SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-06-19, 09:09 AM   #11
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: New Chain and sprockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by egcSV650s View Post
Ill have a look at the DID chains, I might leave the tooth up on rear sprocket just wanted a bit more acceleration but im happy with the stock so ill just leave it as it is, its just easier lol. Ill probably just get my chain done by my local motorbike shop as the chain is quite important and if i dont buy a proper chain kit ill just get it done. Thanks for all your advice. Ill have a look at that website about the gearing changes
With a nominal Ignition system,good fuel system and 100% balanced carbs/fuel bodies my 99 is pretty damn fast off the mark.I have not and will not,Wheelie" it as I've taken note of the warnings of oil starvation to the front cylinder because of the Engine design

I would imagine the later SVs are even faster off-the-mark
Old 01-06-19, 09:19 AM   #12
Talking Heads

If spring link clips are no good, why are they supplied with every chain I've ever bought?
Always used them, never had a problem.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 09:23 AM   #13
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
If spring link clips are no good, why are they supplied with every chain I've ever bought?
I sort of agree.Before the SV and years ago when I had chain driven bikes(Norton/BSA) they all had,"Spring Links".For me I just thought it better because for me the SV 650 is a much more powerful machine and seems the common advice.

Dealer's choice I suppose
Old 01-06-19, 09:31 AM   #14
SV650rules
Mega Poster

What model is your bike ?

Get a DID every time, the consequences of a chain breaking can be pretty catastrophic and then there is the service life to consider, get cheap and you may need to replace it a lot sooner.

Final drive on my 2016 AL7 ( naked) is 46/15 and with a few extra ponies available it can get 0-60 in about 3.3 seconds and certainly feels rapid. Original chain is specified as DID520V0 112 links. You don't need top speed - ( national speed limit is 70 ) - especially with a naked - even with the lower gearing I can still get mid 70's MPG and if I am trying maybe 80. A lower ratio may well make your commuting better as it gives a bit more flexibilty and a bit perkier at lower speeds.

I think it was Bibio that said despite the fact that one tooth less on front is worth 3 on the rear don't go smaller on the front sprocket, rather go larger on the rear. Smaller front sprocket brings chain closer to swinging arm and also causes chain to wrap around a smaller sprocket so flexing it more.

I am with R1ffR4ff on riveted chain vs spring link, prefer riveted, but if you do go with spring make sure the open end is the 'trailing end' when chain going the right way.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 01-06-19 at 09:35 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 10:53 AM   #15
glang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
I think its to allow you to put the chain on to get to a workshop where the rivet type link can be put on. I used the clip one, all correctly done, on my SV but it came off after few thousand miles (luckily without consequences) and isnt something I'll ever do again
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 11:28 AM   #16
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I agree, spring clip maybe to check setup, get to dealer etc before finally using rivet link, I would not willingly ride with spring link fitted on any bike over 20 ponies.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 11:49 AM   #17
glang

Mine came off on a Spanish motorway in the middle of nowhere and apart from not suffering any damage I was doubly lucky to pick up the chain (-clip link) and to still be carrying the spare rivet link on the bike. Then with the standard Suzuki tool kit and some large boulders I was able to 'rivet' the new link into place by the side of the road! It was that good I continued the tour and only got it checked at a dealers when back home....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 02:34 PM   #18
egcSV650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
What model is your bike ?

Get a DID every time, the consequences of a chain breaking can be pretty catastrophic and then there is the service life to consider, get cheap and you may need to replace it a lot sooner.

Final drive on my 2016 AL7 ( naked) is 46/15 and with a few extra ponies available it can get 0-60 in about 3.3 seconds and certainly feels rapid. Original chain is specified as DID520V0 112 links. You don't need top speed - ( national speed limit is 70 ) - especially with a naked - even with the lower gearing I can still get mid 70's MPG and if I am trying maybe 80. A lower ratio may well make your commuting better as it gives a bit more flexibilty and a bit perkier at lower speeds.

I think it was Bibio that said despite the fact that one tooth less on front is worth 3 on the rear don't go smaller on the front sprocket, rather go larger on the rear. Smaller front sprocket brings chain closer to swinging arm and also causes chain to wrap around a smaller sprocket so flexing it more.

I am with R1ffR4ff on riveted chain vs spring link, prefer riveted, but if you do go with spring make sure the open end is the 'trailing end' when chain going the right way.
Ive got a 2005 fully faired sv. Yeah i didnt want to change the front sprocket as heard alot about could chew the swinging arm but im not sure wether to go 3 up on the rear for the acceleration. I will definitly have it riveted.
egcSV650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 02:37 PM   #19
aesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Cheap chain riveters can be ok for light occaisional use, but you'll need to grind the head off one of the pins to remove your current chain. Trying to do that without grinding it will break a cheap tool straight away.
If you're grinding the head off then you don't need any sort of special tool to remove the link. A bit of brute force leverage will do the trick, you're not worried about damaging anything. As for refitting, the "soft link" supplied with DID chains can be fitted using a decent G clamp with spacer in the first instance to get the side plate home, then without the spacer to peen the pins over.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 04:41 PM   #20
egcSV650s

Which DID chain do i need, i forot to ask lol. Do they do chain and sprocket kits or only sell the chain? If i do go 3 teeth up on rear how many extra links do i need? Thanks
egcSV650s is offline   Reply With Quote