ore, which was close to the surface and therefore cheap to quarry.
It is said that in the early days the Main Street (Rockingham Road - still there today) had an English side and a Scottish side, although more workers seemed to have come from Glasgow than Brum over the years.
Corby still has a Scottish influence, but it is much less prominent than in the past (the town has grown a lot).

Old 13-07-19, 05:39 AM   #39
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillhughes93 View Post
Thats pretty interesting, Scotland can be really beautiful if you've never been there's lovely roads to ride.

I agree Jill, Scotland can be a lovely place to ride round. It is a pity it rains so much, and that you get those huge midges in the summer, but the people are very nice.

Alan