SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-01-05, 05:44 PM   #1
milaber

Default Sv old vs new

Hi guys!
Greetings from Greece!

I am not an Sv owner but i am considering to buy one (second handed) in the next few months.

I want to ask you what are the differnences between the old Sv 650 (before 02) and the new one (03 and after) except for the fuel injection system.

Is it worth giving the extra money to buy the new one or will the old one fit me well since it will be my first "real" bike too (i now own a 125 cc).

Thank you!

Old 17-01-05, 06:17 PM   #2
Steve

The new shape one has the looks "ONLY A MOTHER COULD LOVE". i personaly couldent live with any bike that UGLY..... (should get a few responces that one!)
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-05, 06:25 PM   #3
Flamin_Squirrel

Well that was a contructive post Steve

The new SVs have a different frame that is slightly lighter and stiffer, and they are slightly more powerful. I'm under the impression they are a more resistant to rust and such, but I'm not sure on that one.

Also, the seat hights and riding positions are different for the 99-02, 03 and 04/05 models.

As for your question about if its worth paying the extra for the new SV, I think the answer would probably be no. Although I would say it depends on what you like the look of most, and what you feel is the most comfortable.
Old 17-01-05, 08:36 PM   #4
goldengraemes

makes me laugh it looks so much better the new one doesnt look like a toy bike like the old one.it dont rust as much more power and better looks so new one all the way
Old 17-01-05, 10:37 PM   #5
snoopy

To design the new SV, Suzuki ran the original upto 70mph ... then slammed into the back of a stationary lorry.

Where'abouts in Greece you from?
Old 17-01-05, 10:59 PM   #6
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

get the older one, wasn't designed by lego, it'll be cheaper to buy, and better looking in my opinion.

Anyone noticed how bikes have already started to move away from straight lines and hard edges and back to curves, give it ten years and everyone will agree original shape is best!!!

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-05, 11:03 PM   #7
madEG

Default Re: Sv old vs new

Quote:
Originally Posted by milaber
I want to ask you what are the differnences between the old Sv 650 (before 02) and the new one (03 and after) except for the fuel injection system.
Some info is here on the differences of the new bikes from the older models.

http://www.suzukishowcase.com/street/cult/index.html
madEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-05, 11:08 PM   #8
aej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
The old shape one has the looks "ONLY A MOTHER COULD LOVE". i personaly couldn't live with any bike that UGLY.....
I think we can all agree with that....
Old 17-01-05, 11:48 PM   #9
rictus01
Mega Poster

Given the new shape was the only one, I probably wouldn't have tried it at all, which would have been a shame, as the bike is as enjoyable to rider as the classic shape, which has kept me entertained for the passed 2 1/2 year and still does.

I think the K3/4 is a better bike; or as good as the earlier ones except for,

1. the frame rigidity, which I think detracts from the cornering flexibility of the tubular frame.

2. the style, yes I know it's a personal thing, just not mine.

3.The lack of improvement in build quality, I would have expected Suzuki to have addressed more of these issues after 3 years of feedback.

Overall the difference in riding both bikes is marginal at best, if you intend to keep the bike and not worry about re-sale, the the older one would be my choice.

If on the other hand you only want a year on it and don't intend doing heavy mileage, then the newer one is going to give you the best financial return.

Being as the two are so close together in so many respects I think it all comes down to the style question.

Cheers Mark
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-05, 05:29 AM   #10
Junior

Best bet would be an 02' model (last year for the curvy one). IMHO Why pay more for FI and questionable styling? Either bike will make you smile though. (mind you the curvy one is easier to look at! No offence to you "boxy" folks out there )