SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-06-10, 03:51 PM   #21
Welsh_Wizard

Default Re: Gym/running advice thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Ox View Post
+1 on the dont run in Gym, it's a waste.
two hundred and thirty four thousand nine hundred and 29 % disagree.

Running in a gym is as good as you put in. Same as any other aerobic exercise. If you do it half-assed because you don't want the blonde on the stepper to look down on you then fine, however i can work out just as well in the gym as i do on the road.

Fartlek training on a running machine is an absolutely quality work out. Yeah, you can do it on the road too but on a running machine it can be just as effective, if not more if done correctly.

I second the advice about the rubbish advice. What works for one won't necessarily work for another.

Ultimately this is a motorbike forum so whilst you can get opinion on here, i struggle to believe that you can get quality advice. Go to a specific health site like MensHealth and try your questions there if you are that desperate for advice. Either that or research yourself.

Or...if your feeling flush, seek out one of the thousands of personal trainers that offer their services these days. Not only will they make you a quality program tailored to you, they will be a fountain of relevant knowledge, a kick up the backside when your flagging and a whole host of other benefits.

I was like you, 2 years ago the best part of 18 stone. I am down to just under 16 now and most of it i put down to the knowledge i have learnt along the way from the personal trainer i had. Very little advice or knowledge did i get from a forum (including MensHealth), i find them only useful for product reviews.
Old 02-06-10, 04:04 PM   #22
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh_Wizard View Post
Running in a gym is as good as you put in.
+1, I've trained for two marathons with substantial proportions done on running machines. It isnt the same as running under your own propulsion but its perfectly fine for aerobic exercise.

If you are intending to lose weight, or specifically burn fat then harder training isnt necessarily going to help you. Quite the opposite, you need to determine the heart rate range for your body within which your body will burn fat, stay within that range for regular exercise and fat burning will occur, simple as that.

In addition you need to address your diet such that you are taking in the optimum amount of the right type of food and you will lose weight, no fancy supplements or energy drinks necessary.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 05:13 PM   #23
neio79

[QUOTE=Welsh_Wizard;2284979]two hundred and thirty four thousand nine hundred and 29 % disagree.

Running in a gym is as good as you put in. Same as any other aerobic exercise. If you do it half-assed because you don't want the blonde on the stepper to look down on you then fine, however i can work out just as well in the gym as i do on the road.

Fartlek training on a running machine is an absolutely quality work out. Yeah, you can do it on the road too but on a running machine it can be just as effective, if not more if done correctly.
[QUOTE]

rubbish, for startes you have to have an min incline of 4% to componsate for the eaiser run on a machine. As far as running goes there in NO subsitute for using the road or x-country routes.
Old 02-06-10, 05:50 PM   #24
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by neio79 View Post

rubbish, for startes you have to have an min incline of 4% to componsate for the eaiser run on a machine. As far as running goes there in NO subsitute for using the road or x-country routes.
sorry but that's just not true, if the intent is aerobic exercise then a running machine is one way to achieve that. The level of incline or speed can be used to adjust the heart rate needed.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 06:06 PM   #25
neio79

yeah it is, the incline compensates for lack of resistance on the ground, in the air and the machanical aid it gives you in your momentum. Not saying a running machine wont get you fit just that its ****e in comparison to propper running. Its better than nothing tho.
Old 02-06-10, 06:12 PM   #26
beabert

Theres seem to be a lot of advice on here telling you to build. You dont want to build do you?? you want to lose the excess weight and tone whats left. You still have excess fat hanging about so keep your calorie intake low, include cheat days and exercise to raise you metab. If you want to lift weight, lift light weights. The last thing you wanna do is build by using heavy weight and low reps, it will make you look fatter lol.

If you do decide to weight train, dont work you abs. They will get enough of a workout if you excercising all the rest of you body. You dont wanna be pushing that tummy out anymore lol.

Get on muscletalk, im on there somewhere, not logging in for a while.
Old 02-06-10, 07:13 PM   #27
Welsh_Wizard

My response was because that the guy said "running in a gym is a waste" - that statement is absolutely incorrect.

