SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-06-16, 10:51 PM   #1
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed
Default The eternal glove / sleeve leak

Sunday I had the age old problem of rain running down my waterproof jacket liner and filling my glove. After 100 or so miles of rain the gloves filled up. I have not so far seen a sleeve / glove interface which stays dry for say 150 miles of rain. I've tried glove over sleeve with draw strings and sleeve over glove with adjustable cuffs. Any thoughts?.
Old 21-06-16, 12:07 AM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: The eternal glove / sleeve leak

yup,
if you get caught in torrential rain for lots and lots of miles then nip into a store and get some xxxl marigolds (or keep a pair under your seat) cut the hand part off. if your gloves are wet then put the hand part on your hands and then slide the cuff part of the marigolds up over your glove and make a 'gaiter' between the sleeve and the glove opening. if its due to the liner letting water down your sleeve then nowt you can do but tuck the glove inside your jacket or carry emergency overproofs.. this is one of the reasons i got the rukka stuff as it has no liner so no 'water bags' and wet outers. it was sore on the wallet at the time but its been worth every penny when its been needed.

i hate getting wet/cold as it makes me miserable and as such a bike ride turns into a chore. i never minded when i was younger but not now.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-16, 10:34 PM   #3
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman2 View Post
Sunday I had the age old problem of rain running down my waterproof jacket liner and filling my glove. After 100 or so miles of rain the gloves filled up. I have not so far seen a sleeve / glove interface which stays dry for say 150 miles of rain. I've tried glove over sleeve with draw strings and sleeve over glove with adjustable cuffs. Any thoughts?.
I've found that glove over sleeve only works if you have a good seal around the glove/jacket where they meet, Otherwise it goes up the sleeve! The Velcro sleeves on my Alpine* jacket make a great seal around the outside of my Gloves preventing any rain from getting inside the gauntlet of the glove.

The angle of your hands also makes a difference as to whether the wind blows the rain up your sleeve (if you are sat on a bike where your arms are parallel to the ground; eg an adventure bike).

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-16, 06:46 AM   #4
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjob View Post
I've found that glove over sleeve only works if you have a good seal around the glove/jacket where they meet, Otherwise it goes up the sleeve! The Velcro sleeves on my Alpine* jacket make a great seal around the outside of my Gloves preventing any rain from getting inside the gauntlet of the glove.

The angle of your hands also makes a difference as to whether the wind blows the rain up your sleeve (if you are sat on a bike where your arms are parallel to the ground; eg an adventure bike).
The jacket has a rain resistant outer which is good for about 20 minutes of light rain and a water proof liner. So the rain runs down the liner and into the glove, filling up from the thumb first. I cannot find a glove that fits me and will fit up the sleeve of the jacket.
Old 22-06-16, 04:50 PM   #5
Nutsinatin

Dane has a jacket with an inner sleeve that goes into your glove and then an outer that goes over your glove. The outer is gore tex pro so the rain doesn't run down the inside the glove as it doesn't penetrate the jacket outer. I've got most gloves inside the sleeve, the only one I've found that doesn't fit is my gerbing heated gloves, but the new ones with the smaller cuff fit. Jacket is pricey as it's gore tex pro but still cheaper than Rucka. Remembering to relax my arms and keep them as flat as possible rather pointing down has helped me previously too.
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-16, 07:45 PM   #6
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

I'm currently using Gerbing heated gloves summer as well as winter because they fit superbly and are so comfortable. I'll take a good look at the Dane jacket.
Old 22-06-16, 10:18 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

lom try my gloves on the next time we are out on a run.

BTW i looked a Dane stuff but could get TOTR last years Rukka cheaper. i got my jacket an almost half price to what it was selling in the UK, the trousers were a good £200 cheaper as well.
Old 22-06-16, 10:56 PM   #8
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Apollos ?
Old 23-06-16, 12:56 AM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

yup its the Appolo's. Rukka gloves are the opposite to their clothing in that they are sized one/two size smaller where the clothing is one size bigger so you drop a size. if you take Med gloves then get large. try mine on first. i have medium sized hands but long fingers and they fit a bit snug. mines are 11 but i feel i could do with 12's. i also cut the buckle strap off them as they are a PITA.