SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-06-14, 12:06 AM   #1
Aligowers

Default Idle issue. Curvy

Hi guys im having a little of bit of trouble keeping my sv650s 02 curvy at idle. I have new spark plugs and a new air filter. The bikes runs fine apart from when i come to a stop. The idle drops to 1k and then dies. The bike starts fine and will tick over fine when its on the side stand with no issues at all. When i adjust the idle screw up to around 1.5k and it will run fine but when i come to a stop its up at 3-4k. So i have to adjust it back down.
The bike only has 15k miles on the clock. There is no loss in power and it dosent feel rough at all. Any ideas whats going on.
Didnt want to pull the carbs out to clean or add a fuel additive without asking first.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers guys.
Old 10-06-14, 12:56 AM   #2
davepreston

Default Re: Small idle issue.

just a quick question when you adjust the screw to 1500 do you turn it off the start it again

iirc idle on a curvy should be 1300 roughly then up or down dependant on climate

anyway I used to set5 mine to roughly 1300 then leave it for 5 mins then start her up again I found that it was either running higher or lower than that so the made small incremental changes clock wise or anti clockwise stopping and shutting her off inbetwen every change till she was right, sounds long winded but only takes 5 or ten mins
Old 10-06-14, 01:01 AM   #3
Aligowers

When i adjust it i have the engine running and blip the throttle same as i have with most bikes ive owned. I have checked where the cable meets the screw nothing is catching its a little stiff. I have sprayed it with a little bit of WD40. I live in Scotland and although wet the weathers not very cold just now. I have not needed to use the choke as i said the bikes runs fine when its on its side stand.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-06-14, 01:30 AM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

adjust when bike is hot. even in the hight of summer the bike should need choke when cold.

how often do you use the bike?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-14, 01:38 AM   #5
Aligowers

The bike has been used daily since i picked it up at the end of last month. Its my main mode of transport and I do around 200-400 miles a week on it. Not sure how much the previous owner used it. I have only tried to adjust the idle when the engine is hot. After letting it run for 10 mins or after a run. Never experienced this with any other bikes ive owned. The bike runs great other than the idle dropping and stalling when i stop. It dosnt feel lumpy like other bikes ive had with dirty carbs.
Old 10-06-14, 01:46 AM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

could be a notched cam on the carbs where the idle screw end fits (the nib on the opposite end of the cable from the screw wheel). or gummed up choke plungers.

so you adjust the idle when hot to 1300rpm while out on a run, then if you let it sit idling for a while the revs will drop?

Last edited by Bibio; 10-06-14 at 01:47 AM.
Old 10-06-14, 01:49 AM   #7
Aligowers

The bike idles fine at 1300rpm on the side stand and when i did my oil chain the bike sat at idle for over 5 mins with no issues at all but as soon as its on the road and I come to a stop it drops to 1000rpm then dies.
Old 10-06-14, 01:52 AM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

have you adjusted the idle while the bike is upright rather than it sitting on the side stand?
Old 10-06-14, 01:57 AM   #9
Aligowers

Yes i have and it sits fine till i move off. When i come to a stop again the revs are either up at 3000rpm-4000rpm or have dropped to 1000rpm. Im not sure if its something to do with choke as i have not needed to use it i just push the start button and the bike fires up fine at 1300rpm. I leave it 3-5 mins while i get my gear ready then head off.
Old 10-06-14, 02:01 AM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

sounds like sticky choke plungers. as said even in the hight of summer a cold engine will need choke. have a play with the choke to start the bike when cold. if the choke only makes a small difference then its the plungers.

also check your battery terminal connections to make sure they are tight.