I am well aware that a 10-mile run on the road versus a 10-mile run on a 0% inclined running machine is different however consider this :

1.) Running on a running machine is useful for a beginning as it helps with gait, technique, gives you that little bit of aid and allows you to calculate your speed/distance/times a lot easier. Going out as a beginner with no target, no way of measuring yourself and no technique will get you no where except injury.

2.) Running machines are bouncer that road. If your a beginner that lacks decent running muscles around the ankles and knees, running on a machine is going to lower the chance of injury.

3.) A 10-mile run outside. Nice. How about a 15-mile run on a running machine at race pace with a 5 or 6% incline ?? Not much difference.
Old 02-06-10, 07:41 PM   #28
GeneticBubble

My 2p on the gym so may of already been covered:

• Dont train the same muscle group more than twice a week, i personally leave a three day gap, its recommended to leave atleast 48 hours.
  • Train heavy! don't pick up a weight which you can rep 12 times and then go for another set, go for the weight where you can lift it maybe 6 times with the last rep failing.
  • Stick to the big compound lifts to begin with eg: Squats, bench pressing, dead lifts, military press etc.
  • Try to eat one gram of protein per pound of body weight, obviously not all in one lump, space it throughout the day in smaller meals, protein shakes help aswell plus can could take a shake to fill you up instead of that bag of crisps.
  • Do the big lifts (AFTER A WARM UP) like bench pressing first in the gym so your muscles arn't fatigued.

Running will help you lose more weight which could lead to more flabby skin, i would stick to press ups etc to tone the chest, rowing is a good alround exercise aswell.

I wouldn't weight train and do cardio on the same day either, might add more as i remember what im being nagged about at the gym and pass on what i know

Oh and form is important no point doing an excercise if your form is all wrong, also could hire a personal trainer if you have lots of money to throw about, could prove helpful.

Edit: the above is providing you want to fill the skin with building muscle and not just losing fat and toning, not trying to be harsh either if you do lack a bit of muscle maybe its worth putting some on first so there is something to tone?

Creatine is fairly expensive, from maximuscle anyway plus when starting out you should get gains fairly easy with enough work with out splashing out money on creatine imo

Last edited by GeneticBubble; 02-06-10 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-06-10, 08:02 PM   #29
muddi

If you are running on the treadmill - make sure you set the incline to around 2.0-2.5 as this will help mimic road running. i.e you will be using more of your quads etc to lift and move your legs.. If you can try aim for around 45 mins cardio. I know the suggest daily cardio trainiing is 30 mins but if you can get the extra 45 mins in the better for you.

When on the machines work at cardio rate not fat burning rate - the machines should show your HR. If you are 24 then you should be training at around 135 - 157 (HR- heart rate reading) Its all well and good getting toned up and getting your muscles a lot stronger but dont forget you heart is the most important muscle of all...

And the best advice I can give you - because I have no idea how fit you are etc etc - how far/fast you can run or what strength you have in different muscles is get a personal trainer - in a gym they are reasonable rates.. Even if you only use them twice - they will be able to give you a personal programmed just for you and after around 6 weeks will assess how far you have come on and adjust the programme accordingly.

Nobody can give fitness advice like you are needing over a forum without knowing your history (any possible contra-indications you may have or health problems etc etc) Even the heart rate I have suggested is a general one for your age - it will vary depending how fit you are..

Congrats in losing all that weight - well done, its not easy.. and good luck with toning up the rest of you and getting fitter and healthier! ;o)
Old 02-06-10, 08:10 PM   #30
muddi

ooh and dont forget to have a warm up - maybe on a bike for around 5-10 mins then stretch out your main muscle groups then when you have finished - cool down for 5- 10 mins afterwards and stretch again.. But a personal trainer will take you through all this..

Personal trainers really are not a lot of money - but are really worth it!! They will show you the correct techniques on treadmills, cross trainers or resistance machines etc.. You can do more harm than good if doing something incorrectly..
In my gym at the moment they are offering 3 sessions with a trainer for only £45.. See what your gym can offer..
And as beabert says - lighter weights with more reps will help you to tone up your muscles - you dont want to bulk up.
Again good luck and let us know how you get on!