SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-01-06, 09:19 AM   #1
Noufy

Default Advice Needed

I am changing jobs in a few weeks time and I need some advice, not about the job, but Biking.

Firstly - I currently have an SV650 K4, full fairing. I had my heart pretty much set on a GSXR 600 K6. My commute is going to go from 20 miles round trip to about 65miles round trip. Would the Gixxer still be a good choice or perhaps a 750 would be better or a complete different bike altogether. Looks do matter a lot, Mrs Noufy must like it

Secondly - I have been using a spada all wetaher jacket and Frank Thomas all wetaher trousers and they have served me well over the last 3 years. However in a longer commute I don't think they will be that good. I am specially thinking of the cold and obvioulsy wet weather. WOuld Leather give you better protection against the cold as opposed to goretex and what about the rain and obviously hot weather? I do not want to go the 2 sets of gear route I would rather have a very good all weather gear, even if it does cost quite a bit more. I heard Rukka are very good. And what of boots/gloves. I currently have Daytona boots and eska gloves.

I try to ride everyday except in the snow/ice.

All comments much appreciated.
Old 25-01-06, 09:26 AM   #2
BillyC
Mega Poster

The Gixxer might be fun but for a 65 mile commute every day, you've got to be kidding.

If you're going to be doing lots of miles, you want something comfortable, with plenty of torque. I would suggest that a 600cc bike isn't enough, and the agressive position of any Super Sports bike will ensure that you're rather fed up with your aches and pains after a few weeks.

I'd suggest something along the lines of an old VFR, or perhaps something more upright. But certainly in that kind of size.
Old 25-01-06, 09:30 AM   #3
Noufy

I do like the VFR, but not sure about seat height and all. I am 1m68 whcih is about 5'5 and not a lot of bike I feel comfy on. Whatever I go for will be new.
Old 25-01-06, 09:31 AM   #4
BillyC
Mega Poster

Just to explain, I used to commute between Islington and Gatwick every day... a round trip of nearly 70 miles. This would be a combination of industrial, motorway, urban and city roads.

That's 350 miles/week, some 1500 miles/month, which means your service intervals are going to come up very quickly on the SV.

After a few months, it was knackering me out too much along with the pressures of redundancy, and I had to resort to catching the train. I've never in my life appreciated rail travel so much.

I don't put my experiences entirely down to the bike... but it would've been easier on something more comfortable and powerful, and the Gixxer just wouldn't have fitted the bill.
Old 25-01-06, 09:36 AM   #5
Filipe M.

For that kind of distance my guess is you'd be better off with a touring bike... comfy seating, relaxed position, fairing protection, the whole lot.
Since you're a bit "vertically challenged", maybe the H*nda Deauville would suit you... Not exactly what you'd be looking for, but...
Old 25-01-06, 09:46 AM   #6
Jelster

I used to commute on a K4 Gixer everyday, 40+ miles round trip, taking in the Eastern section of the M4 (from J4) across town to East London. The Gixer was fine, I never did find the GSXR "uncomfortable", but.....

I hated clocking up the miles on a sportsbike. It was cleaned once sometimes twice a week, without fail and it still looked good after 18 months of commuting, but the milage put the value down. So that is something to seriously consider when making the choice of new bike.

I'm about 5'9", and the K4 was always comfortable, except when I had back problems, I could reach the bars, or get my feet on the pegs, but dooing both was agaony at times. If you really want to look at an IL4 sports bike suitible to do a lot of miles on, the Honda CBR600F would be my weapon of choice.

The riding position is comfortable and the seat height similer to the GSXR. It still delivers all the sports bike performance but these days is considered a bit of a middleweight sports tourer. The VFR is a great bike, sit on one and try it. The bars are above the yoke so the riding position is not so focused.

The SV is still a great commuting bike (hence me just getting another one) in naked or faired versions.

As for clothing, go and talk to the guys in your local Hein Gericke store, they are usually very helpful and have a wide range of clothing so you can try on various different styles.

Old 25-01-06, 09:53 AM   #7
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

I used to commute 100 mile round trip (Portsmouth to Basingstoke) everyday, rain or shine on an Aprilia RS125. I can't ever remember it being bad at all. Never felt wrecked when I got home.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-06, 09:54 AM   #8
Filipe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs
I used to commute 100 mile round trip (Portsmouth to Basingstoke) everyday, rain or shine on an Aprilia RS125. I can't ever remember it being bad at all. Never felt wrecked when I got home.
How many centuries ago?...
Old 25-01-06, 09:56 AM   #9
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs
How many centuries ago?...
Well I am only into my 4th year of riding, so about 3 years ago I'd say.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-06, 09:59 AM   #10
Cloggsy

Just a thought, but what about a Viffer 800