SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-07-19, 08:15 AM   #1
Lordspectre

Default Right indicator now working

Well folks how's it goin. I picked up a 2005 sv650s yesterday cracking bike. Got about halfway home and copped that the right indicator light is not working. It was working at the sellers house.. hazard lights flash, left indicator works just not right one. Any ideas? Hoping it's a fuse.lashing rain at the moment and no garage so can't have a look just yet
Lordspectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-19, 08:45 AM   #2
daktulos

Default Re: Right indicator now working

If it's anything like the curvy, it'll be the switch. It's pretty basic, and can get corroded. Taking it apart to clean is easy enough, as long as you remember where everything goes. As I said - only have experience of a curvy, but I imagine it's not too different.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-19, 08:46 AM   #3
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordspectre View Post
Well folks how's it goin. I picked up a 2005 sv650s yesterday cracking bike. Got about halfway home and copped that the right indicator light is not working. It was working at the sellers house.. hazard lights flash, left indicator works just not right one. Any ideas? Hoping it's a fuse.lashing rain at the moment and no garage so can't have a look just yet

So, neither front nor rear right indicators work when you operate the switch, but they do work when you turn on the hazard lights and the left side indicators work properly. If that is right then it can’t be the fuse (or the left side would not work), or a bulb (otherwise the hazard lights would not work on the right side) or any of the wiring leading to the lamps (same reason), so by elimination it has to be either the indicator switch or a bit of the wiring (maybe a connector) close to it.
It should be quite easy to check, find where the green wire emerges from the switch and check the voltage out (you can compare it with the black wire that feeds the left indicators). Some contact cleaner might well fix it.
Good fortune.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 17-07-19, 04:45 PM   #4
Lordspectre

Thanks lad will give it a go first chance I get
Old 17-07-19, 04:46 PM   #5
Lordspectre

Many thanks will update over next few days when I get a chance to look
Old 17-07-19, 11:54 PM   #6
Heorot

I had something similar. I hadn't realised the horn wasn't working until the right rear indicator stopped working. Like yours, the hazards still worked on all the indicators. Checking the left control cluster I found the flasher not working either. A real cluster feck. Full of corrosion so the solution was to replace the whole unit.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-19, 06:46 AM   #7
Lordspectre

Your getting me worried now....hazards, horn, everything else works perfect. Left unit. Light flasher works, left indicator fine just the right one. Very brief look yesterday whiteout opening the unit and the 2 wires look in good nick. Will try opening tonight for a better look
Old 18-07-19, 07:01 AM   #8
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordspectre View Post
Your getting me worried now....hazards, horn, everything else works perfect. Left unit. Light flasher works, left indicator fine just the right one. Very brief look yesterday whiteout opening the unit and the 2 wires look in good nick. Will try opening tonight for a better look

Before you open the switch and risk losing bits down the drain just check the electrical output at the green and black wires with a voltage meter (as above). The black one will be normal (so use that as the reference) - if the green one is normal then the switch works and the fault is in the connector after it. If the green one isn’t normal the fault will be at the switch - so at that point open up the switch and find out what is wrong.

When fixing things always check the easiest (and cheapest) things first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 18-07-19, 08:17 AM   #9
daktulos

For what it's worth, here's a photo of what mine looked like. The switch is pretty complex (mechanically) and basic (electricaly) at the same time. You can see the corrosion on the top contact. (Curvy caveat).

daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-19, 06:41 PM   #10
Lordspectre

Many thanks, will pick up a voltage tester in the morning